I have a Kia Sorento and the back driver side will not open from the outside or the inside .. Anyone know what the problem might be the problem ??

70

Asked by Oct 25, 2014 at 08:55 PM about the 2011 Kia Sorento EX

16,640

I'm not being a smart butt.. is the door locked? Can you manually unlock the door?

70

No it's not locked but child lock is on so that's is why it want open from inside .. Don't know why it will not open from outside !!

16,640

It might be under warranty or recall. I just had the door latches on my KIA Sedona replaced under recall. Warranty is 5 year 60,000 miles on your Sorento if you bought it used and 10 year 100,000 miles if you bought it new.

70

The door handle is hooked to a rod that runs to the door lock and latch mechanism if the rod has come undone from the handle or lock assembly the door will not open and the only way to get it open is to pull the door panel off and reach into the door and find the rod that's it was hooked to and pull or push it to open the door

16,640

Itsrc79 is correct however removing the door panel a lot harder to do when you can't open the door. Take it to the dealer and take advantage or your warranty if you still have it.

140

To at least open the door from the inside, pull a section of the weather strip loose. This exposes a hole through the body. I sacrificed a small screw driver, bent it at 90 degrees. Fit it through the hole and trip the child safety lock switch. Look at the opposite side to get an idea of where it is in relationship to the hole. Took me about 10 minutes and most of that was figuring out the bend angle on the screwdriver.The dealer will not tell you this. They quote $700-$800 to cut the panel off the door to gain access. Once you can open the door, the repair is a lot less costly.

10

awesome !!!! this just happened to mine!!! i will try the safety lock procedure!!!

240

Hey there- I have the same issue and I'm NOT under warranty. My drivers side door now will not open from the outside. Anyone help with instructions with the door panel?

150

I just started having the same problem with my front doors, I have a 2011, at first it was the driver side, then 2 wks later the passenger side will no open from the outside.

110

I just had the "fourth" door latch fail on my Kia Sorrento on the past 2- 1/2 years. Anyone hear about a recall for this problem.

90

My 2011 Sorento door both driver side will not open from outside. Kia won't recall and I dont have the warranty. I reported it to kia consumer affairs. If this is such a big problem why wont kia recall it. I mean what happens if all the doors break and my grandbaby is in there? I dont know what to do next I heard they break again once you fix them.

30

Door handle hit me this weekend what a pain if you havent contacted kia you should I know I will be .dont have it fixed yet will post a solution soon

100

I have a 2011 serento and the back door on the driver side won't open. It opens from the inside. Is it easy to fix without going to the dealer? From reading the emails above, it looks like I should start getting experience fixing these doors!

50

All four of my handles did the same thing, starting with the rear. I did get the rear two fixed which cost me $400 per handle. Recently both my passenger and driver doors cannot be open from the outside and I have to leave a window open just to be able to get in my car. I will be calling asap.

40

To those of you who tried to use your warranty to get it fixed, did it work? This just happened to my 2015 Sorento rear driver side door with child lock on. I only have 20,000 miles and I am really hoping it will be covered by warranty. What a bummer, and it seems way more common on Kia Sorento's than I thought.

10

I also have this morning faced a back door from the driver's side locked and the door will not open.Lets all report this to our Kia car seller. This car is under warranty and they will fix it tomorrow but this is totally unacceptable

150

I have a 2011 Kia Sorento and my rear drivers side door child safety lock is on and my door will not open from the outside or the inside.

30

my 2011 has had this happen now on 3 doors, first was covered by warranty last 2 were not.

130

I have a 2016 sorento SE plus with only 5800 km on it and drivers door does not open for last two weeks as have to crawl threw passengers door to open drives door. I have an appointment with dealer in two days. Will let you know what he says.

40

I finally called about mine. It's covered by warranty and they are fixing it soon :)

130

I just came from dealer on door will not open from outside. It is the actuator which has to be replaced on all four doors. It is a defect from kia. It is all under warranty and is no cost to client.it will take about 3 hours to replace actuater in all four doors for my sorento. The parts are now available to all dealers and takes 48 hours to get them to dealers

20

@Kiaproblems. If the door problem is now considered a defect; will it be covered without a warranty?

150

I went to Kia after reading the responses .The door is not considered a defect, its not covered under a regular power train warranty.

130

I just had all 4 doors repaired by dealer as drivers door would not open from outside. They repaired all 4 actuator inside all 4 doors it was under warranty as car is 2016 with only 8000 km on it. Dealer said it was defect buy kia and replaced actuator on all 4 doors as only drivers door did not work. Asked dealer if they had changed many recently and was told yes a lot. Was told all 2016 manufactured between March to June 2015 for 2016 sorento had to be replaced as was using old system. Look on Internet and will see the problems kia is having with actuator dating back a while In my case all is well as all four doors have been fixed and all under warranty.

130

Do not know what year you car is but in my case all 4 doors the actuator were changed. All under warranty. They changed the actuator in July 2015 to a newer model as we're having to many problems with old model.Check interest as class action suit being being put forward in the US

130

Guys do not know what kind of dealers you are going to but change dealers . There are many shady dealers who will charge you then charge kia as double dipping. You have 5 years warranty what is problem? Look go back and ask for owner and talk to him? Phone kia head office. OR return to service dept and pull young kid aside and just say HAVE YOU EVER EXPERIENCED A KICK IN THE NUTS? IF SO THAT IS NOTHING COMPARED TO THE PAIN YOU WILL HAVE WHEN I SHOVE A TELEPHONE UP YOUR ASS !!!. NOW GET IN TOUCH WITH KIA HEAD OFFICE AND FIX MY CAR or buy yourself a pick up truck to carry your ass home every night. That's the way we do things in canada as we are polite people untill you screw us then we become a real pain in your ass. MAKE SURE YOU HAVE WARRANTY of 5 years still valid.

85

My 2015 rear passenger door is now doing the same thing. So INFURIATING!!

20

I have a 2011 Sorento and my front driver side and front passenger door stopped opening from the outside a few years ago. Unfortunately I bought it used and our warranty did not cover the problem because you supposedly must be the original owner for this coverage. BU**SH*T! I have also read that this happens on the Optima. Same thing for me, dealer wants $400.00 each door to fix the problem. Firestone says they'll do it for $300.00. Still ridiculous though! It is appalling and I cannot believe there isn't a recall for this since so many have had the issue! The one thing I am certain of is that I will NEVER buy another Kia... EVER!!!

