My 2010 Fusion dies out when driving

Asked by Apr 29, 2012 at 01:18 PM about the 2010 Ford Fusion SEL

Driving on interstate 70 mph Fusion dies out as if it is not getting enough fuel. After getting over to side of road, turn engine off for 10 minutes and starts right up and purrs like a kitten.  Diagnostic tool shows no problem...thought it was bad gas and spent $500 to get that taken care of but 2 wks later died again.  This car is too dangerous to drive, Ford dealership mechanics cannot find problem....any ideas?  The only similarity is that both times we were going up a slight incline.

I had a similar problem on my 07 fusion. Ford replaced the coils, plugs, wires and the PCM. I paid a total of $0 because it was covered under a factory extended warranty (they had a TSB and extended the warranty to 80k miles for this problem). Ford did me right and I will be buying another one.

Mandy Skogebo

I just had the same exact problem yesterday on I10. Totally lost power as if it was just not getting gas. Stopped for 5 minutes and it started up again fine. Guess I will take it to the Ford Dealer. Do I need to take it to the same place I bought it? I have moved.

This happened to us in April 2014 driving our 2010 Fusion SEL with 60,000 miles in South Carolina late at night. Sudden loss of acceleration, like gas not working. The wrench warning light came on about 30 seconds before the car totally quit, just enough time to get to the side of the highway. No power for about 20 minutes, did restart but we weren't going to drive it away. Had tow truck take car to it to dealership, who said they've had to replace a few throttles because of a problem with them. They replaced the throttle for free, although there's apparently no official recall. Has happened to at least one other Fusion owner I know in the last month. Ford needs to recall and fix this before someone gets hurt. It makes me not want to purchase another Ford.

Just happened on a 2012 Ford Fusion SEL last night, wrench came on right as the car just totally stopped and my wife said she lost control of the car with no power brakes or steering. Car started up after about 5 minutes and she was able to drive home. Not a good thing and very doubtful if we will ever get another Ford product.

My 2010 Ford Fusion SEL had the same problem. Turned out to be a throttle body which they replaced at no charge. Here is more information -

I have a 2010 and mine is doing what Cathisender is doing mine will let me drive it about a mile and then it just stop taking the gas and when I pulls over it start acting like it not getting enough gas but when I turn it off and restart it again it drives

Just purchased this 2010 ford fusion absolutely upset have had car for 15 days.... Coming home from work stopped at light tried to go car would not accelerate.. Pulled over turned car off restarted after 5mins car drove fine. Today I tried driving to store made it coming home was a different story the wrench warning lite on and check engine lite ..don't buy this vehicle!!!! Ford should be ashamed and also the used car dealership I bought it from shamo on you JDBuyRider or should I say JDBuyWrong??? May 30,2015 I want my money back

Cheryl Lascheid

It's the THROTTLE BODY ASSEMBLY! It was recalled!

igot a 2010 Ford Fusion with the Wrench light on. Code P0455 and P1450 Already changed the Vapor Canister Soleniod and the light is still on I don't no what to do anymore... Any help.!!???

When is on the Car has no power

Have the same problem with my 2011 Ford Fusion SEL. Only 38,000 miles on it and just stalls while driving. Did it 3 times now and very dangerous when on a highway.

The dealership wants to charge $110 for a diagnostic and then of course they said the Throttle Body Assembly is not a recalled item on the Fusion. However it should be a recall and fixed for the Fusions as it is very dangerous.

Cheryl Lascheid

Oh yes, it was a recall that they called something else. I had it done for free on my 2010 Fusion and so did my son on his 2010 Fusion. Guess what, he had to have it done AGAIN within a year., Make sure they use only FORD was guaranteed for life so we did not pay again!

My 2011 SE has the same issue today.Started driving home from work.Got about a mile down the road and the wrench light came on and lost all power.Made it to the side of the road and turned it off and back on.Ran fine for the 45 minute ride home on the highway..I've had this car for two years and this is the first time its happened

Cheryl Lascheid

It was the Customer Satisfaction Program, they get around calling it a recall, 13N03. However, it ended on January 31, 2015. Perhaps see if it was extended.

is the throttle body assembly recalled still going on this years?

Cheryl Lascheid

You would have to call your local Ford dealer. My son got his replaced again but that was because the first one did not last and Ford factory parts have an excellent warranty so it was replaced again for free.

UPDATE:Took my fusion in to the local dealership.It was the ETB.I still have warranty on this car.The repair took about an hour....took the car on a 2&1/2 hr trip to Omaha and it ran perfect

Car was running fine but last week it died on me just as i slowed down for a speed bump. I'm hoping its the throttle body since I have seen in many websites that it's the most common problem, the only difference with my fusion it's that there was no "wrench light".