Sudden acceleration from fully stopped position....

Asked by Oct 20, 2014 at 08:43 PM about the 2010 Kia Forte SX

2010 Kia Forte Koup....Just turned 30150 miles (vehicle not driven far)...Several hours
ago seconds after making  a full stop upon completion of a right turn into traffic, vehicle
begins rapid acceleration to 5000 rpm....immediately shifted into neutral at same time
realizing my brakes were unable to be depressed downward to slow down.....My brakes
seemed 2 B totally non-functional.....Pulled vehicle over 2 curb gradually (Just very lucky
no-one was In front of me.....Vehicle still revving @ little over 5000 rpm....Only way 2 stop
my vehicle was 2 turn off the key... Then eventually shifted it into park.Made several
attempts 2 get my vehicle going correctly but my brake pedal was just unmovable...I
pressed a reset button under the dash, directly behind the steering wheel for several
seconds, and released it.... (I have no IDEA why I did this, but I guess in desperation, and
the notion of having 2 hire and pay for a flatbed 2 move my car I said "What the fu*#" ! At
that point I would have done anything to get it started....Few minutes later my car started
without problem....Just wondering if the "Learning Transmission" or the fact that the car
just pushed passed 30000 miles may have had anything 2 do with this near fatal screw-
up...Just ask my wife after she peed her pants in the passenger seat......Hope we
helped......THANKS KIA.....

19,020

Take it to a KIA dealership IMMEDIATELY before you hurt yourself or somebody else! It's still under warranty.

64,395

Agree, with transam ,toyota,s have killed people doing the same thing,don,t drive it for your safety and other,s,have it towed to the dealer.

20

You were lucky that were able to control the car. Mine was completely out of control, I can only say that I am lucky I did not kill anyone, but did injure one person. Sudden Unintended Acceleration is real, it happened to me in 2005. I had purchased a brand new 2004 ES 330 Lexus while sitting at the red light my car took off like a rocket going through the red light. By the time I realized what was happening my car was going over 100 miles an hour and I realized that I did not have brake and I could hear the accelerator revving. All I was able to do hold on to the wheel trying to avoid hitting anyone. All I could think that my car was going to kill people. I was so fortunate that no one was kill and what eventually happen I end up on the other side of the street hitting a SUV head on totaling both cars. The dashboard fell on my legs and crushed both legs severely. The SUV driver had some minor damages. As the result of my Lexus suddenly accelerating, I have had 24 surgeries and more in future. My left leg will have to be amputated above the knee since surgery can not do any good anymore and my right ankle will have to be fused since I am in sever pain. I hope Toyota stops the lies and fix those cars rather than blaming the elderly drivers. Azar Hadi Brannan

20

Fill a complain with NHSTA first, not that they are any helpful, but you should do that just in case more sudden unintended acceleration happens to others. It seems to me that NHSTA places the blame on victims and protects the auto industry.