30

I would encourage all of you to go to the National Highway and Safety Administration's page and file a complaint on these door handles. We've had 5 recalls on our Sorento, 3 back up cameras installed, 2 transmission issues that somehow aren't related to the powertrain, a window issue, steering wheel volume control doesn't work. I fought them on these door handles but they won't budge because it hasn't been recalled. Can't be recalled until there are enough complaints...

170

I am having the same problem with my 2011 Kia Sorento. 2 weeks ago my rear driver side door would not open from the outside, today the same happened to my driver side. I found this page after googling the problem. I called the Kia Recall number and the rep. told me that there is nothing they can do because this is not a safety issue, therefore it's not a recall issue!!! I was told to take the car into the dealership and have the problem diagnosed by them. It is no longer under warranty and I will have to pay to have it fixed. This is crap!!!! If there are these many people having the EXACT same problem, it is a malfunction in the production of the car. We should start a class action suite!!! This should not be fixed out of our pockets! What can we do? Who do we talk to? Kia is responsible, not the owners!

150

I agree a class action suit is necessary Lo1980. I'm all in.

80

Yes Class action!!!! 2011 kia sorento. about 1000 miles after warranty expired my rear driver side door won't open from the inside or the outside. I thought maybe it was because the child safety lock was on. Not 2 months later the driver side front door only opens from inside. The dealer said can't cover since it's out of warranty & I'm looking at about $800 to fix the 2 doors! I will never buy another Kia & i can't believe they won't recall. They say it isn't a safety hazard so it's unlikely to get recalled. I was about to leave for work had my driver door opened & my keys were in the car. My son closed the door & even thought that door was unlocked I was forced to call roadside asst to get into the car because the other doors were locked. Not to mention the fact that I have a 4 & 13 year old & whenever they ride with me they have to climb over since the rear driver side door won't open at all. And I look like a dumbass always climbing over my passenger seat to open my door. If I had an extra $800 to fix my car I certainly wouldn't have bought a Kia. And what happens when all the doors won't open. I guess you get what you pay for & I will never buy another Kia & when people ask me how I like it I tell them I hate the Kia! Not good advertising for people seeing all these Kia owners climbing in the passanger side to open there damn doors or not able to open the damn door at all! F**K KIA. Makes me really sick

330

hey everyone my door on kia sorento won't open on the outside.. i finally got it working … yes it is a defect from that no good kia… here's some photos on how to fix this shit… but ladys u will need a handy man to do the job … if the person need my video … email me at charlieroc22@yahoo.com…. it takes like 20minsto fix…and it save u money

330

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W9CiGu2HsZE heres the link everyone

20

roc622: Your video was helpful, but I wish it went slower, with some vocal explanations of what you were doing, and why stuffing foam in that slot worked. I wasn't clear on that. Otherwise great video, and appreciate you posting it.

330

ok the reason why i stuff foam inside is because it keeps that small white peace from falling backdown … so basically the small white peace is the problem of opening the doors from the outside… and the video is to show how to take the door apart and show everyone where the problem at…

20

Thanks sir.

140

I read all the complaints about the 2011 Kia Sorento and the same thing happened to me about door locked. So I took some of the customers advice from this webpage and filed the complaint with national highway and safety transportation. Here is the details of my complaint --> One of the 2011 KIA SORENTO door handles not working since 09/11/2015 and now the other driver side door handle stopped working since 04/18/2015. This is really frustrating, as I could open the door from inside but not from outside. I have two small kids, one infant and one 5 year old and I have to sneak one of them into the other door to open my driver side door. I am really frightened if what will happen if the child door is locked my infant is in the car seat and I am not able to go inside my car. This is a potential hazard for my infant child. Kia has to really step forward and replace this faulty mechanism. The cost my kia dealer estimates is 225/per door, so it will end up in 450/bucks for me and also the rep at kia dealer told me to go ahead and change all four door parts as the original parts used by Kia is really cheap and its of plastic. So it will cost me around 900/to fix my doors. I urge the Kia company to really fix this asap before someone gets hurt and/or result into fatality.

85

Do you have the email that you posted your complaint to...the national highway one? If we ALL shoot complaints to the same person, maybe they will agree to fix. What if your car was on FIRE and you couldnt get out? Now THAT would be a lawsuit. I am shocked Kia doesnt voluntarily recall before something bad happens. Please post email/contact info if you can! Thank you all!

140

Sorry I went on the http://www.nhtsa.gov/ and filed the complaint. It is a good idea SSMinnows that we should all shoot the complaints to one person hopefully at Kia corporate office, to grab the company attention. I am fully into this. Thanks SSMinnows.

85

Thank you! Its kinda tricky to find once you get there..so here is a more DIRECT link...right to the form. Thanks Evaa! https://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/VehicleComplaint/

170

I also sent a complaint on NHTSA, but I am waiting on the lawyer to call me back about the class action lawsuit I am in the process of on behalf of ALL 2011 Kia Sorento owners. I am sure I or the lawyer will be getting in touch with you all for more information. I pray this matter is handled and not by the owners!!! It is not our responsibility. If it's not Kia's responsibility to fix, then they need to get the maker of the doors involved!

150

I also have a 2011 Kia Sorrento with a driver side passenger door that won't open, It originally wouldn't open from the outside but the child lock was then engaged so it won't open at all. Kia wants $622 to fix it.The car has 91,000 miles and since I bought it used, there's no warranty. They acted like it was my fault that I didn't buy an extended warranty but I feel that this is a defect of the car. I am planning to file a complaint with the NHTSA as well as with Kia corporate. Please let me know of any collective action that may happen. I will pay to get it fixed since it's a safety issue but I intend to get my money back.

80

I also have 2011 Kia Sorrento, with driver side back door, will not open.

30

Also have 2011 Kia Sorento...if any lawsuit action, I need in...this is ridiculous. I'm fixing the car then selling this piece of crap.

80

Let's call good morning America , they can help.

