2010 Mercedes E550 wont start

90

Asked by Apr 27, 2016 at 11:16 PM about the 2010 Mercedes-Benz E-Class E550 Luxury 4MATIC

replaced with new starter, a month later same issues. Now they say I need a new control wire harness?? Anyone know anything about this? Goolgle turned up nothing

4,575

well, look at the date on the top of the battery...in 10 years stops accepting a charge...and withers performance causing all kinds of undervoltage conditions to delicate electronics...be sure the Battery is NEW...and the cables are free of corrosion~ the harness, unless they split or tore the delicate cables should be okay~ perhaps a new battery will brighten it up~ we could start testing connections to make sure the harness is messed up...but these things need help to fail...a rodent gnawing at the wires (seen this personally)~ may have caused that...please carefully diagnose the assessment~

Best Answer
90

thanks for your response. When they replaced the starter they also replaced with anew battery and 2 electrical wiring harnesses. I have a feeling the dealer is trying to charge me for unnecessary work. I can not find anything about a "control wire harness" replacement. they are trying to charge me $2500 to fix after I just paid $2800 last month

4,575

as a Mechanic, would see first hand fellow Mechanics charging for un-necessary work...this criminal behavior is common in the auto repair world...must question every little repair and ask for the old parts after the repair...do not accept "we kept that for a core"...many times things were bad all along...and the repair is optional...a lot depends on the car and the amount of time...and the budget of the customer~ Yes, gettin' ripped off is entirely possible~

1,550

Are u sure they replaced starter? If your handy get under look at starter, does it look new or even take out starter yiurself and have it tested at auto store for free. By the way what exactly is the issue? What does it do or not do?

90

yes I took it to the Mercedes dealer and had it all replaced. a month later same issues, car wont start only hear a click when I turn the key. towed it back down to the dealer and now they are telling me I need a new control wire harness, all together costing $2300

1,550

Ouch! Your only going by what they are telling you correct? Clicking sound like you describe is usually starter or dead battery. Can you go there and have them show you starter area, crank it, see if sound eminates from starter area. If it does then starter probably getting jolt from battery but starter not turning over engine. Hate to say this cause I don't know ur dealer but be careful. Also why a dealer? Don't you know a trusted, good mechanic or one specializing in mercedes? Dealers are to expensive!

90

correct!! Definitely going by what "they" tell me. I know dealers are too expensive but my mechanic couldn't handle the work load. I already paid $2800 now they're asking for another $2300. I definitely feel like they are trying to get one over on me, considering its the same issues I had the first time and they told me I needed a new starter and battery. By the way if the sound eliminates from starter area what does that mean? have you ever heard of replacing a control wire harness? I see nothing that would affect the car not to start. thank you for responding

90

by the way I'm a female, using my brothers sign in. definitely feeling like they are trying to get over on me.

1,550

Usually it can mean the voltage is hitting the starter but the starter is shorting out or stuck. Are they talking bout the wiring to starter, harness? Whatever harness their talking about I've had cars 10 to 20 years old and never replaced one in 50 years much less a 6 year old Mercedes. I mean could happen but I got my doubts. Have them tell you why or show you why its bad, especially for $2000? Did they accidentally cut it, why now a month later. Sorry but I say be careful!!! Let us know what happens. Wish you da best my friend!

1,550

Also don't u know someone who knows cars to go with you!? Sorry for all us men who would not take advantage of you, a female, or even any male.

90

Thank you for the advice! I thought the same, that they intentionally damaged it, because now it's something new only a month later. They checked out the whole car but missed that. Thank you for the advice. I asked if it was the wiring to the starter harness and he says no the control wire harness. I definitely am bring cautious. I also called Mercedes corporate to complain, hopefully I get somewhere. Will keep you updated

90

It's funny that you mention that, a buddy of mine works for the dealership but different brand of car. Had him look at it before I towed it down there considering they said it was a year warranty on the work they did. He said it seems like a loose wire to the starter, especially after they just replaced it. I don't want to risk his job there tho. Lol

1,550

A friend of mine, an honest mechanic! worked for a dealership and was told to FIND things on cars, he had to quit because he would not do it. Most mechanics are honest but u gotta find them, lol. Let us know wat happens, wish you well!

4,575

a Toyota will Not break down~

1,550

Lol, yeah just like we won't die!

4,575

David H25 swore by them...he had a corolla for 10 years...exactly the same as when he bought it. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DHqL_ju6Iac

1,550

I have one 15 years old, 150,000 miles, camry, but sorry to say just like me, not the same after 15 years, lol! Nothing, including me lasts forever. Wish it did. :-(

4,575

Mikbek..I've had lots of cars...most lead to un-necessary expenses...mosty because they are antique....parts are hard to find and technologies have moved ahead...the '59 Pontiac with only 40,000 miles on the 389...was a four-door catalina...quite an American Beauty...made the mistake of actually using it...one must love it...and Never drive it, ...cause a rented Aries K car will smash it...motor was still perfect...wheel would not turn~ sadness...the problem with special cars...and why we don't see them as daily drivers~ barnfinds.com has Everything you wish that you had the time to restore~

7,985

It is sad but true - there are mechanics and/or dealerships that try to inflate repair bills. MB dealerships charge up to $150/hr rate so even something as simple as an oil change can be $200 or more. As the previous people suggested - try to find a local mechanic you trust who specializes in German cars. Besides a lower hourly rate - they probably will not gouge you on parts you do not need. I had a 2012 E-550 and loved it. MB's are very tech heavy and also very finicky if the voltages are not what the computer is looking for. bob_nueske is right - the battery or regulators are much more likely a problem than a wiring harness. The only exceptions might be if this was a 'flood' damaged car at some point.

1,550

So 'Ben' we're all wondering...wat was it!?

90

Still is under "review" with a local Mechanic. He wasn't able to fit me in until yesterday (Thursday). He's dumbfounded by what the dealer is saying is wrong as far as their diagnostics.

4,575

insist on an easy to fix model~ Toyotas are superior...take a look at their record...my Mercedes 230S would have the hood ornament stolen...whenever I'd park it~

1,550

U gotta us know wat mechanic finds, hope u found one u can trust! What did Mercedes corp say!? Glad ur on the right track

90

Well my local mechanic found out what was draining the battery. Locking the car basically. The anti theft was the problem. Now just trying to figure out how to reset it or fix it. He saved me $2300 cause now it's working fine, just as long as I do not lock the car. Can't let that go for long. Plus side, he charged me nothing to figure that out, he checked everything The dealer said I needed. Did not need, figures. Update to come when I figure out this anti theft issue, unless anyone knows about how to reset of fix it?? Lol I'll have to read the manuals that came with the car.

7,985

It might be simpler to just get an after-market anti-theft device. To fix your existing one might require MB specific parts. If so - that will really get in your pocket. Congrats to your local mechanic. Whereas maybe he could not fix the problem - he was able to identify and work around it.