Tires wearing off too frequently.

200

Asked by May 29, 2013 at 11:53 AM about the 2009 Toyota Sienna LE 8 Passenger

I have a certified Toyota Sienna and the tires seem to start showing sign of wearing off in 6 months, as if it has allignment issues or something.  The car does not pull to one side or anything.  The dealership told me that it could be the tire pressure that needs to be kept up and they said that the tire pressure indicator is not good enough to make sure if the pressure is good?  Also they told me that the tires these days are softer so they don't last as long?  This all seems a little hard for me to believe. Can anyone shed some light on this?

200

One more thing... I seem to replace tires every year or less and I have had this for 3 years now???

209,815

Tires are not softer than usually, maybe bettween brands. Your alignment is definitely off. Have a 4 wheel alignment done next time you replace your tires. Also have someone inspect your suspension components for wear as well. Oh, and don't take it to the delaership, find an independent garage or tire installer. It still might track straight but the toe might be way off.

200

Thanks Tom,... Yes! the tires gets alligned every time the tires get changed. I think you are right about the suspension components. Do you think pressure of the tire needs to be monitored separately other than what the van indicates through its indicator light? I have a hard time believing it is the tires.

209,815

I would check your tire pressure independently of the monitoring system. Purchase a decent tire pressure gauge. The proper pressures for front and rear tires will be in the owners manual or a sticker on the door frame or glovebox. How many miles do you get on the tires before replacing and what kind/brand?

200

I have to replace the tires every 20-25K. I don't have the van with me currently, so can't tell you the kind/brand right now. But when I bought them, I was told they are the best and should last for a long time. Thanks.

200

Your steering rack and pinion could be going bad. One of my boots cracked and allowed dirt to get in which messed up the unit.

965

20-25k is NOT normal in the day and age where 80,000 mile tires are the norm. The recommended tire pressure is also figured on the OEM tires that the vehicle were sold with stock. The PROPER tire pressure will vary with every make and model of tire. For example My Matrix has Hankook Ventus V4's on it and If I'm not running them at 45 front 43 rear they WILL ride and wear like they are under-inflated. This chart will help you determine what's wrong, tires tell us alot if we're looking ;)

70

it is common problem..i have had a sienna in 2007....i replace 4 tires yearly. the car had 11 mile when driven of the lot. at fifteen thousand mile the tire were bald- evenly worn. took it back to dealership and they agreed to give a new set of tires. But never again did they replace the tires. This is the main reason i will not purchase a sienna again. too much money spent buying tires.

135

I have a 2007 Sienna with 86,000 miles. I'm only on my second set of tires, and they still have lots of tread. Is my Sienna abnormally good with tires?

180

I bought 2012 sienna and alignment was off at 57 miles, I been taking it to the dealers and complaining every time at service and 20k miles all four tires worn out....

180

Please do homework before buying Sienna and budget for tires annually and alignment ...I never had any issues with my Honda van

20

Bought 2008 Toyota Sienna New. Feb 2010 "RF slow leak, customer is aware of rear tires" per Discount Tire Oct 2010 bought 4 new Yokohama Avid tires at 44134 miles on odometer Sept 2011 "R tire has nail" per Discount Tire Oct 2012 bought 4 new Michelin Defender tires at 83979 miles at dealership May 2013 Bought 2 new Michelin Defender tires at 93369 due to nail in "side rear" and "impact bulge in outer sidewall on front tire" at dealership Feb 2014 "patched nail hole in driverside rear tire" at dealership at 111871 miles Oct 2014 Rear -right flat repair at Tires Plus at 125,511 miles Nov 19 2014 Bought 4 new Michelin Defenders 126,694 miles

80

Is the tire issue with the AWD Toyota Sienna or all Toyota Siennas? Thanks - considering buying one but worried about the tire wear

135

I have 2007 front wheel drive. No wear issues. Great van. My sister has a 2004 AWD with run-flat tires. Horrible wear problems.

20

2014 sienna with 12,000 mi and had to replace tires. New tires with 2,000 already showing wear. Been told by the tire dealer its a common problem with Toyotas, Siennas, Rav 4, 4runner and sequoias. Sold my last Toyota Sequoia due to the tire wear problem. Thought a Sienna would be better. Another mistake on my part! I asked about the Honda Van and they said no problem like Toyotas. Thing is, I like my AWD and Honda does not offer on a van. Situation sucks, its costly and will cost me $800 a year since im not buying the run flats! Its over a grand for those. I had to buy a spare tire now too!