235

I just joined the crowd this morning, when my driver's side door would not open from the outside. Before I read all these posts (and there are plenty of them), I pretty much could see what the problem is, but also could see that if I attempted to open the panel, I'd end up with broken clips, a panel that would not stay on, and of course in any event additional door lock problems in the future. I'll add my complaint to those filed with NHTSA, and wait for awhile before paying the local KIA dealer his unreasonably high charges. As the second owner, my 60,000 mile warranty ran out not long ago,so no sense trying that.

150

Just an update: I had the door fixed Friday - $600 for the diagnostic and repair because they had to take it off since child locks were engaged and it couldn't be opened from inside or outside. Since I cart kids around, I had to get it fixed. However, I also filed a complaint with the NHSTB and sent an email to the top three people in the corporate communications office. I then got a call from Kia consumer affairs who asked me to send my receipts in and they would have them reviewed. I should know in a week if I'll be reimbursed. I also was told by the dealership that if a recall was issued after I had it fixed that I could be reimbursed o hold on to your receipts.

20

Ughhhh so I get on Google to see if there is a way my doors can be fixed without having to take it in to my dealer. My front passenger side won't open from the outside, and the left back seat door will not open from either side. I guess it's a more common problem with the 2011 kia than I thought. What a bummer! Kia has to do something because this is a safety issue.

235

Hi Holly, I read about 50 posts concerning this problem, which is apparently poor design and hardware of the door locks on this vehicle. Mine thus far is only that I can't open the driver door from the outside, but other people have everything from one door on the outside to all the doors. Several of us have filed complaints with NHTSA, and also several have been in communication with KIA executives. Presently, KIA says this is not a safety issue, and most dealers will not fix the problems under warranty, especially for second owners (such as I am) who have vehicles which have exceeded the second owner 60,000 miles. I got another answer earlier today, which almost sounded as if KIA is considering a recall, which would get all these defective door lock mechanisms repaired at no cost to the customers. Keep your fingers crossed. There are a couple of videos around showing how an owner can repair a door, but it's labor intensive, easy to break several small parts or even damage the door. For now, I'll keep my driver window down when the car is garaged, and I can open the door using the inner latch, which works. When I'm away, I just have to get in the other side or the back, and reach over to the inner latch. A little hard with sciatica and osteoarthritis, but on the other hand, it counts toward my daily exercise (G). According to the blogs, repair of each door runs anywhere from $200 to $1000, depending on how easy that door turns out to be. The defective part is inexpensive, but the labor is not.

25

Lo1980, I filed with the NHTSA about the doors on my 2011 Sorento. I no longer tell people that I love my Kia. This is totally inexcusable. Count me in for the lawsuit.

10

How do I file with the NHTSA ... I too am having the same problem with my 2011 Sorento. I am sooooo pi**ed right now !!!!

235

Here is the answer I just received by email from NHTSA:Notification of Case Change (All times are GMT-0400) Workspace: NHTSA Hotline Center Case: KIA Sorento 2011 Door Latch Problem Case Number: 960711 Date: 05/09/2016 Time: 16:57:16 Creation Date: 05/08/2016 Creation Time: 12:28:38 Symptom: Entered on 05/09/2016 at 4:57:16 PM EDT (GMT-0400) by Shatara Gonzalez: Thank you for contacting the U.S. Department of Transportation’s Vehicle Safety Hotline Information Center. If you are interested in filing a complaint you may call our Hotline at 1-888-327-4236 and a Customer Service Representative will be happy to assist you. You may also visit our web site at www.safercar.gov for information pertaining to Recalls and Defects. The site will provide you with the following resource information: •Compliance Testing Database •How To File a Complaint •Early Warning Reporting Assistance •Questions and Answers on Recalls and Defects •View Existing Defect Investigations •Monthly Defect Investigation Reports •Search Technical Service Bulletins We hope that you find this information helpful. However, if you need additional information on our services please feel free to contact us at 1-888-327-4236.

150

Here's the link to file a complaint with the NHTSA: https://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/VehicleComplaint/. The more people who file complaints, the more likely it is that some action will be taken. Also, here's the link for Kia Corporate Communication contacts: http://www.kiamedia.com/us/en/contacts. After I emailed all of them, I got a call from Kia Consumer Affairs. I have had my car fixed and sent them the receipts for the diagnostics and repairs and am waiting to hear whether they will reimburse me.

20

In addition to filing complaints with the appropiate government entities. Please utilize social media to drag KIA through the mud. I just tweeted them. This will create a very negative buzz for them that they will need to address.

30

Had the same problem this morning. Driver/front passenger doors and trunk all will not open from the outside. After reading these posts I'll contact KIA and NHTSA - not happy.

30

I should have added, this is also a 2011 Sorento. 105K trouble free miles up until now.

150

Just an update that Kia corporate has denied my claim and will not reimburse me for my expenses. They stated that it was not a safety issue and that it wouldn't be a warranty issue since the car has 91,000 miles. I thanked them for their time and told them that I would be continuing to pressure the NHSTA to order a recall as well as communicating with other car owners via social media. I recommend that everyone who hasn't please file a complaint with NHSTA and start badgering Kia via social media. Clearly, going to the corporate office was a fail.

170

@Connie, I am so sorry to hear this! I am going to call and find out about the class action lawsuit I have started. This is ridiculous! The car is not that old and should not be having this problem. There has GOT to be something we can do to get this fixed without coming out of our pockets!

40

I also have the same door issue drivers side both doors on my 2011 Sorrento.. dealer said not covered but he did say he has seen it before, I will also be contacting the NHSTA . Cant imagine how many other people are having this issue .. really pisses me off if I am in a accident and they need to get my grandson out of his seat or even me as the driver ,, they wont be able to from the outside

10

I got the same problem today. Called KIA Customer Service and got a 'no' answer. I also filed a complaint with NHSTA . I was telling everybody how I loved my car - not anymore.

20

Ugh not what I wanted to read at 2 am, we just paid off our 2011 Kia Sorento and I swear everything has gone to poo in a basket first my driver side door wont open from the inside and about two weeks ago my rear driver door doesnt open inside or out. I have a 3 year old and 7 year old and while my 3 year old thinks its fun getting lifted through the window its not safe. Im really disappointed with Kia seeing that this is not just a me problem but lots of people with the same issue. On a lighter note i can report back to my smart ass father it wasnt somethjng i did!

