2009 Jeep G. Cherokee will not start

ktmkaboom
210

Asked by Jun 19, 2012 at 07:57 PM about the 2009 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo 4WD

Car has power all accessories functioning, but doesn't start. Turn key & nothing happens (doesn't turn
over at all). Happened several times in past few days but keep turning key & would start after several
tries. I thought it was a key problem, however it won't start with any of the key now.

200,465

It's possible the ignition cylinder or ignition switch is bad.

ktmkaboom
210

Thanks Tom. I started car today & no problem. However, in the past week, I've turned the key once or twice & get nothing. The 3rd or 4th time it works like a charm. It's hit or miss, sometimes it works perfect, sometimes after several tries, and yesterday not at all. Do you still suspect the cylinder or switch?

Anthony DeRose
1,745

Also you could clean the battery clamps and posts, if you haven't done so.

ktmkaboom
210

Thanks Tony. I did that. Car is working OK last few days, but have no faith in it.

Mike Kirk
105

when you try turning the car and it doesn't start, listen for a click and see if any electric dash lights/digital clocks or courtesy lights dim.... if you hear a click it could be the starter motor (especially if the lights dim too), if you hear no click but the lights dim its more likely to be the coil or dodgy battery connection/earthing if neither happens its more likely the ignition barrel/wiring itself this is not foolproof but may getting you looking in the right place

scooterbates4
80

Had the exact same problem. Replaced the starter and it started up right away twice on the third try nothing. So now I have no clue what the problem is!

09Cherokee
410

My 2009 Cherokee just did exactly the same today as op... wouldn't start(no crank) with key, also tried factory remote start still no crank, called tow truck and tried one last time before towing then it cranked and started... have feeling is module or relay, please post if you've solved this problem.

thejeepdoctor
6,315

wireless control module locking up...there is TSB's abt this.

pookisue
20

Ours does that too. We replaced the battery twice, starter twice and now I'm wondering if it's the transmission range sensor.

09Cherokee
410

My non crank issue was a poor connection at the starter motor on the solenoid wire. The connection used is a female spade terminal like you would find used for car speakers. Most cars use an eyelet connector and it's bolted to solenoid..... When I went under the vehicle and grabbed the wire at the solenoid you could easily wiggle it at the connection, I unplugged (practically fell off) the female spade terminal and pinched it so it would be tight fit on the male terminal. That was months ago and it's been fine.

MadMadMudder
80

2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee Not Starting. Possible solution. Yesterday, my 2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee started for 2 seconds then the engine shut off. Did this three times then nothing. Turn the key all the lights came on but turning the key produced nothing. Had power to all electronic components inside. Saw people here with same issue and tried some suggestions. After disconnecting the battery and letting it sit, nothing. Tried starting it in neutral, nothing. Rocking it to make sure it was in Park, nothing. Tow truck driver came and said he had dealt with this before. It was the key. The car was not accepting it as a proper key and had shut down as part of the alarm system. Went home and got the other key and it started right up. Turned it off later and tried the other key, nothing. 2nd key it starts fine. If you have this issue does round red alarm light on the dash lite up when you turn the key ? A test to see if it's the key (ALARM SOUNDS DURING TEST) is to push the doors lock to set the alarm, unlock the drivers door from the outside manually using the key (not the electronic button on the key) the alarm should go off. Put the key in the ignition and turn. If the alarm does not stop you probably have a malfunctioning key. Pop the hood and disconnect the battery to shut the alarm off. Hope this helps.

timothymfullerton
10

Great info,i called jeep dealer;one meechanic said ifalarm Stays on,malfunction to put charger on,with key on'forward,for halfhour,this may reset alarm

salseroso
10

Mad Mad Mudder this sounds identical to what just happened to me 2007 grand cherokee i had to leave the car parked cause didn't turn on at all thanks gonna try that.

