My battery keeps draining and my car won't start in the morning.

Asked by Nov 04, 2014 at 04:28 PM about the 2010 Volkswagen Jetta TDI

I've had my car into the dealership and they say the battery and alternator are fine.  
They also said the parasitic draw test showed nothing.  I'm suspicious of the radio.  It
died about 10 weeks ago and the battery started draining 6 weeks after that.  I've read
that dead radios can drain the battery.  So I had a new radio installed by Car Toys, but
the problem did not stop.  The mechanics said they found nothing with the radio that
would be draining my battery.  I've tried locking the car at night.  I've been over
everything and there aren't any lights left on or no chargers left in or anything like that.
The mechanics say they are at a loss and have no idea what to do.  Any ideas would
be greatly appreciated.

Pattyann Oloughlin

i drained my battery by the trunk light,,might want to check that..

I know you had it to the dealership, but check your battery connections. and make sure the ground is good on both ends, clean and tight. Also have the battery load tested, autozone or a major autoparts store can do that.

Meganne Mulrooney

I have a 2010 Jetta tdi and radio died AND battery has now died as well got a new battery and it went dead in 90 days. I never had radio repaired but now am wondering if there is a defect in the 2010 tdi model. It's at dealership at $130 an hour to diagnose problem.

Funny, me too. 2010 Jetta TDi.

Chew Baca

Me too , exactly . 2010 Jetta TDI . Battery drain for over 2 yrs now . Had brought it to VW in Delray & coconut creek . Each time handed an absorbent amount of money , but the problem persists . Anyone find the solution?

Due to the recent discovery of the emissions cheating software, I don't have the confidence I once had in Volkswagen or my Jetta. Two weeks ago, every time I went to start my car the battery was dead. Literally, I met a friend for lunch & upon leaving my car wouldn't start. I went to three different places to have my battery & alternator tested. I was told that the battery was good, but needed charged, and the alternator was failing. The alternator tested at 13.77 volts, and barely failing. Two days later it showed a reading of 13 volts. I purchased a new alternator, as well as a new battery. The battery was replaced first- and the car started up just fine- without the new alternator. The original, 'failing/failed' alternator then passed the test. Truly bizarre.

2010 Jetta TDI here. Radio touch screen stopped working about 4 months ago. Car has been not starting in the morning for the past 2 months, off and on. I am going to have battery tested today. Currently cannot afford an alternator, so I hope that is not necessary. Seems to be only when it gets super cold outside.

Derek Curry

Same problem, It happened in the past before the radio went bad and they replaced the battery cables, will be taking it in to the shop in the next few days to see what they say.

Julia Johnson

My 05 Jetta will not start recently without being jumped. I have had it in the garage 3 times and they claim they can't find a problem. So frustrating!!!! Help

Eivor Baillie

My Jetta New 2005 drained 2 batteries (took 45 minutes to drain a brand new battery!)and then the diagnose was: the latch on the passenger back door was draining it! It was disconnected and I am fine but drive with 1 unlocked back door. On a test it used 0.140v and it should have been 0.025v.

Pattyann Oloughlin

It was my 1999 Mercedes SL 500>.Mileage is 62,000.The batter is one year old,,So my honey took the batter back to auto part store and Thankfully they r replaced it,,You usually get a 3 yr warranty with new Batteries ,,BUT always Check before you purchase..Thanks to All for Your HELP..ox