the cost of maintenance of a bmw and a lexus

Asked by Sep 17, 2012 at 09:52 PM about the 2009 BMW 3 Series 335i Coupe

I am a college freshman and I am planning to buy an used BMW 335i Coupe( under around 29,000
dollars). However, I have heard that maintaining a BMW is much more expensive than maintaining a
Lexus. Is it true?  I am considering getting either an used BMW 2007 to 2009 models 335i Coupe or a
new Lexus IS250. Since my dad has a Lexus GS for years along with its best reliability rating, my dad
is more willing to buy me a new Lexus IS250 than an used BMW.
I personally would like to get a BMW 335i Coupe with manual transmission, but my parents don't
want me to spend a lot of their money on repairing or the maintenance.
Budget for getting an used BMW: under 29,000
If not, a new Lexus IS250.
I am most concerned about the overall cost of owning a BMW. What will be the exact amount yearly,
and what about for a Lexus? ( I know it is hard to compare between an used bmw and a new lexus,
but it is perfectly fine to compare two cars in a new condition, just to see the differences)
Could anyone please tell me the cost of owning an used BMW (around 45K miles and 25K for used
ones) and a new Lexus IS250.
Please tell me if you need more information to determine which car will be the best.

Sincerely,
Chris

100

Hello,chris . BMW is good car , as we all know . the maintaince chagre is expensive .But you can buy the car diagnostic tool to maintain by yourself . Like BMW OPPS DIS V57 SSS V39 Work with all Computer http://www.autoobd2.co.uk/wholesale/bmw-opps-dis-v57-sss-v39-work-with-all-computer-1203.html, http://www.autoobd2.co.uk/wholesale/bmw-icom-bmw-isis-isid-a-b-c-plus-bmw-icom-software-ista-disid-230-ista-pisss-246-1480.html BMW ICOM BMW ISIS ISID A+B+C Plus BMW ICOM Software ISTA/D(ISID 2.30) ISTA/P(ISSS 2.46) and so on .

255

The other thing to keep in mind in addition to the maintenance is the cost of insurance between the two cars. While a used 335 coupe would be older, it is still a 300HP 2-door car which would typically have high insurance rates for someone your age. Good luck with the decision.

228,715

We can't give you an exact amount of what it might cost. It's variable. If your concerned over the cost, maybe try looking at another vehicle. College freshman usually don't have disposable income. But drive what you want, and if it's costing you too much you sell it.

3,175

The long and the short of is this, BMW builds a stellar vehicle that requires knowledge on the user's part that components wear out and break down. In the case of the Lexus, it IS A TOYOTA, which is afforable in parts and known for reliability. The biggest difference is that a Bimmer will reward the driver/owner with a huge degree of satisfaction in the seat of his pants due to outstanding performance, followed by safety. The Toyota is quite the opposite. Owning a Bimmer is not bad if YOU TURN YOUR OWN WRENCHES. The average hourly shop rate is $165- 180/hr, most of which goes back to the dealership. The other option is to find fellow propeller-heads and find out where they get their service performed. Buy a Bentley manual and check out other forums for input. We have all been there and are happy to help a fellow driver.

165

Chris, hope you got your car and are enjoying it. Lexus will definitely cost you less in maintenance than the BMW, any mechanic will tell you that. As far as performance, checkout Car & Driver as well as Road & Track and see what they say about the 335i vs. the IS350... well these guys are the experts. Both publications pick the Lexus over the BMW. Better performance as well as superior reliability. If you want the great car get the Lexus, if you want a status symbol go for the BMW.

40

get a Nissan 350z its the two combined kinda

10

Buy a Camry with v6 and leather cost about $30k but will last for a long time, bmw is like a toy car which will not last long

60

go for the lexus, its much more reliable but if you have some extra cash to spend on garage bills & maintnence i would totally go for the bmw

60

also dont get a camry, they're boring

10

I agree that the Lexus would be the best choice. Spending $30,000 for a college freshman car is ludicrous unless your parents are overflowing with expendable cash. The BMW is truly a toy, status symbol car and will cost you way more than the Lexus and will not be as reliable, especially if it is used. BTW, it is a used BMW, not an used Lexus. See, your first lesson at a college level, and it didn't cost a penny. Good luck with your decision and please be honest with your folks.

10

Hi Chris, I am also a freshman in college (18 years old) and just bought a 2013 328i xDrive just under $30,000 and I can afford the car just fine. Given that I also work 61 hours a week, my car is basically paid for with overtime money. There have also been times where I worked 40 hours a week and I was still able to afford the car. If you can afford insurance and the monthly payments you will most likely afford service or anything like that. Worst comes to worst, you sell the car. Good luck

10

Find something that you can pay cash for (2-6 K). Save up for the car you want in the future and pay cash for it too. Just say not to car payments. Do something today that your future self will thank you for.