Pistolpete426
80

I had the same issue 2005 jeep Cherokee would not start had power to everything. Cycled the key 10 times or so and it would start until today nothing. I Looked at everything, the key, the start relay, battery start motor here is what I found. There is a yellow wire that goes to the starter motor I wiggled it back and forth for a few minutes and it started right up. So the issue is the connection between the clip and the starter motor gets corrosion on. Clean that connection and you should be fine

upside2
30

There is a yellow wire going to the starter. This wire needs to be removed and cleaned really well placed back on the starter and your jeep will start.

usetolovemyjeep
180

Same thing is going on with mine. Had AAA jump in and it started in N. Took is to dealer to have them look it over and they had no idea what the problem was. They sent me on my way with no answers. Wouldn't start again after about 3 weeks of starting every time. Let is sit for the weekend and it started right up using the factory remote starter. I haven't tried the key yet. Can someone please tell me what is going on because I'm getting nothing from the dealer.

fainzsoria
20

THIS JUST HAPPENNED TO MY 2006 JEEP LAREDO. THE SOLUTION TO IT ALL WAS REPLACING THE "STARTER RELAY". ITS ABOUT 14-18$ AT FIRST I THOUGHT IT WAS MY STARTER BUT I SWITCHED THE AC CLUTCH RELAY WITH THE STARTER RELAY SINCE THEY ARE IDENTICAL AND MY JEEP STARTED RIGHT UP!! THEN I NOTICED MY AC WAS NOT AS COLD AND KNEW THAT THAT WAS THE PROBLEM THE STARTER RELAY WAS DEFECTIVE. ITS BEEN 2 WEEKS AND IT STARTS ON THE FIRST TRY.!!!

Fatkid
20

I have a 2007 Jeep Cherokee, and last night 8/15/15 after turning the jeep of and on all day, it decided that at 9 pm it wasn't going to start. I tried everything on here that everyone said to try. And nothing worked. A friend recommended me try changing out the battery on the key phob. As soon as I tried it, bam it started.. just wanted to let everyone now to try this too

Charlene Casucci
50

There Is an ignition recall on the jeeps i cannot recall what year, but I am having the same issue, it sits in the hot sun, no start after it has been running. Mechanic said might be the wires around the starter or loose, corroded, especially if you're in new England, they are exposed to the elements and this is very common. He also said he has had issues with it being the ignition, there may come a lawsuit, Chrysler is very slow to produce the parts

Dthamilton89
100

This always just happened to my 09 Laredo. Put key in turn it and get absolutely nothing. No noises or anything. All lights work just the same. Don't dim or anything but the check engine light just flashes whenever I try to start it. Please someone help me!! Don't want to leave it in a walmart parking lot any longer than I need to

Charlene Casucci
50

Mad Mad Mudder, how do you test the key? Thanks!

ItsTheJeepAgain
40

Same thing has been happening with my 4WD 08 grand cherokee off/on since i got it 2years ago. The dashlights and all power will work but the engine wont even begin to turn over. The first time it happened was while i was out of town, making everything more difficult. Dropped a friend off at work, went back to her apartment and less than an hour later it wouldnt start. Tow truck guy came and said he had seen this before, he crawled underneath smacked something with a wrench(i think the starter) and it cranked right up. He said corrosion problems with these jeeps was common but i had it towed to a shop anyways(could not afford to have this happen somewhere like a gas station off the highway). They couldnt find anything wrong. After happening again at random times over the months I initially had the starter replaced but after this most recent incident the difference was the key. I moved the jeep 7 spaces down in my apartment parking lot to the shade so i could load my bike on the rack. About 25 minutes later i was ready to go but no start, everything was standard shiesty procedure except when i would put the key into the ignition-DAMAGED KEY would very briefly pop up on the dash screen & it never came back to life later like it had previously. Its been at the dealership for 2 weeks now, waiting on a Wireless Control Module for a Chrysler recall on 2008 grand cherokee ignition switches(code P57 i think) because the part is supposedly "on back order in all of north america". Really glad someone mentioned a law suit because this has apparently been happening to those cars since their first year. How is it that there is just now a recall going through for issues that have been consistently going on for 7+ years? Especially considering(myself included) all of the instances where the car starts normally, is driven a short distance and then won't start minutes later. I have seen this multiple times on forums around the net its potentially dangerous, who knows where youre going to be when these things decide to happen?? With the WCM messing up due to electrostatic interference or whatever-DUMB stop trying to take american cars and make them hi-tech computer reliant mistakes. I got a jeep for the ease of repair, mild reliability, and less expensive parts for when things like this happen. Not only can the car companies clearly not keep up with their own manufacturing mishaps, but they are complicating their vehicles to the point where they break down from a entirely new group of issues. Mechanics have no idea what theyre doing because neither do the manufacturers. Thats why people get new starters, starter relays, retention clips, car batteries, PCM's, WCM's, key fobs and STILL have the same issues come up weeks later