150

Victoria, I encourage you to file a complaint with the NHSTA particularly since you have a 3-year-old you're having to get in and out through a window and your driver's door is also not working - that's a serious safety hazard. The more complaints they get the more likely something will be done. Also contact Kia - even if they still won't do anything, they need to,know how big this problem is. Has anyone had any luck pursuing a class action suit? It's ridiculous that Kia won't take responsibility for a clear defect that poses a safety issue.

150

Just an update. Kia is still not taking responsibility for the doors. I even told them that I transport my grandchildren and it's dangerous they suggested I fix it immediately.( $500 per door) Please let's continue to report to NHSTA .

235

For What It's Worth, this is the reply I sent to Kia Customer Service after they told me they could not continue to pursue my case unless I sent them a diagnosis from a Kia dealer: I called Kia of Cleveland, TN, and talked to the service department. The diagnostic charge for this door lock problem is about $110, and of course, in order to diagnose the problem, the door panel must be removed. That is also the first step to repair a door lock problem. I believe a reasonable person would assume that since the door panel has already been removed to diagnose the problem, and the needed repair is to replace the locking assembly (or some minor part related to it), the only additional expense for the customer would be the price of the defective part(s), plus the additional labor to replace them, so the charge for the repair would be the price of the diagnosis plus parts and additional labor, plus tax. However, that is not the case. I was told the estimated cost (assuming the problem is the door latch), is about $400. I was not given the cost of a door latch (the most probable problem), but I don't believe it would be anywhere near $300. It certainly does not make any sense for the repair department to remove the door panel, diagnose the problem as a defective door latch, replace the door panel, charge the customer $110 for the diagnosis, and then if the customer brings the car in again for repair, charge an additional $400, so they can remove the door panel again and replace the part. Even if they had offered to deduct the diagnosis charge if I wanted the repair to proceed during the diagnosis, I think the cost of even $300 is out of line, especially since I have always considered this problem a serious safety issue, meeting all requirements for a recall with no charge to the customers who have the exact same problem, many of whom have 2 or 3 defective door locks to deal with. So I'll just keep crawling across the front seat to open my driver's door from the inside. If I'm still alive and driving this vehicle when some fatalities are caused by these problems, and Kia decides to issue a recall notice, then it will be time for a repair.

20

Not only is the door lock a problem with 2011 but also with the older Kia Sorento. Mine is a 2008 bought new in 2009, I had to have a new transmission replaced in 2013 was still under warranty thank you Lord. Now, I have issues with car door locks. First started with passanger left side wasn't able to open from inside-had it fix lasted for about 6months, now it will not open from inside or out. After that my drivers side door I wasn't able to open from outside had handle replaced and it works fine. How can Kia say "it is not a safety issue"? I'm afraid to drive anyone in the back if something happens they will be trapped in the car since the door can't be opened from the inside or outside. This is so frustrating and unsafe and Kia is not taking any responsibility for this defect. I have made a complaint to NHSTA

80

Now it's my front door

80

I have nice man at Kia working with me.

80

I have phone number Kia nice man

170

@Trbeck what is he working with you on? Is he taking care of the problem at no cost to you? I can find someone to fix it...if I PAY for it, but I don't believe this is our problem to fix! It's KIA's problem to fix at THEIR cost! If this guys is working with you and fixing the problem at no cost to you, I would love to talk to him.

170

You all should send your information to the following website of a lawyer looking to start a class action law suit! http://mccunewright.com/kia-sorento-door Or call them at 877-557- 1250. The lawyer is McCuneWright.

I just bought a used Kia 2011 Sorento and discovered (after I left the dealership of course) that I have the same issue. Driver side back door won't open from the outside.

10

I bought a 2011 myself a few months ago it doing the same thing but sometimes its all the locks and very spontaneous!!! I cannot be trapped in a car when it can reach over 100 degrees in 15 minutes with children. I read your comment about that class action suit Lo1980 so I emailed the attorney and filed a complaint with the NHSTA. I'm not fooling with KIA, by the sounds of these comments they do not care about it.

20

I'm having the same issue really hoping for a recall. Also will never buy another Kia. I'm also having problems with the back door panels getting stuck on the weather stripping and coming off!!!

150

I had previously filed a complaint with NHSTA and have also emailed McCune Wright with my information.

40

also 2011 owner here with same problem just started. this is 3rd door with same problem, first two doors was done under warranty, nothing to pay on my end, but this time, i'm out of warranty. It's ridiculous that Kia is not willing to issue a recall when clearly, actuator is failing prematurely.

235

After doing more research and talking to several repair facilities (not Kia), the results are: 1. Apparently there are three possible problems that cause a door to not open from the outside. The most likely is a broken tab on the door handle, so when you pull the handle, there is nothing to move the locking mechanism. Next serious is that the part the door handle tab moves is broken off. The third problem, which is harder to fix because the window has to be removed, is a defect in the actual locking mechanism. After getting nowhere with Kia Customer Service, and not willing to wait until the class-action lawsuit (if it really is moving along) gets settled, I priced the repair of my door at a local repair shop which I have often used to repair my other cars when they get damaged. Bottom line is, either of the first two problems will cost about $250 to repair, including parts, labor, and tax. If the locking mechanism is bad (not likely), that probably would be about $300. The main reason for the price differential from a Kia dealer and this repair shop is that the labor cost/hour at Kia is very high ($110 here), and the parts markup is also higher. So I'm having this problem fixed locally, mainly because my problem is the driver's door not opening from the outside, and as the only driver, I am the one most affected. I still believe Kia should acknowledge that these door problems are actual safety hazards and meet the requirements for a recall.

150

The fourth scenario is if you have any of the first three scenarios AND your child lock is engaged - which is likely if you're driving children and the whole point of it - then you can't open the door at all and are looking at $600 for repairs. Unacceptable that they are ignoring this. Even though I've paid for my repair I have still reported it to NHSTA and submitted info for the lawsuit. The more people who do this, the more likely we'll see some action.

