Front brake repair costs?

735

Asked by Dec 08, 2013 at 03:28 PM about the 2009 Chevrolet Avalanche LT2 4WD

My driver's side, front brake pad is grinding into the rotor.  My mechanic didn't have
time to seriously look at it on Saturday other than to say that the rotor & pad probably
need replaced and that I should swap out both front brake systems at the same time.  
I've been trying to price out parts and thought that the CarGurus community may have
some great suggestions, too.

What I've found so far: EBX Green & Yellow Stuff pads, EBC Sport & PowerStop
rotors.  Both appear to be an upgrade kit from the factory installation.  Although I have
a towing kit, I don't have a trailer, but I do haul a full bed of mulch and lumber a few
times a year.  I haven't noticed my brakes being unable to stop the truck, even with the
grinding.  So, a PosiQuiet pad / Centric rotor repair option may be an affordable option,
too.

Depending on where the brake parts are purchased from, it looks like $110 - 350,
depending on factory replacement / upgrade parts + labor.  I don't want to go cheap
just to save some cash only to find out that I should have spent a bit more for better
quality for a family vehicle.  But, I don't want to be throwing cash out the window either,
just so I can have a name brand.  I have no problem using "store brand" products if
they're just as good and safe.

Thanks in advance for any & all advice!!

summitracing.com never lets me down~

NAPA auto parts will sell you their house brand...good as anyone elses~ Echelin?~

1,845

I second the NAPA brand any day.....plus they are around the block if you need help..

66,255

With NAPAs brake pads the TS line tends to be noisy. Go with the SS or ADO line. They're a better pad. HTH. - Jim

735

Thank you, all, very much! There's a NAPA by my mother-in-law's but not on my daily commute route, so hadn't even thought to look there. Thanks for the recommendations. Checking out Summit Racing too. - Greg

66,255

You're welcome. Glad to help. - Jim

Amen... not a religious guy....but it is Sunday~

735

I should have noted that my mechanic mentioned that it was safe to drive the truck, as is. The grinding will just sound annoying, but won't damage the truck nor impact braking. However, that being said, it's not something he recommended me driving around on for months upon months. But, not something that had to be fixed before I could leave their lot. Thanks again for the suggestions. It looks like I do have a local NAPA, a few miles to the right instead of left...who knew?! - Greg

yes...once the rotors are TOAST...what is gonna hurt them? burst into flame? they are gonna wait...'cause they will cost exactly the same now or later~

....actually Will impact braking in that will cause increased stopping distance~

735

The Thursday or Friday before Christmas, I took the truck into my mechanic. He called me, "Um...sir...I've never seen this before in a vehicle not in an accident, but, somehow the brake pad popped out of the shoe. It was sitting on the control arm. Your caliper pistons were what was stopping the truck." Now, the truck has new rotors, brake pads and calipers in the front. Rear brakes were good. This past weekend, I had the front end aligned and tires rotated, per my mechanic at NTB since his shoppe can't accommodate the 20" wheel / tire combination. So, all is good with the Avalanche, again. Many thanks for the tips and advice from the CarGurus team :)

15

Be thankful that you were not going 70 MPH on the freeway when the caliper went out and you lost all your break fluid, that means no breaks at all. crash time! Very dangerous driving with bad Breaks.no matter who told you what.