ItsTheJeepAgain
40

I know this is situational but I live in memphis, TN. In the past, Memphis has been known for having some of the highest crime rates, poorest zip codes, and most densely populated unemployed areas in the US. With that being said, if you live here its kind of understood that you dont go too far north or south of the main street/highway which runs east-to- west through the city, unless you know exactly where youre going...needless to say this is not a place where im comfortable having a car that pretty much decides to work when it wants, but will basically break down when you least expect it with no warning. The worst part is that after all the money, time wasted, and the 2 weeks ive been hobbling around without a car(not helping my job) i STILL have zero idea as to what is actually wrong with my jeep. Im pretty much expecting to get it back and have this issue reoccur again a week later PS-if anyone has some kind of info about loosening the front drive shaft to gain access to the starter it would be super helpful in cleaning the solenoid wires, the corrosion and "arcing" in the retention clips/plugs around it seems to be a problem for a lot of people

Gallant555
30

Issue: 2009 Grand Cherokee Laredo 3.7 V6 won't start, everything else works including door locks. --I have researched this issue over the internet. 1.Battery (New) 2. Key Fob Batteries( new) 3. Starter tested ok 4. Starter Relay ( new) This issue occurs randomly. SOLUTION: JEEP DEARSHIP suggested Could be the Starter. It is very hard to diagnose failing starter, Got new Starter original mopar part $580 including labour. Never had issue after starter replacement. Hope this helps anyone!

Michael Barnes
60

Figured I would add my own frustration. It is 11/5/2015. My mechanic is stumped after trying to diagnose my vehicle for two and a half weeks. In the past (about six months ago), my 2010 Cherokee (v6) just wouldn't turn over. No click from the starter. All lights, radio, power windows, everything else worked. I would put the car into drive and park, drive and park then it started. It did it one other time and I figured I was in a rush and not putting it in park all the way (or something). Two and a half weeks ago I come home from work (approx 1 hour drive) and stop home. I decided to run back out to the supermarket. Hop in, no problem. Come out of the supermarket and it won't turn over. Tried 10 times at least (including gear shifting). Same thing, all power but no click from the starter. Had it towed to my mechanic and literally once off the tow truck it started right up. The mechanic tested lots of electric, tested the starter, battery and alternator are good. He had nothing to go on since my cherokee didn't have any diagnostic codes for him to even read to get and idea he could not recreate the problem (although he admits he would not take it off his lot to drive it around) so what choice do I have? It started every single day for him for over two weeks so I took it back from him the evening of 11/4/2015. I got it home, turned it off, started it up; no problem (15 minute trip from mechanic BTW). I do this a couple times and just call it a night. I hop in this a.m. and drive to work (about 45 minute drive this a.m.) and find a parking spot at 7a.m.. I turn it off, take a deep breath and try to turn it back on. No dice. All the same as before. I come out of work every couple hours and try it as mechanic was wondering if there was thermal to the problem. Nothing. Around 2PM I tried it again before trying to make plans on how I am going to get home. It starts. I turn it off and try again, it starts. I leave work at 3PM and it starts. I drove it home (about an hour) get it into the garage annnnnnnd; turn it off and try to turn it on. Same thing. It has now been about 3 hours since i arrived home and it is still not starting. I can't even begin to describe how frustrating this is. The dealership says there are no "open recalls" on my cherokee but I might need to get a software update to my WIN module but they won't know until they hook it up to their computer. So, saying that the vehicle starts so I can get to my appointment next week and I get over there I can probably plan on having to leave it there because I know at this point it will probably not start. I have read on many, many forums about others having this exact same problem with their cherokee's from varying years (usually from 07 through 12 is what I have been seeing) and that there is no rhyme or reason to it. I bought this cherokee because I heard reliable stories about them, easy to repair, etc..I had no idea this phantom cherokee flu was plaguing some many people (and now myself). I mean, who things to search "cherokee won't start!!!" I hope as I read further up this thread that there is a class action suit to come out of this because right now; and that is if the cherokee even starts back up in a few more hours, I can't even leave my home without making sure I have other people I can count on to give me a lift because I apparently have a lemon on my hands. I'll be sure to post back to this thread if I can find anything out but from the looks of it, this thread doesn't get found much until a new victim of Chrysler is scouring the Internet.