40

Dropped off my car at local Kia dealer for est around 10am and was told they would call me with quote before they start anything. I get a call around 1pm, says it will cost at least $125 to open the door(child proof locked from inside) + whatever labour to replace the part + cost for parts. Because I had to pick up my kid at 3pm, I told them I would do it some other date. So I went to pick up my car 15min later, guy says I have to wait 30min before they can bring the car out? HUH? I asked if you haven't done anything, why it takes 30min to bring it out? He starts making random excuse like, oh it's on a rift, guy is out on lunch etc. etc..Something did not smell right... I get my car back, i see screw cover behind door handle was off. Now I'm firm believing they actually opened the door but because I said I'll come back later, they locked it back up. Technically, they did no wrong since I didn't pay for anything. But to go that extra mile to lock it back up instead of just leaving it open as customer service gesture? ... common... a job that takes less than 10min and going to charge me $125 and up? Read BillChap's post on how to unlock child proof. I will be doing it myself and rest assure, will I only not go back to that dealer but never buy Kia car again.

235

I'm not a bit surprised (read my earlier post about getting a diagnosis, but dealer will not fix during the diagnosis, but instead puts everything back together, so you can pay at least four times as much if you actually bring it back for repair).

235

Just a quick note (better than sending a rant to the local newspaper which the readers will not understand) - I received my third call from Kia customer service (timely, because I had just dropped my vehicle off to be repaired at a local collision repair center), letting me know for the 3rd time that my car did not have a recall about door locks (I see the inter- communication skills at Kia are lacking). I kept my cool, thanked the caller and said goodbye. If a recall is ever issued (doubtful), I'll have the repair paperwork handy. Best of luck to you many other Kia owners with the same problem, many of them multiple door lock problems on the same vehicle. When mine gets finished, I'll post the final cost, just for comparison.

235

OK, door was fixed today (8/9/2016). In my case, the entire door lock actuator had to be replaced, simply because a small plastic part on the inside of the actuator had broken. Cost: 2 1/2 hours labor @$44/hr ($110). One part, PN K81310 2P000, $133.35 (in excellent condition, except for the small inside plastic piece that broke and caused the problem). Sales Tax @9.25% (TN sales tax is not exactly low). Total Cost: $265.86 (Quote from Kia dealer was over $400).

20

Joel, where in TN are you? In in Knoxville. Wanted to know where you went to get the repair.

235

I live in Ooltewah, about 11 miles north of Chattanooga near Interstate 75, exit 11. The repair shop was Action Enterprises, which is near the center of Ooltewah. To get there, you exit the freeway at Exit 11, go east on Lee Highway to Main Street (a Wendy's on one corner, a Walgreen's on the other. Turn south, and about 1/4 mile through a tunnel, and the street (Action St) is on the right, and the repair shop is about 100 yards from the corner. You can Google Action Enterprises and their web site has directions.

20

SAME HERE !!!! I have a 2011 Kia Sorrento I bought new in 2011. I loved it at first now the past 8 months is a piece of CRAP ! I am BEHOND upset. My door on the passenger side did the same thing, starting ripping and now, my husband had to take the WHOLE inside panel. When I went to the KIA dealer not only did they say it would be $125.00 to do an " assessment " but that is was not under warranty. I have 84,000+ on my car. I will be filling a complaint with the NHSTA and forwarding a copy to KIA! I also have trimming coming off, my hatch back is broke and my headrest on my seat falls off every time it is touched. THANK YOU FOR ALL THE POST. So sorry for us all, but glad t know I am NOT alone !!

235

Sorry you have had all that trouble, but I understand completely. As the original owner, your car is still under the 100,000 mile warranty, but that won't help, because if the problem is not drive-train or other specifically covered warranties, from reading these posts, only a few dealers will honor the warranty (they should all honor it, but so long as Kia keeps maintaining there is no safety hazard about doors that can't open, nothing will happen unless the NHTSA (funny that the acronym includes the letters TSA, and we know their reputation ) gets enough complaints to spark some action. Good luck, hope things do not get any worse.

235

Now that my door is finally working, hopefully from now on, I belatedly thought of an idea. We'll let some of the Kia executives drive our 2011 Sorentos (along with the non-working door locks) free for a couple of months-of course we'll choose those with small children,so they will have assistance getting in and out. I'm sure they will appreciate the experience!

In addition to reporting it to Kia it also needs to be blasted all over social media, "Don't buy Kia! Faulty door mechanism can trap young children in the car and Kia refuses to recall."

Ok I have the same problem.... Here is what is going on... My door clips have worn from the friction of door movement. And it started to rip at the top of panel and thus causing dropping of panel along with clips out of the holes. Then the door seal is catching on the panel causing it to not release due to car strip catching as you are trying to open it. I finally after a problem over 3 months of replacing clips and then fixing the striping... I just decided to yank hard on door causing the panel to come off... Door opened and then I unscrewed the panel rest of the way. Disconnected lock and handle... No opens outside not inside and now checking warranty to fix it or 2 weeks till another paycheck to get new door panel and clips to fix....

40

hello all KIA friends with door issue,,I took my 2011 for inspection I live in PA,, it failed because of the doors,,I took it this morning to KIA and was advised that last week they were notified that this is now a KIA issue, it is not a recall per say but due to the over abundance of customer complaints they have recognized this as their problem, I will keep you all updated if it was fixed as I will know by the end of day and I asked about everyone who had to have this costly repair made and he said they should be reimbursed with receipt,,so hang on to all your receipts and hopefully KIA will for once do the right thing

It is nice to hear, but still sucks, that I am not the only one with this issue. My front passenger door stopped opening from the outside about 5 months ago. I have to lean over to open the door or roll the window down so that my oldest daughter or passenger can get inside. When I use my vehicle for work related errands I am so embarrassed. My local mechanic quoted me at $445 to fix the door. They damaged the outside and the inside of my door when they originally tried to diagnose the problem. For Kia to say this is not a safety issue is beyond me!!!! I bought my 2011 Sorento brand new, put the first miles on it, and I loved it! But I keep reading where folks have issues with multiple doors. I am sorry I cannot afford that much to fix each door. Kia needs to do something!!!!!! Lisa, I am so sorry that your vehicle failed inspection but maybe this is the blessing we all need to get Kia to issue a recall.

