I have a 2010 Dodge grand caravan. When its cold outside and I start it up it makes a grinding sound for a couple seconds then goes away.

70

Asked by Nov 25, 2012 at 10:19 AM about the 2010 Dodge Grand Caravan SE

I also had a 2001 Grand Caravan that had the same problem. I bought it used in 2001. The dealer could never
find the problem. I had that van for about 4 years and the sound only got worse. On the day I decided to trade it
in for another vehicle the sound was so bad it didn't go away until I got to the dealer I was going to which was
20 miles away. I found out later it was the transmission going out. Now my 2010 Caravan is doing the same
thing. Is this an ongoing problem with these vehicles or am I just getting lucky enough to get them? The vehicle
is out of warranty on the basicstuff but the powertrain is still under warranty.

Try another dealer if practical. If you live in Podunk USA like I do the nearest dealer is 55 miles and the next closest is 70. Hopefully there is another within a reasonable distance.

70

I forgot to mention I have a remote start key fob. When I started it this morning with remote it started but then shut off in a couple seconds. I'm thinking it has something to do with the check engine light coming on. I checked the code and it is P0456, small vacuum leak. The dealer cleaned the gas cap an the check engine light went of, but only for 4 days and it came back on. They said if it comes on again they would have to do a smoke test. Do you think all of this could be related to the noise I'm hearing when it starts?

I have a 2012 Dodge Caravanthat makes a shrill noise for a couple of seconds on very cold days. My dealer told me It was caused by an idler the fan belt rides on. He also said those were back ordered an he would call when it came in. Its been over a week and he hasn't called yet. It also isn't cold anymore - its spring. (The dealer originally said it would have to bring it in the night before because he would have to here it.) I objected since it doesn't make noise when its not very cold - and, also I found a service maintenance manual that said the dealer could take the customer's word for it.) Do you think I would make this up? Really?

70

I took my van back to the dealer. They told me they pinpointed the noise to a "OIL PRESSURE RELIEF VALVE". They said they would have to order it. They they tell me it's on back order. Well it's been about 3-4- years now and still no call about the part. Needless to say, I do not own that van and haven't since 2013. I will never own another Dodge product again. I now have a Chevy Traverse and I love it.