Thinking of buying a used certified mini cooper. How much can I hope to get off the sticker price? Also, does it make sense to get a certified use car?

40

Asked by Aug 29, 2013 at 01:19 AM about the 2010 MINI Cooper Base

Looking at 2010 to 2013 for college daughter.

55

no it really doesnt they screw u over either way

I got a 2006 with the CVT transmission...paid 14,000----but it only has 33,000 miles on it...certified or not, do you LOVE the car? paid too much, but it is worth every penny....this buggy's a joy to drive....watchout on rocky or icy roads with this guy, though...the cobalt undershield becomes necessary after you've had your bottom punched in~

40

Am just thinking the extended warranty, that comes with a certified mini, will help if the car needs anything to be repair that is major for the next couple of years or so. Have never bought a used car before so is that naive to think this? waste of money?

209,955

As long as you have some money set aside for a repair or two, you don't need the extended warranty. Your basically paying upfront cost on a repair vs later, if anything actually breaks.

125

Just my 2 cents.. Make sure you get a warranty! I have already had my 2009 used Mini S I got in Aug. 2013 back to the dealer for a leaky water pump, while there they replaced front brake disks, all no charge. Just my thought but I think the people who traded in the MINI I got knew of the leaky water pump problem and possibly got rid of it before they had to pay for the repair. Which became my problem within 1 month of buying the car. Been lucky, knock on wood, no other issues since..

these are fun but as impractical as a Corvette's trunk~...but cute...a sort of fashion accessory for the wife (tile designer)~

30

Don't buy a Mini unless you have unlimited money for repairs!!! It's a money pit to say the least. We've spent over $6,000 in 1 year on misc. repairs and our 2007 mini cooper has only 50,00 miles on it. Yesterday the headlamp went out...no big deal right? Well the hood latch wouldn't open and here begins my latest nightmare begins. We go to the dealership and they give us 3 estimates of possible parts needing replacement, each one was anywhere from $100.00 to $300.00 that is just to open the hood! The cost of the light bulb quoted...$53.00???? That we were able to get at NAPA for $10.00 (extortion much????) The guy at the dealer suggested we might get their body shop guy to do it cheaper. His only option to open the hood was to break the grill and replace that. $269.00 to replace that. What???? The dealership offered a discount on their $150.00 labor charge and told us they had a guy that might be able to get it open with a long pry-bar costing us only $99.00 + the $10.00 for the bulb to replace the lightbulb?!!! And remember we still don't know how much it will cost to make the latch work again. In who's universe is this reasonable in any way!? A Mini Cooper is a cute fun car and the worst possible choice you could make if you love your daughter. it will be 1 problem after another until she goes insane or ends up homeless from paying for repairs! That is just my opinion but it is based on experience. DON"T DO IT!!!!!!!!

30

To anyone with a 2001-2006 having transmission problems there is a class action suit on your models. http://www.topclassactions.com/lawsuit-settlements/lawsuit-news/4537- judge-will-approve-mini-cooper-transmission-class-action-settlement

Well I've had a 2006 with almost 35,000 on it and have had no problems that are the car's fault....just a rugged boulder area not suited for such a delicate damsel~ I love my mini, if nothing else is just a JOY to drive that bugger~ cross your fingers...am not gettin' to fussy as the power steering sounds like a baaa-ing sheep for the first 5 minutes and it does drip from a water neck that my mechanic is going to have to order~ In short I am impressed with these and the level of respect the service dept. has for them...it was showroom spotless when I got it back....BMW...Berkeley Motor Works will do a top-notch job and fix it for less~

20

If you are looking for used Mini Cooper than bigboytoyz copamny offer you various option in very good price than other, also with six month warranty on transmission and engine. visit http://bigboytoyz.co.in/pre-owned-mini-cooper/ fro more details.

20

I know this question was asked several months ago, but for anyone who might be reading this thread I have a few words of advice. Never take your Mini Cooper to the dealer for any repairs other than those covered by warranty. They're labor charges are insane. Find a shop that specializes in Mini's or BMW and you'll save yourself a lot of money. I just had power steering lines replaced at $600 less than the dealer wanted to charge. Also, if taking your car to the dealer for any extended warranty repairs, have your mechanic look the car over thoroughly beforehand. The dealer likes to look for any excuse to not do the warranty repair and charge you money.

14,025

A certified pre-owned car is a really good idea, especially with a Mini Cooper. Why? They're problem cars. Don't believe me, check out Consumers Reports and just about every other article written online. You might as well ask them to throw in the mechanic as part of the deal. And, you're purchasing this for your daughter in college? Do yourself a big favor and get her a Honda Civic or Accord. You'll be much happier and so will she with less repairs and maintenance. After all, service is the name of the game here and paying attention to graduating college is more important than spending time in the repair shop or getting towed by the AAA. By the way, since this question is so old....did you purchase the Mini Cooper and how did that work for you? .. Maybe you're ready for the Honda now?

20

I bought a 2012 mini and love it. Purchased the exteneded warranty and dont have to worry about a thing for 100,000. miles. Great car and great mileage. Mini dealers are very good and take care of you with no questions asked.

14,025

Scott, good for you that you purchased the extended warranty. It will help you sleep better at night. When you think about it, its less than buying a cup of coffee at Starbucks every day ..