2010 Ford Escape - Check Engine and Fuel Fill Indicator Problem

440

Asked by Feb 08, 2013 at 07:19 PM about the 2010 Ford Escape XLT

When I hit 28k on my 2010 Escape I noticed the Check Engine light started to come on and stay on.  Prior to getting this checked my Check Fuel Fill Door status was on my display.  When explaining the problem at the dealership they reset the light and then replaced the fuel filler intake.  I did not have this problem until around 39k and now the Check Fuel Fill Door status displays and then Check Engine light will come one.  I had Ford reset both of these lights and display on three occasions and keep wanting me to do a $100 test.  I told them no and that this problem was should have been addressed when they looked into it before my warranty expired.  Now I noticed that both the status and light come on only on certain times usualy if there is a warm up outside past 40 degrees.  Is there anything I can do to fix this problem myself because I believe that Ford is ripping you of this $100 test.  Because I was told there is no guaranty they could fix it cheaply after this test.  The codes were only one and it was for VAC LEAK SYSTEM.  But now I was told from Ford this is the fuel door again.  I checked the fuel door, cleaned it, etc. and there is nothing wrong with it to what I can see.   Any help???

665

Try a new cap. That should have been the first thing tried.

1,110

I have the same problem on my 2010 Ford Escape. .....and...there is no gas cap

Best Answer
440

I know crazy, I went to dealership two weeks ago and had them clear out the light again. It lasted a week or so and then we had a warm up around here and wola the light came back on. Sick of it.

440

And yes no gas cap its a fuel door thats it. Talk about a defective system.

1,110

Possible recall for 2010 escape for stalling too. Numerous times I was caught in the fast lane of the highway and my car completely powered off! Still got the check engine light on!

310

Yep I had the same thing. Fuel cap light went on a day after I put gas in. Dealer said to use the plastic funnel put in and out about 10 times to reset the light. It worked. This has happened 2 times after I got gas. Now engine light is on, to took my automotive place. Did test something about fuel leak. Everything checked out ok. Readjusted the flap in fuel tank. Everything ok so far.

410

That car with the gas cap icon just came on this morning on my 2010 Escape no gas cap SUV @ 47,500 miles. It's due in 500 miles for an oil change, so it seems there is no rush to take it in earlier by all of your postings (Many many thanks!). I bought the extended warranty when I bought the Escape for issues like these, simply because I've had a couple Ford Aerostar Minivans before both with Transmission problems. I will try the plastic gas funnel recommendation & post my results.... I just filled up two days ago & it's over 95 degrees here --Will post my results.

410

P.S. Ford Customer Service no. 1-800-392-3673 prompt 0; prompt 0; prompt 0; prompt 1; prompt 0. Maybe if we all call them, they may investigate

310

Well, went for gas yesterday and today gas cap light on again. Called dealer said to bring in it may be covered, even if I don't have the extended warranty. This is so frustrating. and it is about 95 degrees here too.

180

Same problem here with 2010 Escape. Every time I fill it up, check engine light comes on within a few miles. After filling up and upon starting the vehicle, car acts like it's either choking or flooded, it sputters and acts like it is going to die. Took it to dealership for this issue while it was under warranty, they did nothing to actually fix the issue, now it's out of warranty, of course. Cars in NM will NOT pass required state emissions tests if there is a check engine light on in the vehicle. Never buying a Ford vehicle again.

410

Just took mine into Ford. It was a VACLEAK... they replaced the Vac canister, valve, and sellinoid (sp.).. I bought the extended warranty when I purchased the vehicle, thank God! Just drove it on an 1100 mile trip and it sputtered a couple times (which upset me, since I just got it out of the dealership service dept.), but no warning lights on. I know about not passing inspection with the check engine light on, it is the same in Maryland. However, I am not worrying much more about this --- BECAUSE I'M GETTING RID OF IT ASAP! You couldn't give me a Ford with free gas and service the rest of my life...... NEVER AGAIN.... 3 Ford's, all three major issues .... NEVER AGAIN ! Does anyone want a 2010 Escape with 48,500 miles on it? Good price!

60

I am sitting at the dealership right now for the same exact problem, its been ongoing for over a year now on my 2009 Escape. I've involved Ford customer service hoping for some results finally. Dealership is running tests now to determine the "cause" and if any of this will be at my expense since its out of warranty. I have no intention of paying for something that is faulty on their part, will go back to Chrysler before that happens.

