High temp light followed by oil pressure light

10

Asked by Sep 01, 2014 at 01:02 PM about the 2009 MINI Cooper Clubman Base

I was driving down the highway and the temp light came on. Pulled right into the gas
station and allowed it to cool. Checked fluid and was low. Bought coolant and filled it
back up. Started it and light was off. Tried to get it fifteen miles home. No lights came on
on the highway. As i was getting of the highway 15 miles later. The low oil pressure light
came on and started flashing. I noticed the car felt a little slugish. Coasted ia gas station.
A quarter of a mile from where the light first flashed. Checked the oil and it seemed to be
a little low. Added some oil. Looked under the car and on the ground. No sign of a leak.
Got in the car to start it and check the light and the car just kept turning but wouldnt start.
I got out and looked and the radiator fluid was all on the ground. Looked under the car
and the bottom hose was cut in two. Had the car towed home.

10

Besides fixing the hose on the coolant system and taking care of that problem. What else could be the problem or cause of the low oil light and reason the car wont start

When you added water, you should have the engine running. And you should have been burping the coolant system (vent screw). You added water to a hot engine, creating steam. You then experienced low oil pressure after u drove off. Is your oil a white creamy froth, or any condition other than smooth and oily? 1. Adding water to a hot motor created steam. 2. Steam vented by blowing out the "freeze plug" under the valve cover. Once the plug was loose, radiator water poured into your lifter valley and ran into the oil pan. 3. As you drove, the crankshaft mixed the oil into a latte, and the oil pump could not move it, your CEL low oil light came on. 4. The engine would not fire up after that event, because the oil pressure sensor would not allow it (self preservation mode). Fix: 1. Put in a new freeze plug (remove VC and pour water into radiator, look for water flow around the valve springs). 2. Using very hot 5W30, flush and backflush the oiling system. I use a 2.5 gal pressure pot, remove oil pump and oil filter housing. 3. Reassemble all, add new hot oil, disconnect coils and spin motor. Check for oil flow movement. 4. Fill radiator with boiling water, start the car. Change oil and water, using the hottest liquids u can produce. Run and change oil and water until both are clean. 5. Drain water and refill w distilled water and antifreeze. Note: Freeze plug failure is common. Steam blows it right out of the hole. Hole looks like a bolt head pocket, so a missing aluminum plug is not noticed. $10 fix, and lots of new oil and lots of labor.