OIL CHANGES AND SKID PLATES

19,815

Asked by Jul 31, 2015 at 02:31 AM about the 2010 Subaru Outback 2.5i Limited

How much extra does it cost you to get your oil changed when you have to have your
front skid plates removed and re-installed.   Plus, are you concerned about stripped
threads with the frequency of oil changes over the years.

15

Depends on where you're having the work done. Shouldn't cost extra if it's part of standard procedure for you're car. But, yea, I'd be worried about stripping out the skid plate screws/bolts after so many changes. These screws/bolts are typically made from cheaper metal, so they do not hold up well to corrosion and multiple changes. Perhaps consider getting some hardened screws/bolts from your local hardware store to replace the stock ones in your skid plate.

19,815

According to Primitive Racing, who makes these special after market items for extra under carriage protection, I can as an option order the plates with a 4 inch access hole to have the oil changed without removing the entire plate. The only downside is that it leaves a 4 inch hole for debris. But, it's certainly more protection than the standard plastic shroud that comes with the car. What do you think about that? Only costs a small amount extra for the access and a fumoto valve. See this link to Primitive Racing products, http://get-primitive.com/

15

I would go with the after market plate if the price is realistic. I think it would save a lot of grumbling in the future when doing oil changes, and I wouldn't worry too much about the potential for debris access unless you're planning on doing some serious off-roading. If the potential for debris is still a concern, maybe consider engineering some sort of temporary plug for the new plates (or see if they sell some sort of plastic clip-in plug) if/when you know you'll be going off-road - just brainstorming. Either way, good luck.

19,815

Thanks, so, you would get the plates with the access panel?

19,815

I really don't go "off roading" with my car or if I go down dirt or gravel roads, I take it slow. However, I went down this one road in Sequoia that was not maintained and it had some very deep depressions and holes, part of the road was washed away. Lots of up and down motion in the car, never hit bottom. I guess it would be more for the peace of mind in not having to worry about this if I decided I wanted to jump off the pavement onto a dirt road to explore.