190

OMG...my first Ford, and I am not to thrilled with what I am reading and my recent experience. My engine light came on yesterday morning and it acted like it wanted to stall on me too, I'm scared to drive it. Upon calling them I was told I would have to pay $125.00 for them to do a diagnostic test in order to figure the problem out...go figure...Auto Zone test free!!! I took it to Auto Zone who ran an engine test and the test told them that it can be 2 things. The first is the same as Ms. kath2488 engine problem Vacleak, etc., the second a lack of Heated Oxygen Sensor etc. If these are the problems I have from a car only three years old, then I may as well go back to Mercury Tracer 1988 and Honda CRV, 2001 both vehicles lasted well over 100,000k in mileage and I had no engine problem. And this one didn't break 63k yet. As Arsenio Hall use to say, this is something that make you say hmmm, may not be the exact words, but you get my drift. Thank you all for your post, it was truly helpful. I will give an update once the problem is figured out.

60

Yankeegurl _2000 I was told the same thing by Auto Zone. I was wondering have you tried to any of the options Auto Zone suggested?

410

I appreciate all who responded. Thank God I had the extended warranty! It was the vacuum canister and some sort of valve... of course when I heard valve, that to me was a big red flag at 48 k miles. I paid my $100 copay, had it fixed, and traded it in for a toyota suv over labor day. Every ford I've had since 1988 has either had transmission or engine problems. You'd think I would have learned --but no more!

20

I bought gasoline from a guy perhaps diesel, will my ford escape start? Because when I was driving after filling it wanted to stop and afterwards, all the powers are shut down.

250

I have a 2010 mercury mariner with no cap and my engine light and check fuel intake light is on as well. Don't understand this

190

Hi Angela, yes, Autozone suggested it may be the oxygen sensor or something dealing with the Vacleak. I took it to a mechanic who told me the problem was the Oxygen Sensor and since I had a 2010 Escape I have 2 of them, so when he tested it, it came back as one needed replacing, and they wanted to charge me almost $500.00 to fix. So I took it to another person who fixed that for me $250.00 less than my 1st quote, and little do you know after that was replace, my car stalled on me again. To make a long story short I took it to where I bought it from, the problem was evap. purge valve and evac canister, which took them 2 weeks to get back to me about coverage and price. Needless to say it wasn't covered under my extended warranty and they quoted me over $600.00 to fix; which was over $200.00 cheaper at Stevens Ford. They replaced it and thank God I haven't the problem is fixed. However, I will not be buying another Ford.

290

first thing you need to do . ALL OF YOU! go to any place online you like and you TRUST , Purchase an ELM-327 tester , its what their testing your car with right now . its probably all their even going to do at all today these sensor testers are small and they'll even hook up to your phone, or tablet , or even a laptop allowing you to do what their doing all those times you say to yourselfs i bet they didn't even touch it with a single tool, reseting is now in your hands. the elm-327 used to be very expensive back before the age of laptops and tablets but now , well i got a model just the other shiped free to my door for only $11.00 had my choice of bluetooh or wifi , but i went with the usb model so if my friends wanted to borrow it it wouldn't be an issue what kind of port they had available or their laptop or tablet although most folks these days have bluetooh phones so wireless Baby Yeah.if anything else get one to test your car or truck before you take it in for its schedualed maint. so you'll know whose scammin Whom.

70

Same problem got my 2010 ford escape new and this has been a frequent problem and is getting worse with time the little test thing wouldnt read a code for a long time with light on then when it did first fuel inlet then evap n who knows ive always been a chevy girl myself but ol man sticks with ford and the headaches

70

This needs to be fixed ive read several same or similar year model with same problems

250

I actually have the 2010 mercury mariner which is the same vehicle. I just got mine fixed. It was a leak in the fuel intake line which cost me $82 for the testing and $344 for the replacement part and service. I've had the vehicle for about 2years now. This vehicle is my second Ford and my last. Prior to this I've owned Chevy. Think I am going back to Chevy.

70

Yay after posting my comment yesterday i got a letter from ford with a recall one happy chick that is untill they "fix" it n comes back with the same problem but untill then yay shouldnt have taken this long ford anyone else recieve this recall letter?

