Is the mustang manual hard to drive?

70

Asked by Mar 25, 2013 at 06:12 PM about the 2010 Ford Mustang V6

I'm thinking about getting a 2010
mustang and I was looking at the
manual the 1st and only manual that
I have ever driven was a 1862
volkswagen beetle! And I have no
troubles driving it either I'm just
worried about the horsepower in the
car! Is it going to be easier to pop the
clutch? And also am I gonna have a
hard time driving it in the rain?

101,585

It's like riding a bike. You know how you use a clutch and gas pedal. You won't have any problem. --- Stay off the loud pedal until you learn what it can do. Open it up when in a straight line. Too much gas while passing can put you in the weeds.

102,415

If you could drive the VW then the mustang clutch won't be a problem. However there is a BIG difference in the horsepower so easy on the throttle until you get the feel of the car. As far as rain driving make sure it has a good set of tires with rain sipes in the tread they help with hydroplaning problems on the roadway, some tire stores can sipe the tires you have if they are good ones. Good luck.

101,585

"was a 1862 volkswagen beetle!" --- I win the "Best Answer" click. I found the errror!

70

@teenspeed woa! Lol sry about that *1968* hahahahah I hate doing things on the phone lol it's so small!!! Lol thanks for pointing that out!

70

@tennisshoes so if I had myself a good set of tires I wouldn't have to worry about slipping everywhere? And also I don't think I should have to worry about rain to much now that I live in Texas....we get no rain at all hardly lol I don't live in Cali anymore :/

102,415

There are always limits to what a tire will and won't do. The best bet is go to your tire dealer and tell them what kind of driving you do, like winding roads, city driving, highway driving. Then they can match the tire with your vehicle. You will be amazed at what a good set of rubber can do for a car.

715

With the Mustang you can almost just let out the clutch without giving it gas it has so much torque. The clutch pedal has a heavier feel to it than many other cars but I actually prefer it this way but the first couple days you drive it your left leg may notice it ;-). GET THE STICK...can't imagine my Stang with a slush box!

I have a 2013 Mustang GT manual shift. Love it! Go for it! It's very forgiving and easy. Honest!

395

Make sure its got the LSD in the rear for the most traction. As for driving it, if you've driven one standard, than you can drive all of them, just gonna take a little practice. Automatic Mustangs are weaksauce!!

715

Yes. LSD.

70

Please excuse my ignorance but what is "LSD?" Please explain

395

Limited slip differential, basically a device in the rear differential that transmits power equally to the rear wheels. An open differential will always transmit power to the wheel with the least amount of grip.

715

With an "open" differential if one wheel slips, the other wheel gets no power and you go nowhere. With a limited slip differential, the wheel which does have grip also gets power andyou are not stuck. You can also see this when someone does a burnout. If they have an open differential they leave one black stripe of rubber. With a LSD they leave two black stripes of rubber. This was also known as positraction back in the 60s on GM cars.

70

Ok, so how do I get "LSD" on the mustang? Is that a Certain kind of tires? I have no idea how I would get this "LSD" and it sounds grey for rain driving!

715

On my 2009 it was part of the GT Premium level. I do not know on the newer models.

70

This is helpful! Also what kind of tires do I need? Keep in mind in live in south Texas so I get any snow! Lol so what would be best for rain

715

The BF Goodrich KDWS that came on the car originally were excellent all-around tires. If you look on Tire Rack, they get verygood reviews for the price. They are all-season so they will be okay in cold weather...use extreme caution if you do find yourself in snow until you get used to the car. I run snow tires up here in Ohio and have found the car to be excellent in the snow with them on.

70

A mustang? In the snow?!? Wow! I'm impressed!!!! And I won't come across snow at all at my location lol when I do plan on seeing snow I will take my mothers 2013 Lincoln mks awd, also I haven't really sat in one before..... I'm 6'2 I weigh 150 lbs I'm a 32 size wast (just to get a good idea of my build) will I have any problem fitting in this car??? And also are the backseats useable/practical????

715

NO problem at that height. I am 6' and my dad is 6' 4". There is plenty of room in this car. Also the back seats are surprisingly nice though a bit of a twist to get in them. Short trips with 4 guys from work for lunch have never been a problem...now a road trip with 4 guys...NO.

70

Oh wow! And yah, I wouldn't plan on taking a road trip anymore than "2" and also what about trunk space? And would you personally take a road trip in your mustang?

