Bad break job?

Asked by Jul 22, 2013 at 09:01 AM about the 2010 Dodge Avenger R/T

I had two repairs done to my car within two weeks of each.  The first was a brake job.  They didn't have to replace the rotors, just the other parts of the brakes.  Also did a power steering flush and refill.  The second job was a noise coming from the front of the car which was resulted in a shock replacement.  Two days after the shocks were done, the alignment is all out of whack now. The steering wheel is significantly to the left now to go straight.  The noise from the shocks seems to be gone, but the alignment is off and the brakes squeak almost as bad as before I took it in and I have been hearing them grind really bad.  So what is the chance that the bad brakes are causing the alignment issue.  I am taking it back to where I had it done, but I know they will try to charge for the alignment when it was fine before I had this work done. One shop did brakes, another did shocks.  Go to the brake place first?  Thanks

222,765

First off, you should always replace the rotors today when replacing pads so you don't run into issues like you are having. Second, when replacing the front stut on your car , you should always do an alignment. Have another shop do that for you because I wouldn' trust themwith an alignment if they didn't know what they were doing the first time around.

Wow, it's a way way longshot but you should get your money back. Steering wheel off where it should be is one of the most annoying things I can think of. Listen to Tom. Go someplace else. Dealer. (if you can afford the cost) but like most or all of us, cash is way tight. Best wishes drum

Thanks for the answers guys. That is what is annoying me about this. None of this was cheap and now it is like I paid all this money and my car is worse off than it was. The shock job was the dealer. I got an extended warranty when I got the car so I had to go to them for the warranty. The brakes were done at a big national chain. So, do I understand correctly, this is two separate issues? Would the bad brake job affect the alignment, or is it just a coincidence that something is up with the crappy brake job and the alignment is because of the shocks not being done right? I have not had great experiences with the dealer, so this was my last repair with them before the warranty expires. I just have a hard time not going back to both places and telling them they did a crappy job, now fix it before I go somewhere else. Thanks again

222,765

Your going to have to go back and complain if you want to be driving a safe car. They are 2 seperate issues BTW. The brake job has nothing to do with the alignment. So here's what I would do. Go back to the National Brake chain and tell them what your issue is and that you are not happy. They will tell you need new rotors and you tell them that you want them installed for free and parts at a discount. The shock as your calling it is actually a Strut and is integral to the front suspension, and when you swap a strut out, they should be replaced in pairs and an alignment MUST be performed. Do you go back to them and complain? You can have the brake place do the alignment for you if you want, or take it to a tire place, as they do a couple alignments day. Alignments cost around $50-$100. Your choice. Good Luck.

Thanks for the advice Tom.