250

I received a letter for free replacement on the throttle body, but when checked out it wasn't the throttle body so I had to pay for the service and was quoted $426 for repair !! I took it elsewhere for $344. Still wasn't too much cheaper

70

Ya i think thats what mine said did it fix the problem

250

No engine light and no check fuel intake. Had it serviced a week ago

250

When you go to the Ford dealership be sure to have the recall letter just in case yours is the throttle body

60

I hope this may help some. I had a problem filling my 2005 Mazda Tribute with Gas (a rebadged Escape essentially). After no help from Mazda, Ford and NHTSB ( Yes, I could have had a Mazda dealer run the "tests" at a cost even though there was a technical bulletin on the issue). I finally found the problem myself. It was a clogged purge canister (charcoal canister), I replaced myself this which was easy and fairly inexpensive( canister retails for about $100) and it solved the problem (until it clogged again in 50K,) The fuel system is a closed loop so any component in it clogged stops flow. Some models seem more susceptible then others. If this solution does not work it could be other components in the evaporative emissions system as there is a filter and several lengths of rubber tubing included all around the fuel tank and filler tube area in my Mazda. Your warning lights sound like they are responding to a similar or the same problem, The " valve " noted in a couple of posts probably is not the problem and likely is expensive to replace as I believe it is internal in the fuel tank. I would first replace the purge canister or the filter in the evaporative emission system ( if you have one) which are as noted inexpensive and easily accessed. Also check the hoses in the system which are fairly obvious that they are not clogged. If you still have a problem then explore more expensive options,

10

My girl friend is having the same problems with her 2012 escape along with exhaust leaks and transmission problems. I told her not to trade her Honda ridgeline. I have been a Ford guy for many years but have a accord with 360,000 miles on it with no serious problems. Until the big three catch up with Honda stop buying them. I just saying;)

130

My husband and I are having the same problem with our Ford Escape 2010. It also has the capless fuel tank. We have tried the funnel thing.,,,worked for awhile. The car still runs the same but just don't feel confident to take it on long distances. Fortunately we have a Honda Civic that we can use for long trips...still don't have a lot of money to dump into the car. The suggestions on this post have been helpful.

65

The cause of my "check fuel inlet.." problem is, according to the dealer, a crack in the fuel filler neck which they are replacing. This problem began over a year ago and has had 2 previous fixes by the dealer that apparently were not the problem. I hope they got it correct this time. Oh, not covered under my extended warranty plan and there was a $135 diagnostic fee for a total of $330.... yikes

20

My vehicle is having the same problem on my 2010 escape now except my fuel neck or something seems to have somehow shifted and I'm having trouble getting the gas nozzle to fit in properly. I'm paying $100 for a diagnostic check as we speak :-(

My problem is last night the "Check Fuel Fill Inlet" warning came on in the dashboard. I followed the instructions in the manual to "reset" and didn't work. This morning when I went to go get gas...the nozzle wouldn't go in. So off to the dealer service department only to be told since I bought the truck and didn't carry over the warranty properly it isn't covered and it is going to cost me $598 to repair the "neck" of the fuel filler. Go figure, the truck is a 2010 with 60k miles. The truck was just in for the "throttle" adjustment and inspection two weeks ago today..passed inspection and now is costing me. I'm thinking of selling and going for something else!

90

Same thing is happening for me. Check fuel inlet and days after the engine light is on. Did anyone figure out the exact fix for this problem??

70

I have a 2010 escape w/76000+ miles on it. The engine light has been coming on and off for 20,000 miles. Need a sticker and now it won't go off. The check Fuel filler inlet comes on every so often. I guess this keeps the dealers w/ a steady income. I have owned a Ford since 1961, 53 mercury, had a 97 Ranger for 14 yrs. and this be my last one. Do we have a fix that I don't have to sign my life away to get? Not so far from what I read above.

130

We have the same issue with our 2010 escape. The light has come and gone all summer. It runs OK and the gas tank is OK when we get gas. Just been driving it but pretty much just back and forth to work. Fortunately we have a Honda Civic for when we go out of town. Sure don't want to spend $600 on it like some of you have. Loved the car until this issue came up.......I had trouble with a mazda (which is basically Ford also). The engine was still under warranty but they would not honor it because I could not prove oil changes every so many miles. That was a horrible ordeal and basically paid for a dead horse for 6 months until we could afford to have a different engine put in. As soon as it was running,we traded it for the escape. Now this issue!!! I swore no Ford or Mazda after the first issue but my husband got the escape in his name. My name won't be on any Ford/Mazda products ever again.

