Three automatic transmissions, which one would you choose??

25,145

Asked by Mar 28, 2017 at 10:59 AM about the 2010 Subaru Outback 2.5i Limited

According to this expert from Australia,  here's an analysis of each,  see below,
The point is that there's only one that holds the engine in peak power...

https://youtu.be/4OSDw-uyP98

96,365

Still cheerleading CVT's Mark?

25,145

F_O_R---. Apparently, I'm not the only one saying good things about this, did you view the YouTube video?

96,365

The only experts I listen to are real world experts like our friend in Boston.

96,365

Apparently you have selective hearing Mark. This foul mouthed "expert" also mentions that CVT's have reliability and cost issues. The only plus side to CVT's is theoretical, reality however.................is another thing. One true thing he does mention is that reviewers of CVT cars do not mention the costly problems with CVT's - probably because the auto manufacturers would not lend them cars for testing if they did!

25,145

F_O_R-. Really? What do you mean exactly by "real world experts".... And, what may I ask are your qualifications?? For your information, John Cadogan has a degree in mechanical engineering.. see this, https://au.linkedin.com/in/john-cadogan-a207598b http://autoexpert.com.au/about/ Talk about bias opinions, Ernie has been consistently trashing CVTs from the time I bought this subject up. What part of the video did you not understand where he explained the real benefits, not fake news.. about CVTs holding the engine in the best RPMS for maximum efficiency.. I just reviewed the video again, and he doesn't say anything about them failing unless you rev the engine and drop it into "D". Who does that? And, all transmissions need a periodic oil change.... Basically, he really likes the CVT transmission technology and told me that all the "fear mongering" is just rubbish. Yes, keep your alternate transmission.... The world is changing to more and more CVTs.... Luckily, Subaru has a better CVT transmission than Nissan. There's a legion of people out there with CVTs, and not all of them have the catastrophic failures that Ernie or a few people have cited. I would say that the vast majority of them are just fine. That's why, Subaru has completely abandoned the old electronic automatic transmission in favor of the CVTs for efficiency and durability. They didn't do this to prop up the service department and ruin their long standing reputation for building good cars. You may disagree and that's OK with me... I know you have the Forrester with the manual transmission... I hope you learned something from John's video, I certainly did. I used to like manual transmissions, but, they are not practical in congested areas...And LA freeway traffic is very demanding. Had one for 11 years in bumper to bumper situations and it just got old.... Good luck with your car.

96,365

Mark I have friends that are mechanical engineers that would not know a CVT from a hole in the ground. Your foul mouthed expert did not demonstrate any expertise in transmissions but laid out the basics for people completely ignorant of the inner workings of automobile transmissions. Ernie has demonstrated REAL knowledge in his posts, not the glib and smarmy ramblings of a self proclaimed "expert". People turn against bad transmissions because of experience which is something you lack.

96,365

Subaru did not shelve the old automatic because of durability issues but to get another MPG out of their cars without resorting to 6 or 8 speed automatics which would be a better choice in my opinion.

96,365

To quote this jackass regarding CVT's "durability and costs are issues hiding in the wings" He also claims you need to spend $3,000 every 60 to 100,000 kilometers to change the CVT oil and timing belt. If this is what you want you can have it. Listen carefully at the 16 minute point Mark.