2010 Cadillac SRX battery drains could this be the keyless entry system?

5

Asked by Aug 15, 2016 at 03:36 PM about the 2010 Cadillac SRX Luxury

The battery shows a 4-6 amp draw. unable to find the fuse responsible for this. Have checked the fuse panel next to battery. Is there another panel? Both the starter and battery have been tested and are good.

90,655

Did you try electrically disconnecting the alternator? I have seen a few of these blow a diode and that allows voltage to feedback into the alternator.

5

I unhooked the cable going from the fuse panel on top of battery to the starter which also goes to alternator. Thanks for the response.

90,655

There are still the regulator connections on the alternator itself. So just the big main wire and the smaller regulator connectors. You must very careful disconnection the battery as you could wipe all of the BCM's programming, then none of your accessories will work and you will have to go to the dealer and have it reflashed.

5

Oh I wasn't aware of disconnecting the battery would wipe it. Thank you again for that info. I will disconnect the alternator tomorrow and check it again. Is there a certain way to disconnect the battery without wiping the BCM's so I can check the amp draw?

90,655

On your make you will have to buy the special tool that plugs into the OBD 2 port and uses an external battery or a jump box for power.

90,655

See pic.

5

What is this device called? Sorry I'm new to Cadillac.

90,655

Preset saver or code saver depending on who you talk too.

5

I unhooked wires from alternator. Still have the 4-6 amp draw. Also pulled each fuse, still had the draw. could the battery itself have a problem? Not sure of the age of battery.

90,655

Depending on you ampmeter it might show an internal battery draw, possibly as a negative number. If you uncertain of the age of the battery and it is not marked on the case anywhere then I would have it replaced, just make sure they use the tool before it is replaced.

5

Finally some progress, I think. Have found two of the j-case fuses that stop the draw when removed. It is rear electrical center 1 and 2 fuse. Each are 60 amps. Now I have to find out what they control. I'm guessing its both the rear fuse panels, just my luck.

90,655

JCASE would be rear window defogger and sun roof module and or motor or switch. Maybe that helps.

5

Defogger is in fuse panel in back hatch. Sunroof is in passenger floor. I will check, thanks again.

5

Ok after letting the SRX sit for a hour, I put all fuses back in, tested again and no amp draw! Thought I was back to square 1. I then started over, took battery to be tested at another store. Found out battery was 7 years old and tested bad. This time I watched tech test battery and saw the meter show bad. So new battery purchased and installed. Everything works fine so far. Tomorrow morning will tell. Thank You so much tennisshoes for all the info. I have learned alot about Cadilacs!

90,655

Great, I hope it hangs in there. Believe me your education about Cadillacs is just beginning.