Electrical Issues, Computer showing wrong vehicle

40

Asked by Dec 13, 2013 at 07:48 PM about the 2009 Dodge Ram 1500 SLT Crew Cab

I have a 2009 Dodge Ram 1500 Big Horn with the 5.7L, I have had it almost a year and a half. Two weeks ago my airbag, parking brake, ABS, traction control light came on on the dash, my windshield wipers, horn, A/C and heater, door locks wont work, back window wont roll down. I brought it to the dealership they replaced my TIPM and everything started working except all my lights on the dash is still on and my battery and oil pressure gauge wont work. The mechanic said that my computer in the truck is saying its a 2008 jeep wrangler with a 2.7L. They have no clue whats causing it and have emailed engineers at Chrysler. Have anyone else ever heard of anything like this happening?

,,,well if it's got identical characteristics...they cheaped out, but it got the job done Chrysler is famous for pushin' the same car under two different badges...the dodge aspen/volare Plymouth NEON and Dodge NEON....are they screwin' with us or what....will check the wikipedia to confirm that those instructions are in the same build group....end of arguement...chalk it up to saving a nickel....by takin' it out of YOUR pocket~

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ram_(truck)

take the 1/0 cable from the black terminal to the chassis ground....clean the lug with a wirebrush....clean the chassis with a wirebrush....your problems will vanish...if they are persistent read the codes with a cheap scanner then "CLEAR CODES" with the thing~

19,745

maybe the TPIM is jeep material

200

I own a 2009 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 and having very similar problems with my truck. Wipers and spray, door locks, 4x4, heater fan are all not working. Also having indicators on dashboard staying lite.

200

Ok so I have figured out how to solve the problem (for now). Truck has been running like a charm since. I took my truck to a friends with a heated garage and left it over night. Truck clearly was frozen. I have also replaced the battery as I left it sit for a few days in the cold because I would not use it with all its malfunctions. Also took the truck out for a good 2 hour run on the hwy. Hope this helps Tr3y14. Please let me know if you have your truck working again and how?

30

I have 2009 ram 1500 exact Same issues it has been at the dealership for the last 7 weeks the technicians have no idea how to fix it tipm unit replaced 3 x new passenger mirror new battery new angle sensor switch inside the steering colume replaced new wiper switch replaced dash has been rewired steering colume has been rewired nothing solved the problem chysler has sent an engineer to the dealership he has been there 2 days trying to fix still zero resolution completely disgusted

140

same issue as above, 09 Dodge ram, is there a fix for it yet

40

After the replaced the tipm They had to replace the computer and I haven't had any other issues

140

did your's loss 4x4 drive aswell, heater fan, abs traction light came on,

40

I didn't have 4x4 but my traction control, abs, airbag, seatbelt light was on and my fuel saver quit coming on

140

replaced tipm and computer, now the only issue is the blower motor does not work, checked fuses, and resistor, and blower motor, everything is okay, no power to the blower switch on the blue and yellow wire, any ideas.

140

10

I have a 2010 Dodge Ram big horn and it was driven in the rain and the dash lights flashed and acted crazy. The truck was parked and hasn't ran since. Been at a dealership for a month and a half now. They replaced win module, battery, and computer. The truck still isn't running. The dealership has been emailing Chrysler engineers to try and resolve the problem. Still nothing has been resolved. If we ever get it back, is rain always gonna be a issue? Really?