Michael Barnes
60

Just wanted to post something back per some other readings. I got underneath and checked my starter cabling. The connections look anodized so I went after the yellow wire like I have been reading about and tried to remove it, it was on there pretty good (and it is very hard to reach). I wiggled it around a bit and the car fired right up following that. NOW, the problem in paradise is I didn't try the car BEFORE I jiggled this wire. The starter was still somewhat warm (mind you this is three hours since the cherokee has been "off" but nothing that would burn me. I am going to remove the starter and have it tested this weekend and work on those connections; just not entirely sure yet how I can even get at them easily enough to do a good job. Will post back more later.

Gallant555
30

Hi Michael, Checking the starter is good idea. regarding yellow wire thing, I got the jeep dealership mechanics to check it very careful however it did not help in any way. The starter faults in jeep are really difficult to diagnose as the starter and ignition lock work hand in hand. someone had posted earlier, it get one click if it does not start, security system locks it or something like that. Before i replaced starter, I got the AGM battery from Canadian tire $240 with 5 year warranty. The combination of New starter and new battery, so far have no issues and jeep starts smoothly. The senior jeep mechanic advised that average life on the jeep starter is about 5 years,he said it's not starter motor it's solenoid that dies every time. Best thing I would recommend is to replace the starter and offcourse if you can get good batteries. Keep use posted!

JeepWoes
10

My 2009 Jeep Gr.cherokee is sitting in the walmart parking lot' Won't start. Again. I also had everything checked out and chased my tail round and round this last year. Even bought 2 keys. The new key lasted for awhile, but started acting up again these last few weeks. We are going to try cleaning off the yellow wire. Love my Jeep but this is frustrating. Reading these posts useful. At least I don't feel so alone. lol. Thanks....

Gallant555
30

Hi Jeep Woes, Do you know how old is starter on your Jeep? I would definately recommend changing the starter. 99 percent cases starter goes bad. original starter. They say it's solenoid that is the issue. However you cannot just replace solenoid. but can definately change the entire starter. I spend lot of money figuring out everything else. until i replaced the starter ( replaced with original mopar part) as well as new battery. It's been 4 months without any issue. Tks!

dclassicd
20

I'm having the same intermittent no crank problems with 2005 Jeep Loredo Grand Cherokee (170,000 miles) that everyone else has mentioned. It's been a problem for the last two years. Within the last six months, I have replaced battery, starter, electronic shift module. Dealership replaced transmission control module (twice), ignition switch and trouble shot some wiring. Have switched the starter/air conditioner relays. Each start of the jeep is still a crap shoot. I've purchased a remote starter switch (kind mechanics use to crank car over when working under the hood). I plan to have it semi permanently attached to the S terminal on the starter solenoid and easily accessible to a battery source. I'm hopeful this will allow me to turn the key on, push the remote start switch and start the car by bypassing whatever electrical glitch is causing my problem. I suspect corrosion or a loose ground may be the ultimate cause. Any thoughts on the remote switch work around? Any thoughts?

km7304
0

I am having the same issues with a 2010 , wont start , power to everything , but wont crank. Did notice by looking under the jeep and looking at the starter , the wires are severely corroded. I bought a new relay, replaced every single relay, one by one, that ruled out the starter relay, and checked every fuse. All good. Going to try my best to get to those wires on the starter tomorrow. I will repost when I get it going

km7304
0

Well, I went over every fuse and replaced the starter relay, the fuel pump relay, tried multiple other things i seen on this thread. Nothing worked until i used the smallest brush and some WD40 and cleaned the starter wires on the starter. You need a small arm or drop the front drive shaft to get more access. I have a small arm, lol, i wiggled the wires around a bit. The wires on the starter did have a lot of corrosion. The jeep finally started. I have it in my garage now, going to pull the front drive shaft and clean them properly .