Thanks for response Lisa. I was furtunate enough to have long discussion with Kia dealer about these constant door handle failures. I was on my 5th one. He was pretty understanding as I was quite frustrated as this was not a vehicle repair, but, rather a defective part prone to failure. They repaired both my rear door handles free of charge and as you mentioned I think Kia may be looking at some type recall of these defective door handles. Was quite ordeal for several days for us as crawling around like monkeys in order to open door. I know is only matter of time before have to go thru same ordeal , but, most likely will have new vehicle before this occurs. I doubt it will be a Kia

40

After following this post for awhile now we are super excited to announce we received a letter in the mail from KIA saying they will fix our door latches! Way to go warriors

20

Awesome news, Daniellexonk! Can you elaborate on the process that you went through to get to this point? This will help clarify for everyone what they need to do to get the same outcome.

170

I am SO excited to hear this news!!! Congratulations to us ALL for making this a priority and working together for the good! We put the pressure on and didn't give up! Go us!!! I have not gotten a letter yet, but this is definitely news in the right direction. I will be calling my local Kia on Monday!

40

well,, ironically my letter also came while my KIA was at the dealer being inspected yesterday. Although I need a ball joint my doors will be repaired free of charge on Thursday,, goes to show the squeaky wheel gets the doors fixed, It is a ** customer satisfaction extension program** with a discription of what we all have been going through. it also has a ** request for reimbursment form** this I wish I could use for the pain in my back I have from crawling over the seats and seeing my pain managment dr.

40

my question is are they going to reimburse all the KIA owners who painsakingly fixed this themselves,, my husband got as far as removing the glass and had to give up and this was extreamly time consuming ,, will they pay us for labor ,,lol,,

Hello Lisa, After meeting with Service manager and local dealership owner...explained to them calmly but assertive that with regard to my 2011 Sorrento, this would be 5th time door handles had to be replaced on my vehicle.When vehicle was under warranty they simply replaced handles at no charge, but , now warranty expired looking at pretty significant bill and they doing exact same thing...just replacing door handles. Never fix problem, just, keep replacing part. Explained that these guys need to get together with KIA and figure something out because part is defective and prone to failure...not breaking due to misuse or accident, etc. Told them I would always have my Sorrento serviced regularly or repaired by these guys because I wanted job done right even though dealer's hourly rate is significantly higher than reg mechanic, but, deal with these door handles bordered on ridiculous. Ended up bringing in vehicle, they dismantled doors and photographed for some reason. Couple days later called and said door handles would be repaired free of charge. Not sure if I just lucked out , but, also told them I would be in market for new vehicle shortly, was going on holidays and making point of visiting other dealerships to see how they treat customers with this problem. Anyhow, best of luck to you

Same thing happened with my 2011 kia sorento in canada. Anyone else from canada with this issue ? It hasnt been recalled yet here.

40

Lisalala, your warranty expired? have taken the car to dealership for estimate? I got Kia Canada to fix it free of charge. I took the car to local dealership for estimate, after being told it would cost me several hundreds of dollars, I emailed complaint to Kia Canada, how this should be recalled since so many people have same issues and they shouldn't be charging me, i would report to Transport Canada etc etc... use email (Service/Warranty Exerience) form here https://www.kia.ca/contact-us Next day, dealership service manager called me to bring the car back for 2nd look, even providing me with courtesy car, and they fixed it for free. I suggest you to take the car in for estimate first, see what your dealership has to say. Then contact Kia Canada. Do not pay for anything! even diagnostic. Good luck

Yes it is off warranty. I have already paid for the drivers door about a year ago. I have taken whole door apart and did the foam. And its not consistent when it works. The actulator needs to be replaced due to that white clip. also what a stupid setup to get at that actulator. Thank you for the link i will be writing them a long email.

Meant to say my passenger door went now.

Chris which dealership did u bring it to in canada ?

Hi Chris, im seconding Lisa's question.

40

Kia Richmond B.C. It shouldnt matter which dealership, When dealership tells you how much it will cost you, just decline and take your car back. Go home and file a complaint with Kia Canada, give them your vin number and which dealership you dealt with. Theyll contact your dealership to take care of you.

I called my local dealership (Burlington, ON) and they said to bring it in, and they're 'pretty sure' they can fix it no charge, one way or the other. I just told them that I know it's a defect problem, and other dealerships are fixing them for free.

150

Does anyone know how those of us who already paid for this can get reimbursed? I'm out nearly $600 and while I'm thrilled their starting to fix them, I would love to get my money back.

235

I received my Kia letter this morning. In short, here is what they will do. For back doors (this is only for back doors), the initial vehicle warranty is extended to 10 years, unlimited mileage. If your rear door locks do not work, they will fix them for free. For front doors, if they are working, they will apply a fix to both front doors (something about placing a clip in the latch mechanism). If they are not working, they will repair them for free. (Mine is a 2011 Sorento, and the letter specifically mentioned my model, so I'm not sure if everyone is going to get a letter with the same offer). The letter goes on to state that you can file a reimbursement letter (included) if you have already paid to have the problem fixed. I filled out the form, got a copy of the final bill from the shop that repaired my driver's door lock by replacing the latching assembly, included the required evidence of payment, VIN number, date repaired, mileage at time of repair, etc., and mailed it the same day. The letter states they will evaluate the request for reimbursement and make a decision within 60 days. I'll post the result when I find out what they do.

150

Thanks for that info. Mine is also a 2011 Sorento. I went to Kia customer service and was denied help a few months ago and then went through the dealer to get it fixed so hopefully I'm in their files somewhere since I'm not the original owner. Will post if I get a letter.

Joel are you in canada or usa ? I have paid 400 dollars already fixing my drivers door and now my passenger went. I called kia amd the lady is going to get back to me tomorrow. 2011 kia sorento. The dealership likes to say that usa is different than canada and they dont cover it. I said its all 2011 kia sorento actuators that dont work due to a white clip being defective. When I call amd make a complaint I like to let them wait some time for my VIN number as i cant open my passenger door to get at my VIN number in the glove box. Haha

Oh I just seen u are in the USA Joel. I hope we all get this problem fixed free of charge in canada and usa.

235

I certainly think the answer from Kia should apply to all 2011 Serentos, and for that matter, to all models which have that defective locking mechanism. Hopefully you wil get a letter soon.

I have been in contact with Kia Corporate Headquarters many times over the past few months. Just got my letter today for my 2011 Sorento. Have appointment to get the driver's door latch fixed this Friday.

