Is Ford Edge's AWD system worthless?

Verns
40

Asked by Apr 10, 2013 at 03:29 PM about the 2010 Ford Edge Limited AWD

My 2010 Edge has AWD that never transfers power to rear wheels on snow and ice. I have taken in to the
dealership and they tell me it is working normally, but I have tested it out on snow several times and it
never transfers power to the rear wheels. If that is "normal" then I consider the QWD worthless.

Isn't there a "lock-up" mode available on your control panel? In any case, sounds like you're trying to outsmart the computer which knows the conditions (apparently) somehow more so than you or I do. Trust in your robot's judgement~ These things are NOT to be toyed with but have a reason for doing whatever it's doing~

perhaps power to the rear wheels puts the thing out of control?

24,035

Torque from the engine is transferred through the transaxle to the PTU . This torque is transferred from the driveshaft to the rear axle, which drives the rear halfshafts. The AWD system, also referred to as an Active Torque Coupling (ATC) system, is always active and requires no driver input. The AWD system continuously monitors vehicle conditions and automatically adjusts the torque distribution between the front and rear wheels. During normal operation, most of the torque is delivered to the front wheels. If wheel slip between the front and rear wheels is detected, or if the vehicle is under heavy acceleration, the AWD system increases torque to the rear wheels to prevent or control wheel slip. When the AWD system is functioning properly, there should be no perceived speed difference between the front and rear axles when launching or driving the vehicle on any uniform surface. Traction should be similar to a part time Four-Wheel Drive (4WD) system in 4H (4X4 HIGH), but have no binding in turns. If I were checking this issue I would put it on the lift and put it in drive and see if all four wheels spin. Im sure the dealer you took too has done the same thing. In that case there isnt much you can do. you can get any vehicle to spin in snow except maybe a tank and this is not a tank. it has rubber street tires not tracks. it was meant for paved roads and to provide a smooth quite ride for soccer moms. its not an off road vehicle. If you want better perforamce in snow buy some snow tires and overhaul your front and rear differental's make them limited slip. right now their open meaning if one tire spins it sends all the power to that tire just making matters worse in low traction situations. Im sure the AWD isnt worthless but with anything its not meant to be taken into snow or ice and full throttle to see if the tires spin because they will.

189,835

I'm sure it's working fine, when your front tires begin to slip, and you might not even notice it because the computer is so fast, it puts power to the rear wheels for maybe only a second or 2, the back to the front wheels. The tires might not even spin out. Your Edge is a FWD vehicle only until wheel slippage is detected. I only noticed my AWD working in my Tribute when it is really slippery out and you can feel the binding of the drivetrain activating the rear just based on traction.

Verns
40

If that is the normal function of AWD, then I don't see any value for anything but soccer moms driving in "normal" conditions. It does not help when starting out from a stop to move ahead at a slippery corner. It also does nothing to negotiate a slight uphill to pull into my garage. It responds in exactly the same way that my front-wheel drive Honda Accord does. So I still feel that the Ford Edge AWD HAS NO CLEAR TRACTION ADVANTAGE over the Ford Edge without AWD. It certainly is not worth the extra money that Ford charges. Of course, this is assuming that the AWD is functioning properly on my vehicle, which I can't believe is true. At least, my analysis and testing of the system makes the AWD no better than standard two-wheel front drive.

Trust Tom, he's a righteous dude!

Kenneth Marcum
80

I know this is late, but I can say - we have an Edge AWD, and it does not do what you're talking about. We had only had it for a few months when we got about two inches of snow. We were leaving a shopping center where the intersection was snow covered and quit slick. When the light changed, we accelerated and immediately noticed the AWD system kick in and assist in getting us going on the snow/ice (and we were impressed by it)... The whole car slid sideways a couple inches as the tires from the rear engaged and got us going. - This is VERY similar to what my 4x4 GMC Yukon does in the same conditions. If your front tires are spinning and your rear tires are not engaging to assist you, then you have a problem. I don't care what anyone else says, if you KNOW your back tires are not engaging when the fronts are slipping, there is a certainly a problem. Maybe it IS engaging, but not enough. Perhaps it's slipping internally - who knows, but take it elsewhere for a second opinion, or take the tech a ride on a nice snowy day. I hope you have already found a solution, but thought I'd post my experience with the Edge's AWD system. Our DOES engage on slick inclines or taking off on slick roadways... We do not notice it when at speed - But I'm sure it's functioning normally then too.

dave83nd
70

The 2010 Ford AWD edge does not work. I have also taken it to the dealer, and they assure me that everything is in working order. My driveway has a slight incline. Now this is the 4th snow, and ever time the front wheels spin, nothing to the rear wheels. Ford AWD is a piece of junk!!! I wish there was a button on the dash. I do not need it often, but when I do, it never clicks in. Period. And don't tell me how it is suppose to work. I am well aware of how a AWD is SUPPOSE to work.

