Has anyone had to replace your transfer case? I have 2010 Equinox with 68,000 miles.

110

Asked by Aug 01, 2015 at 12:52 PM about the 2010 Chevrolet Equinox LT2

Motor problems.  Just had timing chain and timing chain assembly replaced.  Now
transfer case needs replaced.  $2,500 repair.  Has anyone else been experiencing these
problems?

On a 5 year old car...any car... the timing chain should not have failed. I am by NO means a GM product authority, but a timing chain can and go the life of the engine. Even a timing belt lasts longer than 5 years, and far more than 68k miles. But a timing chain? Wow, if you were not lied to and just plain ripped off by a mechanic telling you the chain failed, and it really did, neither of these things should have failed at 68k

GET ANOTHER OPINION from a dealer.

http://chevroletforum.com/forum/equinox-23/2010-chevy-equinox-raspy-rattle-engine-bay-43039/page6/

Holy Moly I found this: " Re: 2010 Chevrolet Equinox LT2: The car is brought in for service last Friday (7/27/12). That afternoon we are told the car needs a new Timing Chain and Timing Chain Tensioner. Further, we are told this has been a common defect coming from the factory for this year of vehicle. The service manager stated, after some questioning from me, his dealership has replaced at least 25 timing chains off the Equinox. He also said the problem presents itself anywhere from 5K miles to 80K miles, based on the experience from his dealership. He told us the repair was covered under the powertrain warranty and there would be no cost for the service.

60,665

The above is why I have a Ford, Lincoln and Mercury in my garage. No GM stuff for me.

110

Timing chain and chain assembly were covered under power train warranty. Now "transfer case" under extended warranty $2,500. I guess I have a real lemon and just finished paying this car off! I was curious to see if other Equinox owners were having issues. I do feel ripped off! Thanks for your responses!

60,665

Just be thankful the extended warranty covered it. You may have just been unlucky enough to get a bad one.

20

I bought my 2010 a month ago. Not even four days later my solenoid went out then next day timing chain two days later had to have motor put in it. It's still at shop it has 127,000 miles on it and I did not have warranty which sucks. I called GM and was so irritated because there r recalls out for this and mine is not one of them and apparently gm sent out a bad batch of timing chains. So now over 3000.00 later and I haven't even driven my car a week I'm so irritated. Gm needs to stand by their crap

40

My timing chain needed replaced the day I bought it "certified" from the dealer then recall one year down the road...last weekend my transfer case was burnt up due to"leaking" fluids the warranty company claimed so they don't want to cover it..car has had regular maintenance without noted "leakage" and went through the phase of eating oil too after the chain got replaced. The car has 83,000 miles on it and multiple issues. Also I was made aware of service bulletins that go out to the dealers about problems with certain vehicles and one is gaskets around the transfer case that they will repair if problems occur. Just a thought it was a bad year with the new body style and engine.

110

After replacing timing chain and transfer case, I had to have piston o- rings relplaced. A 7,000 repair which was covered under warranty. Had driven 3,008 miles and was 2 and a half quarts low in oil!! 30 days later had to have solenoid replaced and was told that there was a probability that the actuator would need replaced at about $2,200 which would not be covered. 4 times in the shop in 6 months all for major repairs. I had enough and had to trade my 2010 Eqionox with 70,885 miles! Wow! GM should concentrate on building an engine that is reliable instead of their bells and whistles!

20

Does anyone know if this problem can be fully repaired or is on going for the life of the car?

10

Ongoing for the life of the car. Going through this again on 2009 Equinox Sport. Timing chain replaced at 80k. Oil filter and transmission components replaced at 86k. These both were under warranty. Right after 100k the timing chain went again. The dealer covered roughly 50% as it was out of warranty. Engine drinks oil like water. Service light on right now at 138k and was just diagnosed again with.... you guessed it... timing chain and tensioner. In talks now with dealer but they obviously do not want to cover it. Absolutely floored by all of this. Would trade but I don't know if anyone would take it at this point. What a disappointment. Looking and state car lemon laws now....

20

I have a 2011 Equinox. I've had oil consumption issues with car, catalytic converter replaced. Both fixed under warranty. Now the transfer case went. Car is 5 years old 74k miles on it. Of course now out of warranty and will be a $2700 job to fix. Transmission shop said this should never have happened. Now cannot get repaired cause part on backorder and si many GM vehicles have same defective transfer case. When is GM going to own up to defects on transmission and engine. They need to do a recall.

10

My 2010 Chevy Equinox has had the timing chain and tensioner replaced TWICE since I got the car at the end of 2012. The first time the warranty was still good and paid for by Chevy. It went out again at about 125,000 miles in June 2016 and off course it wasn't under warranty to the tune of $2,400. I called Chevy, they gave no recourse of action. My argument is that there is no way a timing chain should not go out that frequently!!

Im going through that now. Im trying to check to see if it was part of their recalls

@guru5938X What did you find out, I am in same boat. And bought the vehicle a year ago.

20

Chevy won't own up to the Equinox having an issue and won't put out a recall. Had to shell out close to $4,000 to get this fixed. Soon after the throttle body went. This car has been a true nightmare.

I have a 2011 Equinox. GM covered the piston, rings, timing chain and fuel pump replacement at 96K. Transfer case blew up around 130K. Local dealer found a used one and fixed for $900. Now at 199K cam solenoid and another timing chain replacement. Been getting check eng light for catalytic converter efficiency below threshold for last 40K. Probably lucky it made it this long. GM's 2.4L and 3.6L are junk. New 2018 Equinox has a new 1.5L turbo and I'm already reading about issues with that motor burning up pistions. Think I'm going to buy a Nissan now. Come on GM get your shit together. Bring the 3800 back. That was an iron horse.

I am sick to my stomach reading about these problems, as I drop off my daughters car tomorrow for diagnostics at the Chevy dealership. Our tried and true mechanic who looked at the car first advised of the problems with this 2010 Equinox and the timing chain/ crankshaft code message. When I talked to the Chevy dealer repair tech, and the supervisor, they are stating have seen NO problems at all at their dealership - Modern Chevrolet, Winston-Salem NC. I call BS on that, as many people are complaining about this problem on these forums.

i leased a car from dougs auto sales in Pleasant View,TN in December 2016 and it had the service engine soon light on it and i had them checked out and it was talking about the camshaft crap and doug etc called them "dummy codes". Well a few months ago my friend who has a code reader said the same things and mentioned the timing chain needed to be fixed..he heard knocking etc... so 2 weeks ago my car started acting up and the stableark all weeks off mention and traction control and the abs light was on. took it to King automotive in Ashland City,TN and he told us this past week it was the hub bearing and the timing chain needed to be replaced. so today i went into town car acted fine,but after a few stops and heading home,the car wouldn't "get into gear"i was going about 20-40mph and the RPM wanted to ref up to 4 or more and it just didn't want to do anything. I'm worried its my transmission but from the talks and readings its telling me timing chain/belt...i just don't know i'm freaking out. i lost fmt father in 2016 and thats why we had to get anotehr car cause the way the car is acting is the way the buick centry acted a bit but this is a kind of car we've never had so everything is all new and stuff we don't understand. we had to have the car towed home tonight...i'm freaking out here. BethTN17@gmail.com if anyone local knows how to help!

forgot to mention its a 2008 chevy equinox sport v6 all wheel drive