How do I change the automatic transmission fluid on my 2011 Camry?

170

Asked by Feb 19, 2012 at 03:06 PM about the 2011 Toyota Camry LE

There is no dipstick so I need to know where to add fluid and how to know how much to add.  Thanks.

455

read the owners man but pretty sure you don't have to change the fluid on those there is no dipstick for a reason.

170

Manual says to change at 50k to 100k depending on use but doesn't elaborate.

160

There is no dipstick because it is a hidden cap and has to be access through the bottom of the car. So there is no way to change the fluid besides taking to a shop. Just another way for them to make money off of owners.

1,715

All toyotas feature world class automatic transmission fluid that in theory should never have to be changed for the life of the vehicle

270

As a Transmission shop owner, nothing frustrates me more, than for a manufacturer of a vehicle to put such an irresponsible statement like that in their owners manual. There is NO SUCH thing as LIFETIME fluid. Just google the makers of the fluid and they will tell you the same thing. It will just cost you more to have fluid out in either at your dealer or any repair facility as it will require special equipment to pump the fluid into your car from underneath.

140

Your car uses WS (world standard) fluid which does not need to be changed for the life of the car. That's why there is no dipstick. Google "World Standard (WS) transmission fluid, 2011 Toyota Camry"

270

I have hated this practice by the car makers of eliminating the dipstick and saying the trans fluid is good for the life of the car. I had a Ford Explorer with that setup. I towed with it and used it off road extensively. Obviously the trans fluid and filter would need service occasionally when used in the manner I used mine. So I installed an after market kit that included a new higher capacity trans oil pan with normal drain plug, and a dipstick. Plus I added a reusable internal oil filter that just required rinsing and could be reused. That Explorer went over 500,000 miles trouble free. Plus I ran petroleum base oils in engine, trans, and differential. I am old school, didnt trust synthetic oils then. Not sure these days. But my point here is I dont like and will never accept the "life time oil" clause and no dipstick bull, Thankyou, Dick

270

One more comment, I just bought a used 2010 Toyota Camry that has no dipstick, and the trans fluid that lasts the life of the car. I will use this car on the street with a lot of freeway driving, no towing, just light duty. So for now I will leave the trans alone and just change engine oil and filter as recommended. I recommend this to anyone with a similar car used as described here. You should be OK if the car is used normally and give your driveway an occasional check for oil spots which would warn you that something is leaking from your car, simple. Dick

120

i think that toyota dealer just like to still people money they charge 385,00 dollars just to do a transmission oil replacement. i think that is bad practice from toyota dealer.thanks

it can be done yourself

For about 100$ and not pay them almost $400. I hate the shops on transmission places cause they dont change the filter and the never change fluid is a good way to spend $$$$ on a new trans. Change it every 30k

Best Answer
10

GOOD INFO.

50

No - you can not easily do it yourself. If you "change" the oil you will only be able to drain 1/3 of the oil without a fluid exchanger. So what would be the point of changing it?

30

I

20

Another Reason to Hate Toyota.

I use to drive a 2003 Accord. The way they say to change it was to drain what you can, about 3 quarts, drive it 500 miles, do the change again, drive another 500, change it again. After the 9 quart drain/refill they considered that an oil exchange. All I can say is 250,000 no problems at all. Did it 2 times. I now drive a Camry... it is so much quieter why I bought it.

http://www.toyota.com/t3Portal/document/omms-s/T-MMS-11Camry/pdf/2011_Camry_WMG_lr.pdf Maintenance schedule only indicates interval transmission fluid replacement if the vehicle is being used for towing, using a car top carrier, or otherwise hauling heavy loads.

170

I use it for all those so how do i change it?

