Gas mileage drop and slippery steering with new tires?

Asked by Mar 02, 2015 at 05:55 PM about the 2010 Honda Fit Sport

I just bought 4 new tires (Falken Pro G4 A/S 185 /55 R16 83H SL BSW) to replace my
original tires (Dunlop SP Sport 7000 185 /55 R16 83H SL BSW OE). My gas mileage
has dropped 10 mpg on highway and even more on city streets. driving on the
highway felt like i was fighting a hard wind the whole drive, even though there was
little to no wind. also, if I put just a touch more pressure to one side of the wheel, the
car would zip that direction and so I'd have to compensate, and then compensate for
that, and then compensate again. I had to fight just to stay in a straight line and in my
lane. I've replaced many sets of tires and never had this happen. After the highway
drive, I tried increasing the air pressure from 32 psi to 45 (in my original tires I kept 50
psi) to help with the gas mileage, but it didn't help

46,195

New tires can sometimes be a bit squirrely, but a 10 mpg loss is hard to believe. Give the tires a few miles to break-in and they should start to feel better.

did this problem go away? I feel like everybody is staring at me or thinks I am drunk, my car won't stay on a straight path. Before I bought tires, "they" said my alignment was fine except for the rear toe that cant be adjusted without aftermarket parts, then I tried new tires and another alignment and im still having the same problem, except it seems to be getting worse. I think its a suspention issue but everyone says "they (struts and shocks) should be fine." but like, they never look at them. Firestone put my tires on and did second alignment and both times the inspection box said customer cancelled or some bs, I never was even asked.

Nick, no one believed me, until I made them drive my car, I took it back to Disccount Tires (who also looked at me like I was crazy) and I made them replace all four tires with a Different brand. Problem fixed. For you, I'd get a second opinion on your alignment, but it sounds like they're are doing front end alignments only and if your rear toe is messed up, that means your rear end needs aligned. From what I understand, certain makes and models added rear end alignments where most only align the front. If you need after markets parts, it's probably messed up pretty bad. The only other thing I could think for you is to have your caster checked. That should have been checked durning the alignment, but... Is your steering wheel too light and loose, or hard and heavy? If it's normal, then it's probably the rear toe. Hope this helps some. Good luck.