70

Same problem (fuel filler neck needs replacement) on my 2010 Ford Escape. Dealer diagnosed problem. Symptoms were Check Engine light on and error message of "check fuel filler inlet". Dealer quoted price of $360 for the new fuel filler neck. Call Ford Customer Service at 1-800-392-3673 to file a complaint/case since this is a recurring problem (DEFECT) for many Ford customers with the fuel "capless" system from about 2009 until it's redesign in 2013. My area's Regional Representative from Ford made the decision that they will not fully stand behind this OBVIOUS DEFECT and fully pay for the repair and I was told there was no way to further escalate my complaint....that there was no further recourse. Are they serious? Are they not in the business of selling a product in which future sales depend heavily on repeat business? Wow folks....Ford has changed and NOT for the better. So long Ford. I enjoyed our decades of relationship when it was mutually beneficial. I'm not into one-sided relationships as you seem to prefer these days. Good luck in the future!

10

I have 2010 Ford Escape and hit 45 thousand miles. Engine light on and ask for check fuel fill inlet. I just repaired injector coil, cost $350. Now I have to send car to dealer again for fuel fill inlet system. What a quality of Ford! I will never buy Ford any more.

30

I bought my 2010 Ford Escape Limited from Castrucci Ford in Milford, Oh. I have had an ongoing issue with this SUV. Had to have the capless gas tank issue fixed as well, and very soon after buying it. Over $500.00. Then I had to take it back in for the transmission stalling on the freeway. Went to Kerry Ford, and they found it to be three recalls that were never touched at the one I bought it from. Got it back and the light is back on in a week. This time I took it Autozone and found it to be the same 'capless' issue again. I think this should be a recall issue. How do we get one started?

We had that problem and there is a gas cap that can be purchased that will work. Hopefully information is attached.

130

Can you use this on a capless fuel tank. It does not currently have a gas cap. That would be great if we could fix the problem for $12.42! Thanks. Judy K.

20

Yankeegurl_2000, is that Stevens Ford in Long Island??? That's where I bought my 2010 Escape from. Just had my buddy at Meineke read computer code for me, P1450 was result. He said take it to Ford dealer now I'm worried about them figuring out the issue. Sounds like everyone is having issues with this vehicle! I will be calling Ford to report problem as well.

65

Similar problem. Replaced sensor and problem reoccured. Replaced fuel filler pipe and problem reoccured. Replaced purge valve and the problem went away and hasn't returned in over a year. Out of pocket cost over $300.

20

Thank you Rsimons4 I am gonna try the gas cap. I hope it works. Horrible that the Ford dealer did not suggest such a simple and inexpensive solution.

125

where do you getthe gas cap????

Same problem with my escape and it runs great except for the engine light.....very annoying!!

10

Checked the stant gas cap online amazon has it, says it will.not fit my 2010 escape

I had same problem on Explorer 2010 Yesterday filled the tank Today's morning went for a ride While driving heard something like BANG! The sound came from right side where the fuel cap is After a while the error of Check Fuel fill Inlet came abd then check engine Most likely the sound is a crack happened in the fuel filler neck

20

I have 84,000 miles on our 2010 Escape, and have had the filler inlet fix done at dealer 2 or 3 times for about $60 per time. Then bought Stant gas cap. Fixed it for a tankful, then engine light came back on again. Anyone written to their atty gen office? Pres of Ford? Someone has to get Ford to own their problems, even the "small annoying ones".

80

I fixed my fuel filter inlet problem by replacing a failed Canister Purge Valve. Its $32 for the Motorcraft part from RockAuto.com, and about an hour of work with an 8mm open end wrench, a flat head screwdriver and a magnet to catch the screws which will inevitably fall if you aren't careful. The valve gets stuck open and pressurizes everything beyond the point it can handle, breaking the seal on the fuel "cap".

30

I have a 2009 Mercury Mariner with the same problem: engine light comes and error message check fuel fill inlet. I've been having this problem off and on for about 2 yrs. I've taken it to Firestone and they clean around the fuel neck and the problem is fixed for awhile but then after time the light comes on again. I am definitely calling Ford and complaining. Will also check with my state atty gen office to see if there is anything else they can recommend. From all I've read it is definitely a defect that needs to be corrected by Ford for free. Thelma

20

I m having the same problem with my 2012 Ford Escape plus transmission problems since day 1 I bought the car. Very upset that ford has not done anything about it. I m still having the same issues after 60k miles many days at the ford dealers trying to fix it. I m a Honda guy so this is my last ford going back to Honda. Capitalism baby go with the best "Honda".

50

Is there a true fix for engine light/inlet light 2010 escape. I have read tons of remedies but nothing for sure?

10

I have a 2010 Foord Escape also but with 121,000 miles. The light and message started several months ago. I don't want to spend a lot of money to fix so I am going to try the start cap. Who knows?..

