Has anyone had to replace your transfer case? I have 2010 Equinox with 68,000 miles.

70

Asked by Aug 01, 2015 at 12:52 PM about the 2010 Chevrolet Equinox LT2

Motor problems.  Just had timing chain and timing chain assembly replaced.  Now
transfer case needs replaced.  $2,500 repair.  Has anyone else been experiencing these
problems?

On a 5 year old car...any car... the timing chain should not have failed. I am by NO means a GM product authority, but a timing chain can and go the life of the engine. Even a timing belt lasts longer than 5 years, and far more than 68k miles. But a timing chain? Wow, if you were not lied to and just plain ripped off by a mechanic telling you the chain failed, and it really did, neither of these things should have failed at 68k

GET ANOTHER OPINION from a dealer.

http://chevroletforum.com/forum/equinox-23/2010-chevy-equinox-raspy-rattle-engine-bay-43039/page6/

Holy Moly I found this: " Re: 2010 Chevrolet Equinox LT2: The car is brought in for service last Friday (7/27/12). That afternoon we are told the car needs a new Timing Chain and Timing Chain Tensioner. Further, we are told this has been a common defect coming from the factory for this year of vehicle. The service manager stated, after some questioning from me, his dealership has replaced at least 25 timing chains off the Equinox. He also said the problem presents itself anywhere from 5K miles to 80K miles, based on the experience from his dealership. He told us the repair was covered under the powertrain warranty and there would be no cost for the service.

49,145

The above is why I have a Ford, Lincoln and Mercury in my garage. No GM stuff for me.

70

Timing chain and chain assembly were covered under power train warranty. Now "transfer case" under extended warranty $2,500. I guess I have a real lemon and just finished paying this car off! I was curious to see if other Equinox owners were having issues. I do feel ripped off! Thanks for your responses!

49,145

Just be thankful the extended warranty covered it. You may have just been unlucky enough to get a bad one.

20

I bought my 2010 a month ago. Not even four days later my solenoid went out then next day timing chain two days later had to have motor put in it. It's still at shop it has 127,000 miles on it and I did not have warranty which sucks. I called GM and was so irritated because there r recalls out for this and mine is not one of them and apparently gm sent out a bad batch of timing chains. So now over 3000.00 later and I haven't even driven my car a week I'm so irritated. Gm needs to stand by their crap

40

My timing chain needed replaced the day I bought it "certified" from the dealer then recall one year down the road...last weekend my transfer case was burnt up due to"leaking" fluids the warranty company claimed so they don't want to cover it..car has had regular maintenance without noted "leakage" and went through the phase of eating oil too after the chain got replaced. The car has 83,000 miles on it and multiple issues. Also I was made aware of service bulletins that go out to the dealers about problems with certain vehicles and one is gaskets around the transfer case that they will repair if problems occur. Just a thought it was a bad year with the new body style and engine.

70

After replacing timing chain and transfer case, I had to have piston o- rings relplaced. A 7,000 repair which was covered under warranty. Had driven 3,008 miles and was 2 and a half quarts low in oil!! 30 days later had to have solenoid replaced and was told that there was a probability that the actuator would need replaced at about $2,200 which would not be covered. 4 times in the shop in 6 months all for major repairs. I had enough and had to trade my 2010 Eqionox with 70,885 miles! Wow! GM should concentrate on building an engine that is reliable instead of their bells and whistles!

10

Does anyone know if this problem can be fully repaired or is on going for the life of the car?

10

Ongoing for the life of the car. Going through this again on 2009 Equinox Sport. Timing chain replaced at 80k. Oil filter and transmission components replaced at 86k. These both were under warranty. Right after 100k the timing chain went again. The dealer covered roughly 50% as it was out of warranty. Engine drinks oil like water. Service light on right now at 138k and was just diagnosed again with.... you guessed it... timing chain and tensioner. In talks now with dealer but they obviously do not want to cover it. Absolutely floored by all of this. Would trade but I don't know if anyone would take it at this point. What a disappointment. Looking and state car lemon laws now....

10

I have a 2011 Equinox. I've had oil consumption issues with car, catalytic converter replaced. Both fixed under warranty. Now the transfer case went. Car is 5 years old 74k miles on it. Of course now out of warranty and will be a $2700 job to fix. Transmission shop said this should never have happened. Now cannot get repaired cause part on backorder and si many GM vehicles have same defective transfer case. When is GM going to own up to defects on transmission and engine. They need to do a recall.

10

My 2010 Chevy Equinox has had the timing chain and tensioner replaced TWICE since I got the car at the end of 2012. The first time the warranty was still good and paid for by Chevy. It went out again at about 125,000 miles in June 2016 and off course it wasn't under warranty to the tune of $2,400. I called Chevy, they gave no recourse of action. My argument is that there is no way a timing chain should not go out that frequently!!