Junior Puente
20

Nuetral switch or interlock cable you can tell if the interlock cable bc it gets really hot its underneath your dash and when it gets cold the car will start having the same problem took me forever to narrow it down did the samething bought starter coils ignition key nothing its one or the other

David Cooper
0

2005 JGC Laredo 3.7 4X4, same scenario. Turn key every thing electronic lights up. Tied string on key got underneath while pulling key in start position tapped on starter fired right up, so I buy new starter ( didn't have to drop drive shaft to replace) starter was $104 at auto zone with a $50 core charge replaced it, try to turn over no luck, tapped on starter while holding key over started right up, since it has been cold out I figured maybe the battery wasn't cranking enough amps bought new battery $208 still same thing, tap on starter and it turns right over . received a letter from Dodge about shotty ignition recall, the recall states ( ignition turns off while car is running And can be dangerous while driving) but I really don't think it's the switch I think it's shotty ground wire from the battery to the bell housing on transmission right where starter bolts to, I'm going to try taking a pair of Jumper cables attaching it to the negative post of the battery and then connecting it to a clean part of the motor to see if this might resolve it. Post more when I'm done

Dannyboy787
20

Hey guys, I've just bought a jeep GC 2007 3.0 crd. Upon turning key, all lights come on the dash but it won't crank. Also, can't hear the motor disengaging the steering lock. Would love to know if anyone else had noticed this? Cheers.

rich5328
20

My son had the same problem. It's the yellow wire that connects to the starter solenoid. The connection is corroded. Jack up left side, install stand jack, locate starter and remove the black slide clip that attaches to the starter solenoid. Clean the connection with sandpaper, spray clip with "Deoxit" to remove some corrosion inside clip, then reattach.

Diana Casey
20

My 2005 JGC does all of that get in to start it cuts on for about 2 secs and shuts of does that about 3 times then on the 4th try nothing tried. I tried locking doors manually to set alarm so that I could unplug the battery and reset it but now alarm will not go off and still will not start it's been that way for about a week can someone help or have any ideal what it could

dclassicd
20

As rich5328 said, check the yellow wire and clip going to the starter solenoid. Also, inspect to see if the wire has corroded up inside the insulation. My wire was green and corroded inside the insulation. The wire would pass a simple continuity check but intermittently (cold/wet conditions were worse) couldn't carry the voltage required to engage the solenoid. Had to cut off the bad part of the wire and splice in a new wire and terminal clip.

Gallant555
30

2009 Grand Cherokee Laredo 3.7 V6 won't start I have new starter put in several months ago. No issue at all ever after. original mopar part and labor at dealership was $580 in total but is so worth it and saved from frustration i had when jeep won't start.randomly.

Michael Barnes
60

I wanted to re-post to this thread as a few others have apparently encountered this mystery problem. I pulled the lead wire to the solenoid of the starter and cleaned it a bit. I have not had a problem since. I heard from others that there could also be problems with the wiring harness to the starter; but it seems many found resolution through that lead wire and corrosion at the starter (it is pretty well exposed underneath the vehicle; difficult for humans to get at, not for mother nature!). I hope for the ones that posted recently this helps out. I know "that feeling" of not having reliability with your vehicle and if your night is going to go as planned, or you waste a chunk of change getting towed (and the time and stress that goes with it). Best of luck!!! (BTW, I'm pretty thankful for finding these postings all those months ago, helped me out a LOT - thanks to all of you).

malice333
10

There are two things that happen the majority of the time for Jeep WKs... One is the yellow solenoid wire that is basically a speaker wire spade connector that is left exposed to the elements. Pull this, clean it and pinch it tight before reconnecting it. The other is a faulty WIN module that fails to recognize your FOBIK keys. When this goes bad, the security system prevents the car from starting. "Damaged Key" will briefly and quickly flash on the EVIC before the red dot comes on. Nothing can be done at this point until the WIN module is replaced and programmed by an authorized dealer. From my experience, Chrysler Dealer does NOT have these parts readily available. I had to call around- Nation-wide, there were FOUR dealers that had a couple of these WIN modules. There needs to be a lawsuit against Chrysler for this. My vehicle sat like a 6k lb paper weight in a parking garage for over a week before I could get this towed and fixed!!

FgmrollbowtiesandROCKFORDS
0

09 J.G.C rocky mountain edition with roughly 130,000 miles on it wont start. has done this two days in a row. just bought from dealer 3 months ago and no problems till now. theft mode or known to others to do with the WIN module must have started to go bad. override access as most should be aware of is lock, unlock, lock, unlock, with remote then same thing again with the key out of the remote to your door. this has worked thanks to a friend at one of the dealerships, but now the car wont start at all. and i have checked all the connections ect. and they are all clean. so i only assume that it can be the WIN module.