Check Engine Light on after changing oil

Asked by Nov 30, 2015 at 07:00 PM about the 2010 Pontiac G6 Base

I had to take my daughters car away from her. There was 0% oil life left and I
dont know how long she had been driving it like that. I had the oil changed
today and now the check engine light is on. Any idea why this would happen?
The car runs good. Currently has 104,000 miles on it.

Need to reset the oil light, setting, with a scanner that plugs into the cars computer.

If it is a check engine light and not a change oil change light then something else is going on. Make sure the car actually has oil in it and get the code read so you know what the issue really is.

The code shows the oil sensor. Kinda weird it comes on immediately after changing the oil. They used a synthetic blend oil. Wonder if switching the oil caused this

Yes I know of this, sensors can detect a change in the type of oil flowing threw, along with the wrong weight of oil, why to the synthetic blend anyway?

But 0% oil life according to your dash warning, that light will come on until it is reset.

I'm assuming the used it because it has over 100,000 miles. We had them change it today back to regular 5w30 and clear the code but it came right back on.

Well now you have to start tracking down the code. Are there any other codes coming up now? I would start at the oil sending unit. I am not 100% sure on this but in 2006 GM started putting a screen in the V8 engines under the oil sending unit. Not sure if they did this on other engines. I would pull the oil sending unit out and look under it for a screen. If something is there it would need to be fished out and cleaned. Next I would have the oil pressure checked with an external gauge. If all is good then put in a new oil sending unit. When the reset for the oil life, what dose it show now? Like 98% oil life?

Best Answer

The code is showing the manifold sensor. Its showing 99% oil life. The mechanic is saying he thinks the car was driven too long before the oil was changed. It makes no sense to me

Ok, you eliminated one problem, the oil light, don't think driving it to long like that has anything to do with the new code, do you know what the code is? The manifold sensor affects (along as many other things) the way the car would run.

I don't have the exact code. I will try to get it tomorrow.

The code is P0010. Going to try cleaning the screen before replacing.

Hello ben a bit, had to get caught up with like I said, I know on the Chevy's V8 engines GM put those screens under the oil pressure sending unit. I am not sure if it is on yours but worth a check. What I do know is when there is a problem with oil or timing it shows up threw the oil pressure sending unit circuit. Thats why a code is important. This is what that code is.......P0010 PONTIAC - Intake Camshaft Position Actuator Solenoid Control Circuit P0010 Pontiac Possible causes - Dirty Oil - Low engine oil level - Faulty Intake Camshaft Position Actuator Solenoid - Intake Camshaft Position Actuator Solenoid harness is open or shorted - Intake Camshaft Position Actuator Solenoid circuit poor electrical connection - Faulty Engine Control Module (ECM) When is the code detected? The ECM has detected a fault in the Camshaft Acutator Solenoid circuit Possible symptoms - Engine Light ON (or Service Engine Soon Warning Light) P0010 Pontiac Description The Camshaft Position (CMP) actuator is attached to each camshaft and is hydraulically operated in order to change the angle of the camshaft relative to Crankshaft Position (CKP). The CMP actuator solenoid is controlled by the control module. The control module sends a pulse width modulated 12-volt signal to a CMP actuator solenoid. The solenoid controls the amount of engine oil flow to a CMP actuator. The CMP actuator can change the camshaft angle a maximum of 25 degrees. The control module increases the pulse width to accomplish the desired camshaft operation. So I think there is a issue with the timing, it may be off do to worn timing chain, and guides, or it just may be in the sensors needing replaced, camshaft sensor, crankshaft sensor. So next I would have anything to do with the timing all checked out.

Hey Man, i don't know if the problem got fixed for the one guy or if he just moved on. But as of everything you have stated, this is super helpful for helping me get my 09 G6 back up and running at optimal levels. Initial problem for me was we found out that the Cata-Converter needed to be replaced, expensive fix, then we replaced both cam positioning sensors, check engine light still comes on with the same code, so we will be running through more diagnostics, using some of what you've stated as food for thought, so thank you, will report results soon.

Post a code if you need a possible cause, glad to help.