How do I turn off flashing light on passenger air bag that looks like a red flashing lock?

Asked by Mar 26, 2013 at 02:07 PM about the 2010 Toyota Corolla S

It just started flashing 24/7, even when the car is turned off.  I tried to look in the owner's manual and the page I needed is not in the book.  2 pages were totally omitted when it was printed.

Have your VIN# ready, it's on you insurance card and registration and go to: http://www.toyota.com/owners/web/pages/login? and create an account. You can download and read your owners manual, and much much more. Now the red flashing light, the system has detected a fault in the air bags system, and and bags are nothing to ignore or mess around with. I cringe when I say this, but I suggest taking it to the dealer. post haste.

104,735

You may have turned the passenger air bag off. --- It could be part of this recall ... http://www.autoblog.com/2013/01/28/toyota-recalls-slew-of- models-for-possible-airbag-calibration-de/

Tenspeed is dead on right. Model Affected: 2010 TOYOTA COROLLA Summary: Southeast Toyota Distributors, LLC (SET) is recalling certain models interspersed through model years 2009 through 2013 as follows: model year 2009-2012 Tacoma, 4Runner, Camry, Camry Hybrid, Prius, and RAV4; model year 2009-2010 Avalon, FJ Cruiser, and Highlander Hybrid; model year 2010-2013 model year Corolla, Sienna and Tundra; model year 2009-2013 Highlander and Venza; model year 2012 Prius V; and model year 2010-2012 Sequoia. During modification by SET to include accessories such as leather seat covers, seat heaters or headrest DVD systems, these vehicles may not have had the passenger seat occupant sensing system calibration tested. Without passing the calibration test, the occupant sensing system may not operate as designed. Consequence: If the front passenger seat occupant sensing system is out of calibration, the front passenger airbags may not deploy or they may deploy inappropriately for the passenger's size and position. This could increase the risk of personal injury during the event of a vehicle crash necessitating airbag deployment. Read more: http://www.automobilemag.com/am/2010/toyota/corolla/recalls.html#ixzz2OgBTtuN7

450

This is old business, but I believe the previous answers are incorrect. Investigated this issue today in our 2010 Corolla. It was hard to find in the operating manual, but the key- and-lock icon flashes to indicate the engine disable system it's engaged. This icon flashes whenever the car it's off with no rfid-correct key in the lock (our smart key anywhere in the car). The light is therefore normal and effectively serves as an alarm indicator to potential thieves. Positioning thus indicator on the air bag indicator panel is indeed confusing. Also, there may be outstanding recall for these vehicles which should not be ignored, but according to the manual this blinking light is not a warning indicator.

20

Wow! Thank you Steven from 3 years ago. I looked up every symbol I could find. Since it's on the panel that is labelled "Passenger" and then has airbag on and airbag off indicators It's pretty much impossible to guess what it could be. Once I knew (thank you again) it was an alarm I found the symbol in my 2014 Corolla book under "alarm" in the index.

40

I am having the same problem. So its nothing to worry about?? I just bought it 2 months ago. Today the key didn't want to turn over....I had to turn steering wheel and then it went but I noticed the last little there is a red lock light flashing. My car is turned off and it still is flashing?? Help

20

No the flashing light is fine.It flashes when your car is off. I sometimes have difficulty inserting the ignition key, if that's what you mean. It has to be angled right (from below-ish?). But our car's not quite a month old and I'm still getting used to it.

30

I have read these reviews I have a 2016 Toyota corolla and for the first time today the light under the air bag off started to blink even with car off, this has not happened before, have had car over a year now, but reading the comments im confessed, is it some alarm that has just now decided to active itself and I have no worries, or is it a faulty air bag alert,,

20

It is called the engine immobilizer system. When the key is out of the ignition or when the engine button is switched off, this indicator flashes to signal this anti-theft system is on. http://www.tcorolla.net/engine_immobilizer_system-28.html

I have a 2010 Toyota corolla and this first time today after the six years of use it star to flash! What is going on? Should I worry? And by the way - the new battery soddenly start to die. May be these problems connected? Somebody knows?

20

If this is what is flashing then this is the correct answer: Steven answered 3 years ago This is old business, but I believe the previous answers are incorrect. Investigated this issue today in our 2010 Corolla. It was hard to find in the operating manual, but the key- and-lock icon flashes to indicate the engine disable system it's engaged. This icon flashes whenever the car it's off with no rfid-correct key in the lock (our smart key anywhere in the car). The light is therefore normal and effectively serves as an alarm indicator to potential thieves. Positioning thus indicator on the air bag indicator panel is indeed confusing. Also, there may be outstanding recall for these vehicles which should not be ignored, but according to the manual this blinking light is not a warning indicator. 44 of 44 people found this helpful. Mark helpful 20 GuruDBNBX answered 2 months ago Wow! Thank you Steven from 3 years ago. I looked up every symbol I could find. Since it's on the panel that is labelled "Passenger" and then has airbag on and airbag off indicators It's pretty much impossible to guess what it could be. Once I knew (thank you again) it was an alarm I found the symbol in my 2014 Corolla book under "alarm" in the index. 1 of 1 people found this helpful.

Thanks GuruDBNBX . I read it. But the question is - why it is start flushing only after six years of use? It did not happened before.