Do you need or just appreciate AWD?

14,115

Asked by Nov 25, 2015 at 02:39 AM about the 2010 Subaru Outback 2.5i Limited

Except for maybe one car in Subaru's lineup,   all their cars are AWD.
Did you purchase the car for this reason or would you have considered other
cars with AWD?

14,115

The BRZ sports coupe is rear view wheel drive, see this

83,665

It depends where you live and your lifestyle. Mark for me where I live front wheel is more then enough for me.

100

Definitely need AWD. Rather have selectable 4WD but seldom available anymore.

2,820

What your question is masking is the sporting elephant in the room: AWD INCLUDES RWD, which is what allows control of the REAR of the vehicle when engaged in cornering IN ANY CONDITIONS, not just slippery ones. Ask any BMW driver (or cyclist!) about throttle-steer. AWD adds the terrific natural feel of RWD with added safety of the front axle for wet/wintry driving. That's the reason FWD-based "awd" systems aren't any more fun to drive then their FWD progenitors: the rear is not engaged until slip occurs, so they feel like front-heavy, unbalanced masses 99% of the time. This is ESPECIALLY true when cornering in the wet UNLESS heavy throttle is applied. That's why Honda/Acura, Toyota/Lexus et al "awd" are inferior to RWD-based systems like BMW, MB, et al. One can argue that the purest systems are in AWD all the time, and when symmetrically balanced, and with a great steeriing box, are peerless. These include Audi Quattro (b.1983) and Subaru (1990). I also like the superb ATESA (sp) used by Infinity in their RWD- based G Series. It adds FWD only when a 5% slip is sensed, seamlessy engaging the front end. The advantage of this is very slight improvement in fuel eco (which is miserable anyway) AND the ability to use staggered wheels and tires as long as a rolling radii are kept within a couple percent. (To wit I use the G37 RWD Coupe's staggered 225/50-18 f and 245/45-18 r setup on a G37x to great effect. i would NEVER do this on a Quattro or Subie as they really want to see equal rolling radii. If you want better handling in a FWD-based "awd" and you're stuck on a hill, drive it up BACKWARDS for better traction...then maybe you'll start to feel the advantages of the native RWD AWD systems. So I'd revise this query, Mark, to not just raise the dust in the noise floor.

14,115

Here's some info, Subaru has all four wheels driving at the same time, there's some variations, but, most are 60/40 favored in the front. Still, if you examine you tube videos of vehicles going uphill, you'll find that many cars like the Honda, don't engage all four wheels simultaneously, only on demand and sometimes don't make it up very steep grades, http://www.jeanknowscars.com/cool- tech/new-car-features/drive-systems-an-explainer/

14,115

Subaru has been perfecting their AWD system since 1972, that's a really long time.

14,115

See this, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fcKSbCq7lDA

100

Good video Markw1952. I do think my Subaru Tribeca does well on snow, ice... etc. but the comment in the video about "Subaru is build around engineering you can trust.." is a whooping big lie. Their engines burn excessive amount of oil, need spark plugs changed more frequently at 50k miles,... and the Tribeca is just a big expensive toad to maintain. Not an "engineering you can trust"

2,820

Mark, you're in error: Subaru didn't produce AWD until late 1989. The prior iterations used a crude 4WD on-demand system. bbbtt, you're correct in that they're built to a price point; and yes, if ou've found NGK plugs breaking off their platinum anodes afterr the 4th year of service that's unfortunately the norm. So use the new IRIDIUM plugs that seem sturdier...and have both iridium anodes and cathode tips. I retrofit ALL my clients' Subies with these. Autolite, Bosch, Denso and NGK seem to run identically.

14,115

TheSubaruGuruBoston, I see, well, maybe you are correct, I got my information from reading this article below, http://jalopnik.com/5966299/40-years-of-not-getting-stuck-a- subaru-awd-history/

14,115

bbbttt----- oh, your Subaru Tribeca with the 3.6 H6 engine is burning oil? What year is your car?

14,115

More on this, see link below http://www.awdwiki.com/en/subaru/

2,820

Mark, Read more carefully! You'll see that the AWD debuted in some late '89 Subies, but NOT the Legacy as stated, as they debuted in 1990. The AWD was tried out early in '89 Loyale automatics only.

100

My Tribeca is a 2010 Touring with newer 3.6L and only 56k miles. Takes about 1 qt every 1.5kmiles but I check and top it off every fill up as suggested in the manual.