How to get my timing back correct after replacing timing belt.

360

Asked by Jan 18, 2015 at 01:14 PM about the 2010 Dodge Journey SXT FWD

Belt broke on me as I was driving

360

I have went in and replaced the water pump and the timing belt. Mileage is 88000

8,675

I assumed that you have a 3.5L engine ..you say you broke the timing belt ...just so you know theis engine is not free wheeling ...meaning that if it spins with no belt the pistons hit the valves ...so good luck Labor Operations: Click to display a list of Labor Operations associated with this procedure CAUTION: The 3.5L is NOT a freewheeling engine. Therefore, the valve train rocker assemblies must be removed before attempting to rotate either crankshaft or camshafts independently of each other. CAUTION: If camshafts have moved from the timing marks, always rotate camshaft towards the direction nearest to the timing marks (DO NOT TURN CAMSHAFTS A FULL REVOLUTION OR DAMAGE to valves and/or pistons could result). TIMING GEAR ALIGNMENT 1. Align the crankshaft sprocket (10) with the TDC mark (9) on the oil pump cover. 2. Align the camshaft sprockets (2, 7) timing reference marks (1, 8) with the marks on the rear cover. 3. Install the timing belt (4) starting at the crankshaft sprocket (10) going in a counterclockwise direction. Install the belt around the last sprocket and maintain tension on the belt as it is positioned around the tensioner pulley (11). NOTE: It is necessary to compress the plunger into the tensioner body and install a locking pin prior to reinstalling the tensioner. See Timing Belt Removal for tensioner compression procedure (Refer to 09 - Engine/Valve Timing/BELT and SPROCKETS, Timing - Removal) . 4. Hold the tensioner pulley (11) against the belt and install the reset (pinned) timing belt tensioner (2) into the housing. Tighten attaching bolts to 28 N·m (250 in. lbs.). 5. When tensioner (12) is in place, pull the retaining pin to allow the tensioner to extend to the pulley bracket. 6. Rotate the crankshaft sprocket (10) two revolutions and check the timing marks on the camshafts and crankshaft. The marks should line up within their respective locations. If the marks do not line up, repeat the procedure. 7. Install the front timing belt cover (Refer to 09 - Engine/Valve Timing/COVER(S) , Engine Timing - Installation). 8. Connect the negative battery cable and tighten nut to 5 N·m (45 in. lbs.). NOTE: The Cam/Crank Variation Relearn procedure must be performed anytime there has been a repair/replacement made to a powertrain system, for example: flywheel, valvetrain, camshaft and/or crankshaft sensors or components (Refer to 28 - DTC-Based Diagnostics/MODULE, Powertrain Control (PCM) - Standard Procedure)

Best Answer Mark helpful
8,675

another pic

360

Yes it is a 3.5 liter. OK we have done all of that. Made sure that all the marks line up correctly. Didn't hear anything indicating that the Pistons hit any valves. But we reset the computer and tried to start and it wouldn't start. It was running fine before it just shut off. So what do you think it could be now? Thanks in advance

8,675

ok so you already replaced the belt and pump and it was running ...// and then just shut off and won't restart? try unplugging the cam sensor and then try to start it

360

No sir. Just replaced the belt and pump and it won't start. So it hasn't ran since the belt broke on me driving. Does everything need to be hooked back up? Like alternator, and the big plate that covers the timing belt?

8,675

not necessarily if your just seeing if it will fire back up....// I'm just afraid the you did pop the valves and you have no compression do you have a tester ...// to be safe I would check it

360

Are there 2 cam sensors or only one?

360

The two timing marks for the camshafts are lined up and the crank is lined up with TDC. Pulled sparkplug and strong gas smell on plugs. Could the cams be rotated 1 full rotation out of time?

8,675

hi one cam sensor ..and the plugs are wet with gas with the plug out crank it over with the plug in the coil and see if you have spark...// and no the cams can not be out of time if the marks are lined up

360

OK thanks. The plug spark as the motor was spun over.

360

Gas was expelled from cylinder as it turn over. We loosened the belt tensioner and made rotation to crankshaft to TDC while the cams remained lined up. Still no start.

360

What is the firing order for my vehicle

8,675

firing order is 123456...// did you take compresion??

360

OK thank you. No compression test don't have one yet checking with local auto store. Just now rotated the crankshaft one full turn using ratchet. Hard stop during rotation, moved cam to close valve then continued with crankshaft rotation to tdc. Reset cam to mark after making tdc made full rotation again using ratchet no hard stop. Turn key to start nearly started with 3 plugs out reinsert ed plugs turn key no start. Now seeing oil seeping from rocker arms the way it is supposed to.

360

Pulled negative cable to reset computer still no start.

40

Questio.. What if the bottom camshaft is about a inch off cause is hard to align i.. Then wha??

60

Why does my journey keep jumping time.? I put it back together after aligning cams and crankshaft to tdc assemble everything changed sensors cam and crankshaft started it and still won't go past 3000rpm so de assembled everything again realigned everything but don't want to re assemble till I know what's wrong.. I replaced timing belt and tensioner and hydraulic tensioner so idk

10

John

10

John, I don’t have a problem with my timing belt but i would like to replace it on a 2010 Dodge Journey 3.5 litter engine should i mark it on the timing prior to taking it out?

I have a 2007 honda accord i am changing the timing belt and water for maintenance reasons. I toke the timing belt off i mark the belt before taking it off as i was putting it back on i note that the Crank has turned when i try to line up the marks It wont let me turn the crank or the cams. So how do i line them back up.

I have 2007 honda accord how do i line up the timing marks with the belt off

160

Your vehicle will not idle above 3000 rpm when in park. It is a safety device in the computer. It is called limp mode or throttle limiter. Put it all together and go drive it.