30

I have a 2009 Dodge ram 1500 5.7 hemi . I have had the same problem on and off for three years it's like the truck fixes itself and brakes itself when it wants , when I crank my truck and the BAS ESP light come on along with the airbag light and traction control light , I know what's happening . No wipers, no air condition ,only front windows roll down, no horn . This usually happens after it rains although sometimes it just happens! after a week sometimes it fixes its self other times it takes a month . Well the last time it fixed itself everything worked except my blower motor after scratching my head I ran a toggle switch to my blower motor . The truck ran fine for about six months one day the toggle switch burnt up so I unplugged the toggle switch and plug in the factory plug and my fan controls it started working . I was so happy that everything finally was working on my truck and immediately did away with the toggle switch . Well three weeks went by and a big rain came . Went to my truck cranked it the BAS ESP light was on of course I knew what was going to be next . As I stated above everything quit working again , I drove the truck like this for a few days and driving down the road sometimes the wipers would come on and the air would start blowing and go right back off . So I wiggled a cable under the steering column and if I held it in a certain spot everything would work fine . Went inside for a little bit came back out cranked my truck to come home from work . This time I look at my dash and had no BAS ESP light on just the seatbelt light and airbag light but now not only did everything quit working, but now the gas gauge doesn't work oil pressure doesn't work battery gauge doesn't work on top of everything else like the wipers horn blower motor windows ect. Has anyone isolated this problem yet or has anyone tried to reflash their computer which is built in the fuse box the TIPM is the fuse box and computer all in one from what I understand . I also understand the blower motor is not fused but yet fused through the ignition switch box whatever you want to call it . After a few years of dealing with this problem I'm pretty sure it's the ignition switch that is causing this but not completely sure ..... Why isn't there a recall For this or is there? Anybody out there with any answers please help

200

Hello Tinman11 We have been having similar problems the last two winters with our truck. Once the temp reaches -25/-30, the truck starts but most to all functions do not work. We have poked around under the hood, tried everything to get the functions working again. Parking the truck in a heated garage for the night got the truck functioning properly again as a temp fix. Finally found a mechanic that has been working on Dodges for almost 30 years. Once I explained the problems with the truck, instantly he knew what I was talking about. Body Control Module. He has changed many of them. Hope this helps. I have not yet had the module changed, but my mechanic said that his customers have never had a problem since.

200

I forgot to mentioned that the problem seems to happen when we have a mild sunny day and then the temp drops during the night possibly causing condensation. But never has it happened after it rains.

30

I appreciate the input I will look into that thanks

30

I have looked everywhere and can't seem to find where it is located on my truck . Is there anyway you could ask your mechanic where the body control module is located on a 2009 Dodge ram ?

200

I have to stop in to see him this morning so I will ask him. I have the same make, model and year as your truck.

30

2009 Dodge ram electrical problems ....I figured I would go ahead and post this . Magically everything on my truck started working again perfectly . Only now my instrument cluster doesn't work , no battery voltage gauge working no gas gauge working no oil pressure gauge working AC compressor not working ES P not working AC-DC converter not working power door locks not working . It says uconnect not installed on this vehicle , which it is . If I press the button nothing happens but the message . But if my phone rings it rings right to the truck and uconnect works perfect . This is so aggravating. I called the dealership for a recall on re-flashing the computer thinking this would help ..they actually told me that they already performed the recall back in 2012 before on the truck and could not do it again .... What? I'm sure there's plenty of people who I have Dodge Rams with no issues ... But this truck has been a nightmare from day one ..... I might add if anybody understands why this truck is doing this I'm open to any options or advice

30

Anything?

30

Everything started working on my truck except my gas gauge old pressure gauge AC compressor ESP tow/haul . Anybody help

It's the ignition switch my 09 did the same and it's the freaking computer in the ignition

30

I know most things are fused through the ignition box .... So you're telling me you change your ignition box and everything started working ... Or was it an ignition issue in your computer

200

So sorry I did not get back to you Tinman11. Ok so it happened again to our truck family day weekend. -29 (-44 with windchill). This time the truck would not start, would not turn over. Once we got it started, we parked it in a heated garage overnight once again and all the issues have gone away. I have done alot of research and came across some very interesting info. I am 99.999% positive it is the tipm that is causing all the fustration.

30

10-4...... answer to the question dodge had a recall on the computers instead of a reflash of the tipm they put jeep computers in and now they're all failing .... I want to give a big thumbs up to dodge .....middle ones ...of coarse ... appreciate you

200

I read that there is a lawsuit going on in the states against Chrysler. Chrysler is aware of the issue but will not admit it publicly. The recall was on the 2011 jeeps correct? My husband and I are seriously thinking of trading it in.

Might seem like a stupid question...but are mist of these trucks equipped with a sunroof?