what could be the coz of ( 4WD! ) light in my Jeep patriot 2010, could be a bad rim or bad tire? ot this is some thing BIG?

255

Asked by Aug 18, 2013 at 04:34 AM about the 2010 Jeep Patriot Sport 4WD

26,395

I think we can rule out a bad rim or bad tire. If the 4WD warning light stays on constantly after you start the Jeep, you most likely will need to have the 4WD system itself at by a mechanic. Check the Owner's Manual to see what recommendations it gives for this warning light. It may be safe to drive, but the 4WD system is probably disabled...If it's a FULL TIME 4WD, it may NOT be safe to drive at ALL.

255

thank you for your answer, my jeep is not full time 4wd, its an option, and i will try to change the rim 1st then if not clear i will change the tire, just to clarify. thanx racer_x

26,395

Hello anaszeedia...Glad to be of help! How badly are the rim and tire damaged? The fact that the tire is damaged AT ALL is a safety issue and should be addressed ASAP. Your issue really might be independent of either the tire or the rim, but rather the Drive system itself. Again, I'd strongly suggest checking out the "Warning Lights" section of the Owner's Manual....I have a 2010 4WD SUV (Mitsu Outlander) myself and ran into an issue with the Stability Control Light staying on, when I switched it to 4WD mode....it was fixed under warranty. Yours may still be under warranty as well, so can't hurt to have a Jeep Dealer check it out for free! Keep me (us) posted....The other CarGurus are still asleep in their Sponge Bob PJ's....LOL!

You've got to shimmy under the vehicle to look for controls that have jostled loose, vacuum controls that have the line off and solenoids that are jammed or not getting the power...it is a physical problem that is precipitating this condition~

Best Answer Mark helpful
26,395

Agreed @ Judge Roy....something is up..and it ain't the rim or tires, IMO. About time you West Coast Gurus woke up! LOL!

Best Answer Mark helpful

silly bunny...been up since 3AM and 80 degree temps has me "goin' native" instead of jammies...thank you...and I yes some of us actually get your humor....none seem to get mine~

255

the dealer in the where i am is not that good, ( pasted on my several time experiances ), but after i answered you i went to check that, and i found some one is specialized in these jeeps, and after check by computer he said the main problem is in the new 2 tires sizes that i changed recently!!! and i have to change it to original size (17 60 215), the that i checked almost every where here with no hope to find it :( soon i will go to nearist main city and i will post the result. thank you Racer_X thank you judge_roy

255

hi again it works, i did changed back the tires to the original size and that light "4WD!" is "history" now (: hope every one read this to share it. (keep your tires original size, even its ugly).

26,395

anaszeedia...Glad to hear that it was just the tires and NOT the 4WD system itself causing the issue! Keeping the tires and rims at (or very close to) the OEM Specifications is REALLY the way to go!

10

Could you guys help me? My 4wd! Light is staying on also. It came on 2 days ago as I was pulling out of the parking lot from getting 2 new tires on the front and having them aligned. after reading all of this I think it may be the pproblem. I just looked and realized the new tires on the front are 15 50 17 and the old ones on the back are 15 60 17. Could that be enough of a difference for that to be the problem?