How to fill adblue tank diesel cx7?

50

Asked by Oct 01, 2010 at 08:03 AM about the 2010 Mazda CX-7 i Sport

My new mazda diesel sports cx7 requires adblue to be topped up, how can this be done at home with out going to the dealer?

260

Same problem?

4,625

i am afraid this can be a tricky procees and u might need professional help. http://mazda-cx-7.com/

260

Turned out that it was an item on the dealer first service - spoke to the dealer afterwards and it is not a simple procedure that you could do yourself as it involves suction equipement to remove the existing adblue and then pumping in a refill.

30

what you have been told is not true - there is no need to "pump out the tank" nor is their any special equipment needed to refill!!! If you wanted to get as simple as possible, a bucket with 32% by weight prilled urea disolved in good quality drinking water, plus a funnel is all that is needed to top up the tank. Prilled urea is available from any agricultural store (it is used as a fertiliser on farms) .. good luck

260

Interesting point there ted - but, where exactly is the opening/filler cap on the CX7? I can't find it on mine and the dealer gave me the impression that it is actually somewhere (possibly around the rear of the CX7) that is quite inaccessible. Hence the need for suction tubes etc?

110

the adblue access point is in the boot remove the plastic tray and 3 bolts and remove the black metal cap

20

you can buy AD BLUE from a tractor dealer for $2.40 per litre not the $30 per litre that you wiil pay at mazda

70

I've just done it today. I found the cap as per Taxcode's answer above. The dash display showed no ad blue indicators. I got 10 ltrs fron an auto shop for $39.90 and using a funnel poured it in. After a quick drive 4 indicators showed and the warning stopped. You only have to pump it out if its been in there for 2 years or more. See the You Tube clip on changing it in a Mercedes diesel.

430

I filled up the adblue but the counter won't reset to full ; the indicator still indicates that the adblue is low. Can anyone tell me if there is a need to reset the computer ? Or have other users other experiences ?

50

I filled up the adblue (bought from truck shop $25 for 25 litres) and started the car and it reset itself after driving around the block.......

60

This can be done at home with little fuss and no assistance required! After receiving a quote from Mazda Bowen dealership of $300 to replace my AdBlue, I bought 10L for $38 from Supercheap. Took off the LHS plastic tray in the boot where the AdBlue tank is located. 30mins later and a 2min drive, my dash indicators show a full reading once more. :)

430

Today, I topped up the tank of Ad Blue completely, drove around the block, and the indicator automaticly shows a full tank now : the trick for the indicator ; top it up completely, otherwise the indicator keeps showing a lower level.

40

Thanks for all the help above guys....Im stoked..works a treat. For anyone interested in WA, I bought the stuff from Truck Centre in Kewdale. $25 for 10L. Incidentally the tank takes about 15 L, so bought 2 packs with some left over for the next time.

20

Ouvrir le coffre a gauche de la roue De secours enlevez le rangement en Plastique noir 2 visses Retirez la plaque noir en acier 3 visses et vous decouvrez le bouchon A noter la reference du liquide addblue sur la plaque en acier noir Vincent

60

A local Mazda service centre quoted $225 + Labour to replace my add blue solution. I noticed that they order their solution in bottles which proably cost around the same price as the solution to manufacture. Brought my Adblue for $ 35 for 10 Litres from the local truck centre. Considering packaging and handling I expect there is around 200% mark up to the value of the solution @ $ 35. In the end serviced my CX 7 in 10 minutes for a cost of around $ 21 for the solution and about 10minutes of my time lets say as an overpaid engineer say $ 23. The metre resets to max bars after driving around 400m. I think this is a case for consumer affairs to investigate in Australia. I will be contacting them in the coming week as us Australians need to get a grip on our cost of living and if every company was stealing lfrom the motoring community ike Mazda we would be in a much worse situation. Come on Mazda start to pull your weight, No one is disputing your right to a good profit however you need to stop treating the Australian motoring pubic for fools.

50

The thing that pusses me off aboyt adblue and Mazda is that in ALL tge promo material about the cx7 diesel it states that top up is required every 20,000 kms...ive done 40,000kms and have had 4 top ups at almost exactlybevery 10,000 km interval. Annoyed with being mislead by Mazda i raised the matter with Mazda HQ and threatened to go to Consumer Affairs...i have never paid for a top up since! Mazda Aust picks up the bill!!!

80

I had no idea how much Mazda was ripping into me until just today when I saw a 10 litre of Adblue at my local fuel station for $54!!!! Not anymore, I'm ringing my dad right now and getting him to help me fill up my Adblue from now on, Mazda can stick it up their *#%^, I'm sick of them taking advantage of women with their misleading mechanical crap! I love my CX7, but I don't like my Mazda dealership very much!!!

