The warranty schedule for my 2010 Subaru Forester says replace the fuel filter at 60,000 miles. Very expensive. Dealer says don't mess with it. What the Hell?

Asked by Aug 27, 2014 at 09:37 PM about the 2010 Subaru Forester 2.5 X

Fuel filter is built in with fuel pump in the gas tank, accessible through service opening
in the floor behind or under the rear seat.  (Dealer says under the seat)  Indy
mechanics not anxious to do it but will replace whole assembly for around $450.  MPG
is down 10 mpg on highway since hitting 65,000 miles and car is running smelly, so
replacement seems called for and way freaking expensive.  I ranted at the dealer and
top mechanic says it's not necessary or recommended unless the fuel pump fails.  
Says to ignore the maint schedule.  I say, "How do you not change a fuel filter for the
life of a vehicle"?  What's going on?"  I'll pay to maintain, but I don't want to take it
between the cheeks if I don't have to, and I don't want the rear covers in my car torn up
which is what I hear usually happens.  I'm not even sure my indy garage is familiar with
this issue.

88,845

I have run into this before, a lot of people I deal with don't have a lot of money and just drop X amount without saving for a few months, so I tell them to find a really steep hill and try to climb it, if it climbs right up it then there is a proper fuel supply getting to the engine or if they like I can run fuel pressure and flow tests but that costs, most opt for the hill climb. Eventually you will have to replace it. But if you are having a running problem and you are only getting 10MPG then your fuel pump is doing it's job. There could be a sensor misread that is causing the poor fuel mileage. A "live data" test should locate that problem.

Thanks. (from XR) Actually I'm averaging 21 mpg in town and maybe 25 on the highway. I'm sure ( I think) I was getting 34 on the highway last summer with AC blowing and wife riding along. Okay, she's not heavy, but still. I'll try the hill test if I can find a steep hill before I'm supposed to be at the garage at 7:00 am.

XR back again. Thought about the new tires I got last Fall and wondered if that might have lowered my mpg. Googled it and found that many others had same result. Only a couple had extreme difference like I did but some lost mpg is common, it seems. At any rate the car's computer is measuring wheel rotation without accounting for larger dimension of newer tires (I guess) and I did get some pretty grippy tires. Hankook Optimos were listed as suitable for my Forester, so I didn't screw up there. Got a tune-up about the same time so thinking they might have the fuel mix a little rich. We'll see.

88,845

The ECM is what controls A/F mixture, there are no more adjustments for it. Tire circumference can knock mileage down but to do it to the extent you have it will also cause your speedo and odo to read incorrectly and the power loss will be very noticeable. When I buy tires I always check for rolling resistance specs on that brand.

Thank you. I appreciate the input.

It seems last Fall's tune-up wasn't done right. Just got another tune-up at a different garage and mpg is much better.

10

Lost power MPG 12.7 forester 2010