Vincent Walter
0

Sounds nutty, But make sure you have half shafts going to the rear wheels. I have encountered another person who thought they bought an AWD car and did not have an AWD car. My Ford Escape 2005 AWD almost feels rear biased, and is always ready for action. Impressed at least with the AWD system on the Escape from 2005. I am nosing around here as I am looking at a used Edge. BTW I have a 2wd 2002 Highlander and it is worthless in light rain and snow with the FWD only. I thought it would be better, but I bought it in June.... always regretted not springing for the AWD package.

mainedriver24
10

I have a 2010 also and find the same thing to happen. I have taken it in to dealer several times because it starts flashing on dry pavement in the summer and then I can barely get out of my mildly sloped driveway in winter and the indicator never comes on. If I could I would ditch this vehicle. I don't trust it at all in the snow and living in Maine you need a reliable snow goer. My Ford Freestyle was incredibly reliable, I used all-season tires on for the 9 years I owned it so I hoped the same for this one. TOTALLY disappointed in my Edge.

DakotaFord
10

We bought an '07 and experience the loss of traction on curves and corners on icy roads. Not the tires, as some Ford folks urge on forums. I am a RWD kind of guy, so I am aware of that type of slippage .... THAT IS NOT THE CASE. Going very slow is the only way to keep control of the vehicle. .... The symptom is this: The entire vehicle reaches a point in the corner or the curve where it decides to go straight instead of follow the front wheel's commands. .... I am surprised I haven't found more of these stories online.

gta_nov2005
0

I own a Subaru Impreza 2007 4 speed and although the fuel mileage is relatively poor the full time AWD is second to none and the car can be driven 20-30 mph faster than almost all other cars in rally and slippery conditions. Having also driven many part time on-demand AWD cars I find it easy to lose control in high speed snowy corners because drive does always detect differential rate front to rear. Slowly adding power to full time AWD always increases speed and safety.

Joe7734
30

The problem is too much throttle. The system will default if you apply full throttle in an extreme situation. This protects the components from expierencing extreme input forces. Push throttle in a slow deliberate manner attempting to avoid wheel slip. ALSO... A great deal of the systems operational method is based on the ABS brake system. Wheel slip is controled by the brake system applying brakes to the slipping wheel. This is seen as traction by the mechanical design of AWD . Therefore power goes to the location of LEAST resistance ,ah ha this is the idle rear wheels . As power is directed to the rear, the front brakes will begin to release bringing the four wheels to same speed. Again...full throttle will defeat the system especially if your brakes are worn. You can test by finding a road with a nice smooth dirt shoulder. Put half of car on dirt and other on pavement. ANY half of car will do. Side to side or front to rear. Apply throttle, wheels on dirt no spin. NOW.... slam throttle down like a drunken teenager, system will default and fail. Any who want to ask more feel free to ask. rhigbee38@gmail.com

4everhusker
0

i hope the awd edge gets around better than one with only fwd. i have one with fwd and it wont go anywhere with more than a inch of snow and spins like crazy in the rain. my taurus sold me on fwd my edge killed me awd or 4wd for me from now on

Rex Storey
40

That is funny. I have a 2010 Ford Edge AWD Limited edition, and live just outside of Winnipeg, MB Canada and I know for certain that my AWD system in the Edge works. I feel it each time I am at a slippery corner, and the front wheels don't catch traction. It actually will fishtail the rear a bit until traction control kicks in. If you disable TC, and perform the same thing, I can do donuts with the rear wheels spinning as long as the front isn't catching traction. I drive my vehicle on some of the slipperiest, snow packed highways every day for work, and the AWD system works without issue. You can feel the front bias for sure, but once the front slips, the rear kicks in each and every time. I'd suggest you disable TC and see if your rear wheels catch any power through the transfer case. If not, check for half- shafts. The system is mechanical to transfer power front to rear, the traction control and stability is all electronics in the throttle and brakes. If you disable it, you should get spin if you can spin the front tires on ice.

4everhusker
0

the keyword yours is awd mine fwd

skippy15
90

I have a 2010 edge awd i have had for three years. The awd does not work. I have worked with my uncle that a mechanic shop owner waiting for ford to come out with a servicd bulletin on this, but it never happened. Everything lead to the power terrain unit. So tonight we pulled the ptu tour it apart and found that the ring gear weld had broke and was slipping. Now i find out that ford has done 7 uprades to this ptu. I ordered the latest ptu which is the newest engineered ptu. photos of broken weld attached.

skippy15
90

File attached

Kristy Linn
10

it's the sludge inside the PTU causing the all the problems in the EDGE, see CX-9 link: "http://www.mazdas247.com/forum/showthread.php?123847373-Changing-CX-9-transfer-case-gear-oil-%28photos%29" ; the CX-9 uses the same exact PTU as the EDGE, since you have the PTU already pulled, take a look inside and see if you see any sludge, once the PTU breaks, the car can still be driven but only as a FWD, you won't even know it's in FWD unless you test it in snow.

Full_of_Regrets
24,255

Part time AWD is NEVER as good a full time AWD and no computer can make up for that. Subaru's are common in snow country and part time AWD cars rare. Word of mouth spreads the news as to what works and what does not.

skippy15
90

There is no sludge in my ptu as it has already been tore down. The only issue was the bad weld on the output pinion gear.

dave83nd
70

That was my ultimate issue. Bad weld on PTO that transformed my AWD to a 2WD. I can validate from first hand experience that Ford Edge 2WD is terrible. Now that my PTO is repaired, and AWD back in play, it is great. Thank God it broke while still under warranty or it would have set me back $2,000.