Battery Dies After 8-10 Days, Some Convertible Top Motion In The Back

10

Asked by Mar 28, 2016 at 02:44 PM about the 2010 INFINITI G37 Convertible RWD

(2010 Infiniti G37 convertible)
Since last year, If I leave my car in the garage for more than week.. or 10 days, I come back to a dead battery. I have noticed, that every time this happens, there has been some initialization to the convertible top in the back where something has gone up or down without me trying to initiate the top motion.
My guess is something in the back moves, that drains the battery but I am not sure. Anyone got any suggestions as to what it might be? And how to resolve the issue?
Thanks guys.
R

5,185

I am sorry to hear about your issues with such a beautiful car! So most likely it is simply a cell that is bad in the battery, or something as simply as low water in the battery. When the car is cold, open the hood, and pry off the square covers on top of the battery. Be mindful that there may be some pressure so wear protective eye wear just in case. But observe the water level in each cell. If it is low, the battery will not store or conduct enough of a charge to remain charged. If the water levels are low, simply add some distilled tap water to the "Fill or Full Mark". Let her run for a good twenty minutes with all accessories (heater, radio, etc) off. That should fix the problem. Now if it doesn't, the battery may be a lost cause, or it could be another simple fix, the althernator. Running her by an Auto Parts store (most will test the battery and the alternator for free), will eliminate any questions you might have! Best of luck!

10

Thanks for the prompt reply. I got a new battery in October 2014, so barely 1.5 years old. Since last summer, the battery has died 4-5 times if I leave it standing in the garage. In January, I got the battery tested and everything looked okay. My concern is, what is causing the motion in the back that initiates one component and the likely drains the battery? Thanks, R

5,185

I re-read your question and my apologies on missing that portion. So you are certain its the top mechanism? If so, I would pull the fuse for the power top, use the car for a few days and see if that makes any difference. If it does, and the car starts regularly, without hearing the "motor" sound in the rear, the problem is with the top's motor. It could be something as simple as a failed start switch in it. I will keep an eye on your post and hope this helps! Best of luck!

10

The reason I believe the issue is related to the top mechanism is that every time the battery has been drained, I have to run the last part of the cycle to close the top completely (when you hear the motor between the rear seat and the trunk) even though the top is already closed.

I have had this happen 3 times in the last year or so...car sits for a week while out of town, come back to a dead battery. Once the battery drains completely, it does something to the top mechanism and there is a beep with no dashboard indicator. Had to have the timing on the top reset, but it keeps happening. Last time sat for 3 days. Battery has been checked and it is fine.