I got a reply from kia. I had filed a complaint with kia corp. and in touch with a kia dealership my passenger is getting fixed as soon as part comes in ( which is a new lock system) as well as my back doors will be looked at and i am getting reimmbursed for my drivers door i paid 435.00 to get fixed last year ! Yay. Im in calgary, alberta.

150

Just got my letter today. Will be filling out reimbursement form and including my receipts for $600. Says it takes 60 days to approve or deny. Will also be contacting dealer about having clips put on front doors. So happy that all our pressure has led to this!

I just got my letter from Kia also. The normal warranty is expired however they have extended the warranty to 10 years/ unlimited mileage to cover door actuator problems only. I have the problem however had not forked out the several hundreds of dollars the dealership wanted for the fix. Now I can get the door issues fixed at KIA expense as it should be. For those who have already paid out of pocket to fix they provide a reimbursement form for you to submit.

235

Took my car to Kia yesterday. They were going to check both front doors, but I told them the driver's side had already been repaired and I had requested reimbursement. So they checked the passenger side, said they had installed the clip that supposedly would prevent that side from not working in the future. I'm waiting to hear about my reimbursement claim. At this time, all doors are working correctly.

Can someone send me a copy of that letter?

235

You did not furnish an address; however, there is always a plan B. I scanned both pages of the document (front and back), copied the text to Libre Office Writer, fixed up the worst text that did not make it through the scanner correctly, and you can read it below. Most likely, you'll receive a real letter by the time you read this. I could not send a copy of the request for reimbursement because I forgot to make a copy, but I'm sure if you call the Kia 800 number, they can email you a copy. Kia Motors America, Inc. Corporate Headquafters 111 Peters Canyon Road, Irvine, CA 92606-1790 USA CUSTOMER SATISFACTION /WARRANTY PROGRAM September 7,2016 Dear Kia Sorento Owner: Kia Motors America, Inc. would like to thank you for purchasing a Kia sorento. Because Kia values you as our customer, we are conducting a Customer Satisfaction Program regarding door latches in 2011 MY Sorento vehicles. Whv is Kia Conductinq This Customer Satisfaction Prooram? Kia wants to ensure that your 2011 Sorento doors function appropriately. Kia has determined that, after extended usage over years, the door latches may not function properly when being activated with the outside handle and the door may not open (the door can be opened when any inside handle is activated, however). What Will Kia Do? . FRONT DOOR LATCHES. If the driver and/or front passenqer door latches are properly functioning, Kia dealers will upgrade the driver and/or front passenger door latches by installing a spacer clip to the latches. If the driver and/or front passenoer door latches are not properly functioning, Kia dealers will replace the driver and/or front passenger door latches. This upgrade or replacement will be performed at no cost to the custome of the door latches has already been replaced, the other front door latch will be at no cost . REAR DOOR LATCHES. In addition, Kia is extending the warranty on the rear door latches from 5 years/60/000 miles to 10 years/unlimited mileage, starting from the date of first service, If, at any time within the extended warranty period, you experience the condition described above, your Kia dealership will replace dealersnip wlll replace the rear door latches at no cost to you. The remainder of your basic warranty for components other than the rear door latches remains unchanged at 5 years/60,000 miles. All other warranty terms, limitations and conditions apply and remain unchanged. What Should You Do? . Contact your Kia dealer at this time to verify if your vehicle is eligible for the upgrade or replacement of the driver and/or front passenger door latches and, if needed, to schedule a service appointment to have the front door latches upgraded or replaced. The time required to repair or replace the latches in your vehicle can vary depending on the dealer's work schedule. A service appointment is an important way of minimizing your inconvenience. Please present this notice when you arrive at the Kia dealer. Place this letter in the glove compartment of your vehicle for future ease of reference regarding the warranty extension on the rear door latches, preferably together with your vehicle's other warranty information. If the need arises to seek service regarding the external handles on your rear doors, show this letter to your servicing Kia dealer, If you sell your vehicle, ensure that you include this letter with the documents you provide to the buyer. TO flnd your nearest dealer,visit www.kia.com and click the “Find Dealer” button in the upper right corner. ("Dealers" on a mobile device). You can also use the QR code below with your mobile device to access this information (see the bottom of this letter for more information about QR code use): If you have experienced this issue and repaired it at your own expense prior to the date of this notice' you have the opportunity to obtain a refund. Please mail the attached Request For Reimbursement form with the supporting documentation directly to Kia for review and consideration Kia will review and respond to your claim within sixty (60) days of receipt. Kia may either accept or reject the claim or it may request more information to evaluate the claim. If you have changed your home- address, sold your Kia vehicle, or no longer own your vehiCle' please complete tne enciosed prepaid "Change of Address/Ownership" card and mail it to us' What If You Have Other Questions? . Should you have any questions regarding this Customer Satisfaction Program or your dealer does not respond to your service request in a timely mannLr, we suggest that you call Kia's consumer Assistance center at 1- 800-333-4542 (Monday through Friday, 5AM to OeM, eacific 6tandard Time), or through the owner's section of www.kia.com. Please accept our apologies for any inconvenience this matter may cause you. Sincerely, Consumer Affairs Department at the following address: Consumer Assistance Center Kia Motors America, Inc' P.O' Box 52410 Irvine, CA 92619'24LO 1-800-333-4542 QR Code Use: o A QR Code is a square, 2-dimensional barcode that can be read by mobile devices loaded with an appropriate barcode or QR Code Reader App. The app reads the barcode image and then launches/uploads the specific information the code contains, such as URLI, text, photos, videos, o With a mobile device, download a QR Code Reader App. With many devices, you can do this through an app store or marketplace. . Open the QR Code Reader App on your mobile device. The app will utilize your device's camera. Center the code in the camera viewing area. With some apps, the URL or other information will automatically load when the code is recognized. For others, you may have to snap or take a picture of the QR code. Refer to the QR Reader Code App instructions.

40

well I took my car on Tuesday and they replaced all 4 door latches as per KIA the dealer told me that is what they requested even as though it was only 2 that would not open, I am so glad this is over,,

Just had the same problem arise in our 2011 Sorento. Just bought it 2 months ago, used from dealership but it's not covered under warranty. Does anyone know if Kia Canada would still cover repair?

