Honda Civic 09 coupe was declared total loss due to the impact bar support

Asked by Jan 27, 2017 at 07:57 AM about the 2009 Honda Civic Coupe EX

My car was just declared totaled because that bar was
bent and so was the support, they say that's what is
going to cost the more to take out and replace. This was a
slow 10 mph crash from an icy sleeting bridge but my air
bags did deploy. I posted the picture and they say that is
the part that will cause the most issues, is this true or are
they trying to keep my car because it's in a good
condition? They said it's worth around 7k and repairs are
at $7,010 I don't have money for a new car :( I don't know
what to do

From what I see from the picture, if that is all that is bent in the front of that support, and the rest of the support is not bent, then you gotta be kidding me....If nobody wants to fix that then look for a fabrication shop. A fabrication shop could fix this up.

Please post a photo of the entire front of the vehicle.

The body damage is not the reason the car was considered a total, it was the air bag deployment that totalled it, they cost about 1300 a piece and then there the air bag computer that also has to be replaced and the system rechecked for any sensor damage and from the looks of things I would say at least one sensor is junk. So it's up too you if you want too settle for what they give you and total the car so you can buy a used vehicle to get around in, or keep the car and pay them the salvage cost out of the settlement and have the car repaired yourself. Note: you will not be able to buy air bags or control systems used as they are deployed and disposed of by the wreckers according to Federal law. So you might take that into consideration before deciding.

Tennisshoes is correct, I missed the part about the air bags deploying.

Another factor to keep in mind if you try to keep the vehicle is it will have a salvage title after you get it back from the insurance company, and that will cost you more for auto insurance. It also makes the vehicle much harder to sell. You're better off taking their payout and shopping for a good used car.

Ken, in my neck of the woods a salvage title has no bearing on insurance costs. Just sayin', things may be different in other parts of the country.

No bearing in my neck of the woods either on insurance cost. Boy, not like the old days, just slap a new fender and bumper on and your good to go...

Yup, pop the airbags out on an older vehicle these days and it is totaled.

If your insurance will pay you for the loss I would not fight it but take the money and buy another car.

This is the picture of the day it happened...the initial estimate was 4K and hat was replacing four major things which was a bumper, airbags, windshield and seat belts...that part in the original post I posted is the main reason it went to 7k not the air bags...I'm just stuck thanks for letting me know about the salvage title I didn't know's just hard letting my car go I've had it since it had 1.6 miles and it's paid off so now I'm looking into a new car payment which is going to be tough at the moment

Thanks for posting the photo. Best of luck.