20

I had the warning come on to the display that adblue needed replacing, after i had previously been charged $117.25 for 1.89 litres at Brisbane Eagers plus labour i decided to do it myself. Adblue is available at shell service stations, check online for a supplier. I payed the $22 dollars for a 10 litre container, spent half an hour removing spare and plastic trim and the 3 bolts holding the metal shield off the filling point, i poured the adblue with the aid of a funnel and reversed the process. A new skill to add to the swag and a cost saving of $620 (what Eagers would charge)+ $labour? Thats if i had Eagers fill it during next service. It appears Urea is worth more than gold! I know car dealers make their profits on services, but this was just ridiculous.Meghan Shell sells 2 10L plastic drums for $54. as i believe the car needs 15L. Just say no to car dealers doing services. I want my car looked after, not pay for what seems like shares in their company. Not just women get ripped by the motor industry.

80

Thank you so much Mark_C, I have managed to find the spot to refill the Adblue and plan on purchasing it during the week. Off to Shell I go.

30

My CX7 is using an Adblue fill about every 12,000 miles (so 20,000 km) Last week it went from 2 bars left back up to 4 bars??? Any of you that have refilled yourselves, can you see the float or guage that send the signal for adblu level?

Thank you! Worked just fine! As mentioned above, the trick for the indicator ; top it up completely.

15

Hi just refilled my mazda it took me about 15 mins , no problems at all thanks for your advice

10

Got Adblue yesterday from BP Australia Cost for two 12 litre packs fifty four dollars. They also sell in 200 litres and 1000 litres drums. The tank took the all 12 litres and I am waiting on the indicator to reset.

85

Hi All, my experience with Adblue (or cat piss as I prefer to call it) is as follows: CX7 has just had its 50k service (2000km ago). At the time, the dash was showing two symbols, but last week one dropped off and an alarm sounded every time the engine was started. Below the Adblue symbols, a distance measure (2500km) was displayed and began decrementing. I bought 10l from Repco (one shop had stock) ($36) and proceeded to work out where to pour it (two phillips head screws and three 10mm nuts is all that is required). No surprisingly, the tank took the entire 10l drum. I then phoned around looking for another stockist. Found a BP (coles express) in Footscray (melb) ($27) who must have had 50*10l in stock. Here is the interesting thing - within 2km of having set off for the second drum, my gauge had reset to 100% (four symbols), but after returning home, the tank took another 5l, so it was far from full when it reset the counter. While I was at it, I used a self adhesive label to 'seal' the tank cover with a note "Do not open without owners approval"

85

As an addendum to my post above, today I stopped at the Laverton North Coles Express that is listed as having Adblue on tap. I found the bowsers immediately next to the truck diesel pumps (not surprisingly). 1st point: the nozzle "is" small enough to fit into the CX7's tank filler neck. 2nd point: the price was $1.48/litre. (15/4/2014)

10

Just bought my ad blue 18 litres for £23 off ebay took 15 mins to pour it in the tank at thr rear of the car apparently its made of dehydrated urnine a sort of urea so maybe its easy to make especially if your on a pub crawl with your mates just ask them to piss in your tank. The light went off after a run as well so all is fine again.

70

Hey all. Thanks for the replies. Another one for you. If your car starts "dieseling" when you're trying to start it especially when it's hot and it might take 3 or 4 starts before it catches I lucked upon the fix. My mechanic thought it was fuel and other folk thought it was the pump or injectors. Turns out the battery died ( after 4 years) and when I put a new battery in ( thank you RACQ ) the problem was fixed. Go figure. Still love my CX7.

70

Here's a short video that explains how to top up your Adblue on a Mazda CX7. http://youtu.be/cDw0rIdECuE

30

IT WORKS!!! I filled up my AdBlue at $1.00 per litre (as at 23/7/14) at the bowser from the Laverton North Shell/Coles Express in Melbourne. So it was a $14.00 outlay for 14 litres rather than $227.50 that the MELBOURNE CITY MAZDA DEALERSHIP charged me for 12 litres at my last service ($156.00 for 12 litres + $71.50 labour (say 1/2 hour labour at $143 per hour)). Well worth the 1/2 hour of my own time/labour to get the whole job done. And BP was selling their AdBlue at the bowser for $1.359 per litre on the same day so that goes to show how ad-hoc the pricing really is on this stuff. Thanks to all your comments and the youtube video is fantastic.

I have been refilling my own adblue for a couple of years now and wish to flush the tank next time as I've heard adblue can crystallise over time. Has anybody done this? If so some advice would be appreciated. Thanks, Dave.

430

the adblue crystallises only when it comes into contact with open air. So if you only open the tank to refill and close it soon after, there is no need to flush normally.

430

Normally the adblue will only crystallise when in contect with open air for a while. So if you only open up the tank to refill it en you drive around rergularly, it should not crystallise.

430

has anyone had to replace the distribution chain in the engine already ? I have about 105.000 miles (166.000 Km) on the counter and the garage tells me the chain has to be replaced but they already warned me that the car should stay in the garage for 3 days ! What will that cost ??!!

10

Whats a distribution chain? Do you mean timing chain?

430

that is the chain (sometimes it is a belt but in this cx 7 it is a chain) that is inside the enginebloc that drives the crankshaft and valves in the engine. In time the chain can get longer.