GPS Problem

40

Asked by Nov 17, 2014 at 12:34 PM about the 2010 Chevrolet Equinox LTZ AWD

I am having a problem with my GPS in my 2010 Equinox. On startup I get the warning splash screen and to listen to the radio I must press the Okay button before proceeding. When i use my GPS, it defaults to Washington D.C. and the clock sets of 4 hours behind Pacific time even though it defaults to Washington D.C..  I loose all my previous destinations and my address book.  I wasted $150 at the dealership for them to tell me they don't have the answer to the problem.  They said a new GPS unit will be 1,800 - 2,400.00 for a new one.  I could get a new computer for less than that.. What can be done to fix the problem?

18,780

First of all did you buy it new or used? If you got it used then go into the GPS menu, and erase the previous owners information. Then change the home information to the pacific time zone.

40

I am the original owner. I use to have my home address in my address book but the system does not retain any memory of previous addresses. When I do program a destination and stop my car for 15 minutes, when I get back in to start my car, my programed address has been lost.

18,780

Ok it sounds like the GPS needs to be either updated or "flashed". It has to be done at a Chevrolet dealership.

40

Thank you for your information. When I took my car in to the dealership to get serviced, I told them about the GPS issues and they charged me $150 to check it out. They didn't mention anything about "flashing" it and I didn't know to ask. Maybe they did "flash" it. I would have to call them and ask about it. What does "flash" mean? The system was updated and after the GPS was updated,that's when I started to have problems. Coincidental maybe? This problem is so frustrating. With all the computer geniuses around I would think this could be figured out. I am sure there are other car owners who have had this problem. My dealership said they have not heard of this problem. Seems strange that I am the only one with this problem. The clock doesn't keep the correct time - could this be a battery issue?

18,780

Ahhh and there we go. Did you tell them after they updated it that's when the problems started happening? Flash is like an update. Put your foot down and tell them to fix it. If they won't you can talk to GM direct and the dealership gets their ass chewed out.

110

There is a TSB on this one - the dealer should know about it... #PI0285: Inconsistent Rear Back-Up Camera Operation, Bluetooth Delay, Intermittent Audio Concerns, Blank DVD Display, Various Additional Navigation Radio/Clock Concerns - (Nov 4, 2010) Subject: Inconsistent Rear Back-Up Camera Operation, Bluetooth Delay, Intermittent Audio Concerns, Blank DVD Display and Various Additional Navigation Radio/Clock Concerns Models: 2010-2011 Buick LaCrosse 2011 Buick Regal 2010-2011 Cadillac SRX 2010-2011 Chevrolet Equinox 2011 Chevrolet Cruze 2010-2011 GMC Terrain All with Navigation Radio RPO UYS Attention: This bulletin addresses many customer concerns with one convenient software update. Additional user enhancements are part of this update and are outlined below. -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Condition/Concern Customers may comment on any of the following concerns: • Intermittent rear camera image not displayed, but the guidelines and "Check surroundings for safety" text is displayed. • Rear Camera Always ON. • Rear Camera Fuzzy Display - Wavy lines on rear camera and MAP image. Also MAP and Rear camera image together on screen HMI at same time. • Buick off-screen display does not match IPC color. • Choppy audio playback from the hard disc drive for a few seconds, one to two minutes after start up. • Previous route shown on start up, no guidance provided. • "Unknown Mode" displayed when using an iPod. • Rear park assist icons will be displayed when audible tone is heard (2010 SRX and 2010 late build LaCrosse only). • "UPA Symbols Unavailable" message displayed immediately following a reverse to drive transition. • The clock may reset to 12:00. • The clock is inaccurate. • Unable to adjust the hour and/or minutes on the clock. • Location resets to Washington DC every ignition cycle (corrected once GPS signal is received). • Last audio source is lost after ignition cycle-Defaults back to FM preset (For example-user was listening to CD. Turned off vehicle and waited 10 minutes. Turned on vehicle and now FM playing). • "I Agree" screen is displayed every ignition cycle. • Addresses that have been entered into the radio can be deleted temporarily from the list. After the vehicle sits for about 10 minutes, the addresses have reappeared in the radio. • Navigation guidance pauses during active route guidance. XM Traffic and Weather data are unavailable during this occurrence. • DC charger interference causing no audio condition on start up. • UPA symbol menu selection displayed for vehicles built without RPO UD7 (2010 LaCrosse only). • Difficultly making appropriate menu selections to return to previous screen. (A Back button is added to many screens, and the CONFIG menu selections are displayed in list form with this software update). • Blank display with DVD video as active source during start up. • Audio source reverts to USB/iPod during start up. • Address displayed on the navigation display does not match the address that was given to the OnStar advisor. • No extended XM Weather data displayed if the user selected date is advanced beyond the current date. • Radio presets are erased after programming any module on the vehicle. • XM traffic prompt may not contain the ‘s’ for miles prompting. • Different distances displayed on the IPC and navigation display when in metric mode. • Rear seat audio or rear seat entertainment system does not turn off when the radio is turned off. • Scanning XM displayed on every start up. • 1-2 second hesitation when using voice recognition for Bluetooth phone functions. • HVAC pop-up does not expire. • XM list resets to the top without user action - occurs when user turns off an XM category. • Display goes up without user action in key off and door closed. (SRX specific concern) Software interaction with other vehicle systems may intermittently cause any of the above conditions.

10

The same thing happened to my gps system a few years ago. It was under warranty so dealership completely replaced it. Now when I turn the car on it automatically defaults to navigation warning message and I have to hit #6 to bypass. But it turns the radio off and I have to push radio button three times to get to FM station. Clock goes to 12:00 and then within minutes changes time but exactly 6 hours off. I can change the time but as soon as I turn engine off it goes back to 12:00. So annoying. Any suggestions? Car is not under warranty and I don't even use the navigation system as one on iPhone is more accurate.

110

Mine had a second recall. I was out of warranty, but because it was a recall, they fixed it anyway. You might check with the dealer again.

We just installed navigation in 2013 equinox.. back up camera doesn't come on...just has the lines show up and a black screen????