How to open gas tank

Asked by Dec 29, 2013 at 07:16 AM about the 2009 Volkswagen Passat Komfort

Open the tank itself? What are you trying to do.

If you're talking about the gas filler door there should be a lever or button, near the driver's seat, with a picture of a gas station pump on it. Maybe on the floor. Pull the lever or push the button and the little door should pop open. HTH. -Jim

Note: In some models comes with a Key jack, if is locked you need the key to unlock it and then you can pull the button to open it

Dont respond to questions you dont know the answer to. If the car is unlocked you press the fuel door and ut springs open. Wrong answers are not helpful.

Dont respond to questions you dont know the answer to. If the car is unlocked you press the fuel door and it springs open. Wrong answers are not helpful.

Don't respond to threads that are 2 years old. I'd hope that they got the door opened along time ago and moved on. Also, don't criticise others who are trying to help. Sometimes a question will go unanswered for hours. They're real people asking these questions and are waiting for an answer. An "incorrect" answer may ultimately point the person in the right direction to solve their problem. -Jim

An incorrect answer is a waste of everyone's time. If you need to push on the fuel door to open it why would you have someone looking around on the floor of the car?

Answering a question that's two years old is also a waste of time. Correct or not! -Jim

Not correct. I wasted 10 minutes looking for the device to open it inside the car and his answer saved me. Today. It was very helpful!

Jytim amen.

Maybe you should have had the presence of mind to start a new thread. -Jim

Js08016 --and then sit there in my very present mind at the gas station, in my rental car for a couple of days or weeks until somebody answered the question? I simply googled the subject and this website came up. I read through the useless posts until I came to the answer. I realize you seem to want to discover that I'm stupid but alas, I am not.

Stupid, no. Ungrateful, absolutely! If a passerby had tried to help you get the door open but couldn't would you have thrown a fit right there in the gas station? Telling them that their efforts were useless and "a waste of your time"? Probably not. You probably would have said " thanks anyway ". This may surprise you but nobody knows everything. Not even you! So if a question has been sitting for a few hours and I think I can be of help I'll take a stab at it. Maybe it'll at least point the person in the right direction. But with your mentality everyone should not try to help anyone unless they're absolutely sure they can. Maybe I should take that attitude the next time I see someone trip and fall. I'm not a doctor so I'll just keep walking. Who cares if maybe they can't get back up. I'm sure glad I don't think like you! -Jim

I rarely chime on these, and hyperbole it is. For sure. The first cpl of answers were mere guesses and I had already exhausted these options in my rental car as well. No, I wouldn't have thrown a fit. As a matter of fact - I was at a gas station with another fellow that had just purchased his VW and he couldn't find it either. It must have been a sight to behold. I did keep reading and I did find the answer. I'm grateful for the person that answered it correctly and I'm grateful that the site exists. To the person with the wrong answer, thanks for trying to help. I'm graeful to you as well. No need to be snide, no need to sound all knowing either. I'm just glad that I found the answer. I'm not a dumb guy and every car that I have had for the last two decades has always had a button or a lever. By the seat, on the dash, under the dash, in the center console, on the door, on the floor, even in the glove box. This one is different - thanks for helping out. Cheers

Thanks this saved me today. My first rental car which didn't have switch to open fuel door.

With the car unlocked, just push on the fuel door. It will pop open for you. I have a Passat and have verified that this indeed the way to get to the fuel cap.