My 2009 Jeep Liberty's blower works but I get no heat. The heat worked last week but all of the sudden with temps in the 20s it's blowing cold air. any Ideas?

130

Asked by Nov 28, 2014 at 05:25 PM about the 2009 Jeep Liberty Limited 4WD

12,750

make sure your fluid level is full. if it is you may have a bad thermostat.

Best Answer Mark helpful
2,795

It's your temp control under the radio. Take the face plate off, and check if your plugs have vibrated loose. Is it a auto temp system, or a regular? It sounds like the temp control is not opening up your valve to let hot antifreeze into your heater core. Hope this helps

130

A bit of a curveball here. the reservoir was full but the radiator wasn't. I filled the radiator and now have heat. so... how would the reservoir be full and the radiator so low it causes issues?

12,750

You may have a leak somewhere. Check for leaks under the car especially in the water pump area. It is also possible that you have a bad head gasket. That is less likely, but possible. If it keeps leaking and you can't find the source, there is a combustion leak test kit that you can buy at an auto parts store for about 40 bucks. There are good videos on you tube on how to perform it. If you don't want to tackle it, some shops have a sniffer that they can put in your exhaust while the engine is running.

2,795

iIf your liberty does not go over half on the temp gauge, then you don't have a overheating problem, your problem lies in the temp. control nobs. it's happen to me twice, with out any warning, don't go to the shop, and pay 100reds of you hard earned money, to get played around, with these shade tree mechanics.It's simple mechanics. no heat to the heater core, no heat!!!!!!!

2,795

I'm glad you found your radiator was low, u can't get heat, if theirs none going to the heater core!, but now what?, your losing antifreeze some where, no leaks on the ground?, then check to see if you have a lot of steam, whitish smoke coming from the exhaust, it could have a bad head or intake gasket, letting coolant into your fuel mixture????. hope this helps

50

you might have an air locked water pump, try taking out the allen head plug on top of the thermostat housing and fill with antifreeze

140

I have heat on the passenger but I got know heat on the driver. Side can any one till me what it could be .....please

I have the same problem. No heat on driver side just passenger side!

blend door motor or blend door it's self if I remember right the doors are prone to break and chyrsler makes a repair kit

I am having the same issue, no heat on Drivers side however Heat full force on Passenger. I have spent over $1000 dollars and still not fix. they are telling me the heating core needs to be replaced. any thoughts?

60

having same issue, cold air blowing, no heat, thermostat replaced, fluids full , heater core hoses both hot. acuator motor rotates, correctly when temp dial change from cold to hot, direction dial works from floor to dash to defrost vents... just not heat ... cant figure it out. maybe a broken temp blend door ??? how to fix it ??? without taking to a dealer and spending $$$$$$$ big bucks ???

10

Going through the same exact issue. I have to dash apart and took a look at the heater box. All the doors are good. Asked the service guy at Jeep and he said the fix is a new box. I find this hard to believe there are no service bulletins for this.

I had this same problem with my 09 liberty. Heat in half the car only. & even then it was not hot. Full fluilds, hot hoses, replaced the thermastat, even tried a flush. I took my whole dash out & the hvac box to change the heater core. Found the original one all clogged up! It has small tubes.. coolant wasnt getting all the way through it. Had to flush it out with hot soapy water, & knock it around to losen the sludge up. You could feel the temp differences when i flushed it. Now i have great heat & saved $120. Took 3 days of work though..

I wonder if a coolant flush kit the kind you install on the heater core hoses an flush with a water hose would have blown the clog out without removing the heater core?

I have the same issue with my 08 Patriot...It blows warm on the driver side and nothing on passenger. If you turn fan above 2 it blows cold. I was told by mechanic it was a bad heater core and not worth replacing...It seems to me this should be a recall if so many people are having the same issue.