210

This video helped immensely. Valve is extremely easy to access. I popped it off & flushed with WD40. If it's sticky that should free it up. Also noticed unplugging electrical connector made the "Check Fuel Inlet" go away. www. youtube. com/watch?v=S6dsQoq73aE (Remove spaces after the periods.)

210

To confirm: Flushing the Canister Purge Valve with WD40 took care of the Check Fuel Inlet issue on my 2010 Escape XLT. I was also experiencing Check Engine/code P0455 every July\August which seems to be confirmed as resolved by flushing of the Canister Purge Valve with WD40, too. (Ran a full cycle of 20+ minutes on the interstate with no recurrence of Check Engine/P0455.) I have an Actron CP9580A Code reader my girlfriend gave me for Christmas to read & clear codes. Some of the best money ever spent. For the price of a squirt of WD40 & the Actron Code reader I saved myself about $300-$400 at the dealership. And I still own the Actron Code reader for the next time her Tribute or my Escape acts up again. I hope this post helps a lot of people avoid unnecessary expense & deprives Ford of a good part this otherwise ill-begotten revenue stream.

10

The Ford Escapes have three catalytic converters on them, if your engine light keeps coming on when you change the 02 sensor and gas cap then it will be in the catalytic converter 1 which comes off the manifold. My son just bought a 2005 Ford Escape and after they tried to figure out what was going on, the diagnostic showed the Catalytic. converter 1 is out on it.

10

Me too, 2010 ford escape engine light is on and message says check fuel fill inlet...ive paid the dealer 4x and the light comes back on. I learned how to turn it off myself but it comes back on in a few days. ....

210

UPDATE 8dec15: SOLUTION for my recurring FUEL INLET LIGHT (&/or PO455 code) is posted above. Took about 5 minutes to fix, for FREE, once I finally figured it out. Has not come back, either, in 4 months.

10

It's not always as simple as a $12 gas cap. I had the same problem -- check engine light came on and the car seemed to "sputter" a bit sometimes when starting. Turns out I had to have the purge valve replaced because of the pressure being off in the gas tank. On top of that, the pressure caused gas to seep into the charcoal filter and saturate it with fuel. To replace that, the gas tank has to be dropped. This is a $1000 fix in my case.

20

I'm having the same exact problem with my 2010 Ford Escape. Check engine light on, my car stalled out at a traffic light yesterday and we had to have it towed. I'm afraid this issue will never be fixed!

20

I just called ford and they extended the warranty for 10 years for THROTTLE BODY ISSUES. The catch is, you have to go to s dealer to pay at least $100 to diagnose this problem. If it is the problem they will fix for free. Such bs!!! I lodged a complaint and said this will be my first and last Ford!!!!!!

20

My 2010 was running great, then fuel inlet warning came on. I checked everything I could, looked okay. Then the check engine light came on. I held open the gas inlet and gave it a quick spray with gum cutter, then dumped injector cleaner in the tank. Three days later, all the warning lights cleared and I'm good to go.

Sounds like a class action lawsuit might be in Ford's future for ignoring a defect that should be a recall item.

After reading all these complaints I am not surprised. Ever see that movie about the guy who invented the intermittent windshield wiper. Movie is called "Flash of Genius". I have never purchased a Ford, I inherited this piece of junk when I married my wife. Well, I spent over $300 a year ago on the Fuel Tank tube. Light back on 13 months later. Ran smoke text for $150 and that led to replacing something with the solenoid that ran over $400. Then they put the car back on the machine, guess what - the light was still on and the Filler Neck needs to be replaced also - guess what - the part alone is $500. The mechanic I go to (who I know) said the parts they make to replace (gets them from the dealer) are junk. Expensive cheap parts to replace something that was a HORRIBLE design in the first place = NEEDS TO BE A RECALL ITEM. Anyone contact an attorney to discuss a class action lawsuit since Ford is dodging the cost?

10

Most people like a lot of teck ,it's nice but if you don't know a thing about it .stay away (from all of it,) cause it will make you mad and broke. when companies make products there thinking about you're wallet and not you

This Definitely sounds like it needs to be a re-call from Ford. I have my check engine that came on then off then on again and now it stays on. Then the Check fuel fill inlet light pretty much stays on all the time until I hit the reset button but only for a short time then the it comes back on again. Ford what are you going to do about everybody having the exact same issue? This isn't a coincidence that all these posts have the same issue. Sounds like a factory defect to me.