How to change rear spark plugs

Asked by Sep 25, 2012 at 09:36 AM about the 2011 Toyota Sienna LE 8-Passenger V6

299,705

Replacing the back "bank" of spark plugs will require that you remove the Intake Manifold/plenum. Some have got to them without it, but a little more worth and swival/extensions.

1,700

I replaced my 2005 Sienna rear plugs without removing the Manifold by removing the Windshield Wiper Housing (5 Minute job). It gave you 6 inches of room to get your fingers in there. Trying to remove the left rear without removing the wiper housing is near impossible.

1,700

These are the steps: 1 - Remove the wiper bolt and wiper. Then Pop out the plastic cover. It is just held by plastic "V" inserts. 2 - Unscrew the bolts in the metal bottom and pop out the bottom. All easy 5 minute job. 3- You can easily see the Plugs and the bolts to remove. there are few things with sharp edges. Use tape or something to cover them if you don't want to get cuts. 4 - Rest is simple plug removal. I tried to remove the left rear plug previously for hours without removing the wiper cover and could not do it. It took me less than 10 minutes with the wiper cover off.

150

I changed sparkplugs on my 03 sieanna same motor.i got left rear plug on passenger side out by removing hose from pcv , and got the other two out with a lil patients.i didn't have to remove nothing to get to plugs just that hose from pcv.i used a 1/4 ratchet and abot a 3inch extention,and a 3/8 to 1/4 adapter.that way way I could use a 3/8 drive sparkplug socket.i recommend getting a magnetic sparkplug socket fom autozone.that way you wont have to worry about that rubber brooment coming out.also use ngk or denso long life laser iridum plugs.my van has went from 308 miles per tank full to 370 per tank full in city.havent drove it on hwy yet.just remove plastic engine cover,scope it out and take your time.it took me 2hrs 30mins.

925

the 2003 is a different motor johnboy84. It is the 3.0 litre v6. Much easier to work on. 2004 they switched to the 3.3.

130

Mik00000, I have been trying for the last couple of hours, and I can't even get the bolts off to get at the spark plugs. I got the far left bolt off, but that's it. The socket got stuck to that bolt, but I managed to get the bolt off, and then throw the bolt + socket on the ground several times to get them apart. I probably should have stopped there, but then I attempted to get the bolt on the far right off. Now the socket is stuck on that. I grabbed another ratchet and socket and tried to see if I could just get it on the middle one, and I couldn't. So I called it quits for the night. Are there any special tools you used? I don't understand how you even got the bolts off, let alone the spark plugs out in that small of a space. Are you sure you have a 2005 Sienna? I mean, yours looks the same as mine... maybe it's a slightly different manufacture? I know that there are two different kinds of 2005 manufactures. I attached a picture of my van.

130

Here is the far left one. I have my finger over the bolt hole. There's barely any room to move around. And I have tiny hands (I'm a woman... my husband has big hands and so didn't even attempt).

130

And right here is the socket stuck on the bolt for the one on the far right.

130

And here is my hand trying to reach in to the one on the far right. My hand barely even fits in there, let alone trying to do anything in there.

130

No dice. So... that's as far out as I could get the left rear ignition coil/boot to change the spark plug. Looks like the whole intake manifold and everything needs to be taken out to change those rear 3 spark plugs. You must have a different manufacture date or something. It's impossible to get the coils/boots out. There's just not enough room. I tried turning it every which way, but there's too much stuff in the way. It's impossible.

10

I have a 03 Sienna and just did the spark plugs without removing the intake manifold It is a tight fit but can be done. You may have to turn and angle the ignition coils to get them in and out but I was able to do it without disconnecting anything other than the coil wires.

130

The design has simply changed. Check out this video of a 2002 Sienna: https://youtu.be/a5orM7uFVps There is simply wayyyyyyyyyy more room than I had to work with. I have tiny little woman hands. My index finger is smaller than my husband's pinky finger. And even I had trouble fitting my hands in there. When I finally got the bolt off to take the coil out, there simply wasn't enough headroom to get the coil out. It didn't matter which angle I would turn. There is not enough room. You just can't compare a 2003 with a 2005. They're just not the same.

20

Just changed my rear sparks plug on a 05 sienna le. It is the most stupidest design for something that needs regular maintenance. The whole air box, head, part fuel line assembly, a couple hoses,...has to be remove to get to those three stupid plug! I can easily see this costing like $400 at the mechanic for replacing three stupid plugs. Good luck and God speed, trust me, you will need it.

I am fixing to change plugs in my 2000 Siennafrom what I have read on these websites the engines change from 03 to 04 from a 3 liter to a 3.3 l the 3 liter is supposedly much easier to change then the 3.3 liter one gentleman said take the windshield wiper housing off five 10-minute job and there is plenty of room hopefully that will be my issue and or situation as far as the lady is concerned sometimes you have to take off accessories to allow enough room and that is just the bottom lineand the Japanese Engineers should be bound tied gagged and shot idiots but it is a Toyota good luck and God bless

just changed plugs in my 2000 Sienna the 3 liter I believe is easier to do than the 3.3 liter on the 3 liter you can get your hands back there to get the boots off. using the depth of the front plugs as a gauge you use various combinations of three eighths 3 inch extensions and 1/4 inch short extensions to reach the extension just coming out of the valve cover.just enough extension peeking out from the valve cover to get a ratchet on it. you need all the vertical room you can get to get the long boot out and plug back in. you must put thought into it installing plug because if you lose socket off extension you're in trouble. I actually taped the plug socket and extensions together so I would not lose them in the hole. this is very important. you do not want to lose a socket in the hole that is for sure. I have medium to large hands, it took persistence and determination but I got it done took me about 4 hours. I am disabled with destroyed back and neck if I can do it you can do it

any questions on a 2000 Sienna you can text me inTexas, 2147844152

Mik00000 posted his messages four years ago and never responded when people questioned whether he really had a 2005 Sienna and he really did change the rear plugs without removing the intake manifold. I agree, I don't think it is possible to do what he said in a 2005 since there is not enough room between the top of the spark plugs and the bottom of the intake plenum.

5

I agree Rob, he definitely did not have a 2005 Sienna. The manifold, air box, etc has to be removed but, once it's done the first time, it becomes pretty easy.

130

Keep in mind, that it's quite difficult to do in a Northern climate. Everything is seized on, so what seems simple ends up taking far longer.

Now that I have learned that the job is doable... Difficult but doable.... I don't have a place to do it. I cannot work on carz in my apartment complex so I usually go to the park but I don't start anything that will disable my van, I don't want the cops to have my hoopty towed. I have an acquaintance that let me work on my van at his house but I will have to drive there then I will have to let it set to cool down but his place is super nasty and no pleasure being there but it's my best option so I will do it. The worst is a front crank seal leak that I have to fix.... which means that I will be also changing the cam seals, water pump, timing belt and supporting hardware ie. idlers and tentioners etc. A job like that is a Hail Mary for a guy who only has shady trees tools in a coffee can and the car that I will be working on is my transportation to the auto parts store when those unforseen occurrences engage my patients. While I am driving this van all I need is a splash of water or strong gust of wind to blow up some of that leaking oil on to the timing belt and cause it to brake and crash the valves and piston, shiver!