how do i remove an alternator from a ford focus c-max 2005 reg. 1799cc

Asked by Aug 26, 2009 at 12:40 PM about the 2005 Ford Focus ZX5 S

I would like to take off the alternator from the ford focus c-max? I have been lookind for the fan-belt tensioner but I can not locate it. Please help.

145

I'm not sure this will really pertain to your question.. but, I Just changed the alternator on my 2005 Focus ZX4 SE. On my car it's located behind the engine, passenger side and slightly down. Not sure what the C-Max engine is like, but I have a Duratec and all I did to replace the alternator was this: 1) Detach Battery Ground 2) Move Power Steering and Coolant Reservoirs out of the way (just unbolting them, not taking off any hoses) plus unclip any wire(s) in the way. 3) Take off the two connections leading to the alternator (one is attached with a nut/bolt, and the other a Clip which I couldn't remove until the alternator was taken off.) 4) There's a plastic "pulley shield" on my car so I removed that to get to the Tensioner which was right below the alternator. 5) To then be able to remove the serpentine belt, you have to slightly "tighten" the tensioner pulley as in that way it gives slack to the belt which you can then move. 6) Once the belt is off, Remove the passenger side engine mounts and lift the engine with a floor jack (make sure to place a block or piece of wood in between as you'll be lifting on the oil pan). Make sure you watch out for the A/C and other hoses in front of the engine, that they don't get pinched or squished against the frame when you lift it. The engine moved up and forward enough for me to be able to slide the alternators in and out from the bottom. With the axle in the way it almost didn't fit, but if you lower it with the pulley facing up and wiggle it a bit, it'll come out. -Hope this was of some help to you.

20

This bottom removal method worked great! In conjunction with the passenger side motor mount, I also removed the mount from the bottom (that supports the tranny and engine) which gave me forward movement of the engine.Place the floor jack under the tranny an engine, jack the engine up just enough for the passenger side mount to clear the wheel well and gently tug the engine forward. With the pulley of the alternator facing upwards, the alternator dropped out with a giggle.

40

I just finished alternator replacement on a 05 Focus.Be patient and follow these instructions.@ hour job.Dismount and place power steering resevior and coolant recovery tank to the front end of the vehicle.Remove upper alternator mounting bolt and wire harness retaining bracket.raise vehicle and remove the 2 lower mounting bolts.Remove 13mm bolt holding the alternator cooling shroud and remove the shroud.unbolt the baqttery 12 volt cable.Unplug the regulator connector(2 wires at the connector.Remove lower motro mount bolt.Place a jack with a block of wood on it under the oil pan to support engine.Remove upper motor mount on passenger side.While pulling engine forward have a helper slide alternator off of the mounting studs and remove from between the drive axle and exhaust.Reverse procedure to install alternator.