715

Huge trunk. 15.5 cubic feet. That's as large as some mid sized sedans. And YES the PERFECT road trip car for me and my wife!! Seats amazingly comfy and man does it eat up the miles :-)

Best Answer Mark helpful
70

This is all great news!!! And I'm also assuming passing power is good on the freeway....it's a mustang but also in the previous reply you said you owned a "GT" I will probably be getting the "V6" so I am assuming I won't have to worry about passing power? Right now I'm driving a 2003 volkswagen beetle diesel 0-60 14.0 sec .....sadly I'm not joking! :( it takes forever to pass someone I've gotten it up to 105 mph once! But that was going down hill but most of the time I can barely get it up to 85 mph to pass someone on a open stretch it's just an aweful car and plus its costing me a lot of money in repairs at the moment so that's why I'm looking into the mustang and plus its American so I can imagine that parts and repairs are quite affordable? Both of my parents drive American cars at the moment I really just want something new! I'm actually 18 yrs old about to graduate my parents told me that insurance would most likely be quite expensive so they told me to call my insurance company and get a quote so I called and it's in my parents budget surprisingly! We also came up with a plan that I'm gonna pay 1/2 of my insurance and my car payment which will be around $230 I'm thinking cuz I'm gonna put down $8,000 and the car that I'm looking at is $18,000 for a 2010 V6 so I've calculated all of this up and it's still in my budget and yes I've already included my gas too! I did wanna know do you have to put premium gas in the tank?? My parents tons me if this is what I want then go for it my dad is gonna co-sign for me I'm aware my entire paycheck will probably go towards this car and I would be lucky to even have $100-150 after all of my expenses but back to my original problem, I still just don't know if I want to get a manual or not I just don't wanna pop the clutch at a intersection when the light turns green lol so with out firther ado lol do you think this would be a good idea?

715

While the V6 from 2010 is significantly less powerful than the 2011-2013 models it will feel like a rocket compared to your bug...figure HALF the time to 60. I do not think the V6 would require premium but you should CHECK before assuming. (The V8 does not require it but I get about 2 mpg better on premium). As for maxing out your budget foe a car...that's a decision you and your parents need to make. The car will almost certainly be reliable and yes service and parts will be cheaper than your VW.

715

And GET THE STICK.

70

I really appreciate that you made sure to answer all my question and you didn't call me spoiled, brats ect.. for getting a new car and me being so young! Lol but thank you soo much for all your help! I will be marking you as my "best answer"

715

No problem. Nothing wrong with having a nice car when you're young. Respect it take care of it and maybe even learn to work on it with your own hands...even simple stuff like changing your own oil can give you more of a sense of ownership... Enjoy and join MustangForums.com when you get the Stang :-)

715

One more nugget of advice. Look up the difference between oversteer (what a RWD car like a Mustang does when the rear end wants to come around making the car steer too far toward the inside of a turn) and undesteer (what a FWD car does when you are in a turn and the car doesn't want to turn enough and you are sliding toward the outside of the turn). Nothing wrong with oversteer...in fact almost any enthusiast prefers it! Just know there is a difference.

70

Oh yah! I was awear I just didn't know how to do it lol I've taken a corner in my neighborhood going 35mph and the back tires squill a little, sometimes not even that! Lol but yes I figured I would "Drift" if I drove it fast around the corner and slightly put on the brakes? I don't know... One day I will take it out to the country or a empty parking lot and go crazy with someone whol knows what they are doing and I can learn that way! I figured that would be safest! :) my parents have already told me if I wanna go crazy take it out to the country but.....tbn, I'm a little scared to go to crazy lolol which is good that I'm aware of the dangers it can do, I've been driving for 2yrs now and have a clean record! I wanna keep it that way! Lol

101,585

1. you don't drift by yanking a emergency brake. You drift by using power to hang the back end out. 2. Never try drifting on public roads. It gets out of hand in a second and you can total a car by wacking the suspension up against the curbs. --- If you want to drive fast, go to SCCA and sign up for autocrosses. It legal, supervised, almost safe and a lot of fun.

70

Oh yah! I would never do drifting on the streets I would take it out to the country or in a empty parking lot! :)

5

mustangs are great rides handle awsome 2010 and 2011 are their own years i would like to point this out for engine and drive train up grades as well as some body parts