235

The answer is that Kia will repair rear door locks up to 10 years, unlimited mileage, and will also repair front door locks. See earlier posts above the one you posted yesterday.

Thanks -I did read through them, just wasn't sure if it mattered that I had purchased used from the dealer. What's surprising to me (and maybe shouldn't be) is that they don't just do it when you come in despite knowing it's a problem with this model.

40

this 'covered under warranty' went in effect just few weeks ago, probably after you bought it. also, this isn't recall, they wont fix it unless there it's broken. Doesn't matter if you bought it used or used from non Kia dealer. if it's under warranty, it's under warranty

Has anyone had or heard of any problems relating to a 2014 Sorento. I purchased mine from a dealer this February and have been having issues with it off and on. My child door locks are not on. When I drive anywhere weither I'm going 3 minutes down the road to hours, once I put the car in park the rear doors don't unlock from the inside and outside about 40% of the time. The only way that you can unlock the doors is from either the key fob or the front doors. Kia doesn't seem to think that this is a safety issue with my car. I have read all of your posts and wanted to know if any of you have heard of this. Thank you.

235

The letter from Kia explaining the extended rear door lock warranty and the offer to repair front door locks did not specify the range of vehicles that were covered, but I think they are including all the model years up to whenever they came out with a difference latching mechanism. I think it was from 2009 on the older end, but not sure which year is at the newest end. Call Kia and have them check. Since it's not specifically called a recall, it probably won't show up if you just check your VIN, but Kia should be able to tell you if the same offer applies to 2014s.

I've been dealing with the front pass door not opening from the outside for a couple months, now the same thing happened on drivers door too!!! AGH! After reading this great thread, I called Kia service center before and they advised that it will be covered under warranty and they have to inspect both doors 1st before scheduling the appt to fix the issue. Strange that they can't do it in 1 appt since they'll have the doors already off to inspect, but as long as it's covered, I am ok with it! I have a 2011 Kia Sorento purchased in Fed 2010 - 76k mi - It's been good to me before this door issue, only had to have brakes done (I also have the ABS sensor needs to be replaced now- 3 lights constantly stay ON on dashboard) - Thank you everyone!

Brought Sorento to dealer today and they are going to replace all 4 door handles but have to order the parts - all under extended warranty I didn't even know I had ?! They said the back door handles are on their way out too. For some reason I don't even think they took the door panels off because it doesn't appear ANYTHING is different as far as the door - unless the mechanic is perfect & I can't notice.... hmmmm

Ive read most of these posts, and 99% are complaints that i fully understand being that i have just fallen victim to the rear driver side door that wont open on the outside about a week ago. Luckily, i received my letter about warranty extension program last month, before the door failed. Hopefully, i wont be given the run around concerning repair. Best of luck to everyone. With the letter, also is a reimbursement form for those that paid out of pocket. Sev278, the part you need is called the ABS wheel speed sensor, costs 41.37 on Amazon.com. i have the same problem, just havent bought the part yet, easy to replace.

Just heard back from Kia- they are refusing to do anything about it because it's not under any of the normal warranties.

Kia service center replaced ALL 4 door locks, front 2 were broken, and rear they said they were on their way out. All were covered as Kia extended the warranty on the door locks because of the safety hazard it presented. Very happy they stood behind their vehicle.

235

AedenChan - Don't know who you heard back from, but they gave you wrong information. Call Kia corporate and refer to their recently decided policy to extend rear door lock warranties to 10 years, regardless of mileage, and offer to repair front door locks.

Joel- isn't that just for the actuator? My door will still unlock and open from the inside, just the handle on the exterior doesn't work because of that cheap plastic piece they use.

235

I had the exact same problem. I could open the door from the inside, but not from the outside. There are several possible defects that cause this symptom. In my case, it was the actuator, but others have had this problem because of the handle. In any event, the paperwork I received from Kia stated that they would repair the front doors (or fix a broken one and check the other), and this action is in addition to the extended warranty which applies only to the rear doors. So they should fix your non-working door, and check the working one.

10

Waiting for reimbursement from driver door. Mailed it 2 months ago, back door just failed and they are trying to get Kia headquarters to ok the new panel because door will not open from inside. Possible child lock???? I'm beyond annoyed! Thanks y'all. Any one want a great deal on a 2011 Kia Sorento??? It has a cool 3rd row seat!!! In my sarcastic voice! I'm so done with Kia!

235

Final update from me about this problem. I received my reimbursement check today for the total amount I spent getting my front driver's door lock repaired (the latch assembly was defective-one of the small plastic parts associated with the gear assembly inside the latch broke). My thanks to all with this and similar problems who did not give up and kept the issue alive until Kia finally rolled over and did the right thing. Perseverance does pay off!

10

2011 Kia Sorento here. Drivers side rear door won't open. Child lock on so therefore cannot use at all. My warranty is out, 86,000 miles and bought December 2010. Original owner. Planning to call Kia customer service tomorrow. Any advice on the process of trying to get them to cover the cost? I called dealership today and they made me an appointment, however they didn't mention anything about whether it was covered by Kia considering the amount of problems customers have had with this same issue.

10

I received my money to!!! Also update on back door!! Do not let them distroy panel and charge you!!! My dealership called Kia headquarter people and learned a trick to open door using a credit card!!! Child lock was on. It was fixed within the hour with this credit card trick! It was covered totally! Hope this helps! Crazy how they were gonna charge me 600 bucks to get in my door to then change the covered part but charge me for the 600 panel; All the while there is a way for them to open door without destroying the panel???? WTH? Jill: bring the letter from Kia with you! It will help but don't back down!!

10

I never received a letter from Kia. So I have no letter to use.

235

About 15 posts above this one, I posted a copy of the letter I received. Call KIA (number is included in letter), and ask them why you have not yet received your letter (assuming your vehicle is in the covered group). The rear door lock warranty has been extended to 10 years, unlimited mileage.

10

Thank you, I saw your letter but wasn't sure if Kia would respond to my request if I didn't receive the letter. But I'll start there with that number and do my best. Thank you for updating along the way!

150

I see a few people have received reimbursement but I have yet to get anything and I filed at least two months ago. Is anyone else's reimbursement taking as long?

235

Mine took about 70 days. Be patient.