160

How to change the WS automatic transmission oil of Toyota Camry 2011 in 30 minutes or less Video available: https://youtu.be/iTQ6UNtOhqo I have seen a couple of procedures for changing the WS transmission oil of Camry 2007-11 on the internet and they are unusually complex and time consuming. Here is what I did. You be the judge of which procedure suites you best. FIX CAMRY 2011 TRANSMISSION SHIFTING PROBLEM • This drain & fill will also rectify the problem if your transmission kind of “thinks” before shifting from 1ST to 2nd OR 2nd to 3rd gear when cold and the engine just revs up without going into the next gear. BASIC INFORMATION: 1. This procedure is for Camry 2011 with WS transmission fluid. 2. This procedure is NOT for Camry 2007 – middle of 2010 as Toyota upgraded the automatic transmission of Camry in middle 2010 to a 6-speed unit & eliminated the dipstick. If your Camry has a transmission oil dipstick, don’t use this procedure. 3. The total transmission oil capacity of Camry 2011 is approx. 6.7 liters (quarts). 4. No matter what Toyota says, the transmission fluid needs to be changed periodically. Imo, 60k miles. If it were not the case, they would not have given a severe service replacement guide. Secondly, Toyota also doesn’t say when to replace the power steering oil, again wrong as it too requires change. Any oil which services moving parts needs replacement as with time it deteriorates. There are several complex reasons for it, too long to be explained here. 5. Entire quantity of transmission oil can’t be replaced unless you dismantle it totally and then reassemble it OR you hook up a flushing machine by tapping into the input & return pipes of transmission oil which are connected to the heat exchanger. Both these options are complex, time consuming and expensive. MY ASSUMPTIONS: 1. The transmission was filled to the correct level at the factory. 2. If there is no leak in the system and you fill in the exact same amount that you drain, your levels will be fine. This will avoid the complex temperature compensated level verification. 3. You have seen other procedures on the net and are aware of the location of all the relevant bolts (drain & fill) on the car 4. You are reasonably conversant with working on the car TOOLS YOU NEED: 1. 6 mm hex socket (like the allen key) & ratchet 2. 10 mm socket & ratchet (tightening torque is 30-35 lb-ft) 3. 24 mm socket & ratchet (tightening torque is 30-35 lb-ft) 4. Torque wrench (not mandatory, you can do without it too just by experience) 5. Funnel & Plastic pipe 6. Hydraulic Jack & stands 7. Drain pan 8. Rags/gloves HOW TO DO IT: 1. Make sure the car has been parked overnight and everything is at room temperature 2. Turn the steering wheel fully to the left 3. Lift up the car 3-4 inches, leave the wheels mounted, use a safety stand for support if required 4. Remove the two 10 mm bolts on the left side plastic shield of the transmission (accessible from left wheel well) 5. Loosen the 24 mm oil fill bolt & remove it 6. Loosen the 6 mm hex bolt of transmission drain just by reaching for it, don’t go under the car. Be careful, hex bolts are notorious in getting a slipped head. So insert the hex socket fully into the bolt before trying to loosen it. 7. As soon as you remove the drain bolt, approx. one quart of oil will drain out in approx. 5 minutes. Once it stops draining, move to the next step. 8. Using the same 6 mm hex socket, reach in the drain hole and unscrew the plastic overfill tube. It’s screwed in loosely will come out just by your fingers. There is no o-ring on it. 9. Once you remove the plastic overfill tube, another one quart will drain in approx. 5 minutes. 10. That’s it, nothing more will come out. Reinstall the drain bolt but not the overfill plastic tube as you will do this drain-fill procedure at least 3 times and there is no need to install the overfill tube yet. 11. Using a measuring bottle, verify the exact quantity of oil drained into the drain pan. It should be 2 quarts if the ambient temperature is around 85F. 12. Refill the transmission with the WS fluid exactly 2 quarts. 13. Install everything that was removed (except the overfill plastic tube) and drive the car for a couple of days so that the transmission oil can mix well and cycle through hot/cold. I drove for 2 days. 14. Repeat this entire procedure after 2 days. 15. Repeat again after 2 days. 16. This way you will have replaced 6 quarts from the system, which should be enough. 17. If you want 100% of the oil replaced with this drain-fill procedure, it will probably take you 12 quarts of replacement and 6 repetitions of the above procedure. 18. My friends who have done this tell me that after the 6th time, the oil drained should resemble the color of new WS oil. 19. You can choose the number of times you want to repeat this procedure. Whatever you do, the last time you are about to fill the transmission, remember to put back the overfill tube before screwing in the drain bolt. 20. The overfill tube should only be finger tightened as it will break/crack if you use a wrench on it. 21. The use of the overfill tube is only when you are unsure if the transmission level is ok or not and want to verify the level. For that, you can refer to the other procedures available on the net. FAQ: 1. Isn’t it better to drop the pan to replace the oil filter also: Yes, it is better but also a pain. If it aint broke, don’t fix it. Unless there is a solid reason e.g. the transmissions is behaving abnormally, there is no need to drop the pan. 2. Why 60k miles suggestion: Because I have done it at 80k and it seems that it would have been better to do at 60k. The oil drained at 80k in my car was thicker than the new oil, meaning that it was contaminated & deteriorated. 3. Is oil color a good indicator of oil condition: Yes it is, in most cases. When the oil & all the additives in it degrade, the oil changes its properties including color. It’s not an exact guide but serves reasonably well. If you have any questions or comments about any mistakes, please let me know.

10

I have a 2009 Camry le I'm 22 At minimum wage. I'm leaking transmission oil from the uber cv joint thingy. Ima bit new transmission fluid after I replace the cv joint thing. But my question is, in a 2009 Camry le V6, how much transmission oil is needed? Total capacity at room temp

I have a 2007 and a 2011 camry that have no dipsticks. I have changed the ATF several times using the technique described. However, I use Max Life ATF, and have never had a problem.