90

WE HAVE A 2013 SIENNA AWD THAT CHEWS THE INSIDE OF THE FRONT TIRES DOWN TO METAL EVERY 10K MILES. THE DEALER KEEPS SAYING ITS OUR FAULT. BOUGHT CAR BRAND NEW.

31,365

@markmti, take your vehicle to an alignment shop, not the dealership, and then try a set of Michelin Pimacy MXM4 tires. They will last longer and stay rounder and make less noise than other brands. If it is chewing the inside of the front tires down, it has a toe in or out issue with the alignment.

20

I have a 2007 Sienna. No issues with tire wear. However, I hit a deer the first month after I bought it new in December 2006. Aligned at a good shop when repaired. I have 95000 miles on it, and I am still on my second set of tires.

30

We have a 2010, it has 120k miles on it and it will need its 5th set by end of the year. My wife drives it and anytime the tires look low or it pulls funny, it's looked at. There's nothing wrong with suspension. A TOYOTA SIENNA will eat tires about every 25-30k. I've had expensive 80k miles tires on it twice, it still ate them for lunch. If the wife didn't LOVE the van, I wouldn't own it anymore.

10

I have 2008 Sienna. Bought new. First tires worn out at 27K and replaced with Bridgestone Ecopia. Today I was doing oil change at Firestone and they complained that tires are wearing out again at 55K. I have been doing regular tire rotation and alignment re-check etc at every oil change at Firestone. So I discussed today with the mechanic and he told me that he could put a new tire seam on rear side which would help maintain the tire life. I am not sure if this is going to help or not. I asked if this is because of AWD but he said its probably because of the driving habits. But I do feel that AWD drive cars wear out tires really fast

40

We have been looking into buying a used Toyota Sienna FWD and we came across a 2012 with only 16,000 miles on it. The tires on it were obviously worn unevenly and we asked the dealer if they would be willing to replace the tires and give it an alignment. They refused to do that so we refused to purchase it and began to question why they were already worn that way at 16,000 miles when the Carfax showed regular service and tire rotation. Can anyone tell us is this tire wear common for FWDs as well as AWDs?

80

from merrill By tires from Toyota that come with free rotation. Rotate them every 4,000 miles ....... that's how often I change the oil.

80

Toyota Tires August 27, 2015 we purchased a new 2015 Sienna LE. Which now has less than 400 miles. The first mistake we made was not test driving the vehicle. Had I done this we might not have purchased a new Sienna. The second mistake was not discovering which tires came with the vehicle. Had we done this perhaps the dealership would have worked with us on the tires. We have been replacing tires on our other Toyotas by way of our local Toyota dealer. The tires are Firestone FR710 235/60R17. These tires do not have feel for the road nor corner well and in general the Sienna does not handle all that well. Not only that these tires are rated significantly lower than other recommended tires. Now we must purchase different tires to provide for that safe driving feel. This family has been driving Toyota vehicles since 1987 religiously. One can surely imagine our disappointment. New pick up trucks,Corollas and a 2001 Sienna without problems. All of our children drive Toyotas. The 2001 Sienna was just handed down to our youngest for her first year in college because it was the best preowned Toyota available running Michelin Defenders purchased through Crown Toyota. The Firestone FR710 235/60R17 is simply an inferior tire simple as that. Our other Toyotas have Michelin tires for good reason. I cannot understand why Toyota would blemish some of the best cars in the world with inferior tires. In fact I find it hard to understand why Toyota would not run Michelin Tires on all models as a Toyota Trademark. Why not provide the best driving experience possible for some of be best vehicles ever? We deal with Crown Toyota of Lawrence,Kansas and have done so for many many years. It is difficult to think we might have said no to our second Sienna had we test drove the vehicle first. Crown Toyota provides exemplary customer service make no mistake about it. However tire decisions come from upper level corporate management. One day this week we will be replacing the Firestone tires most likely with Michelins because these tires make a difference. Richard Heckler

60

I have Toyota Sienna 2006 LX FWD. I have changed tires every 20000 miles since end of 2005. Toyota dealer blames tires and alignment but I do not think that is the case. I align them regulary and used best Michelin and Bridgestone tires. The tires wear is mostly on Front, outside rim. It can not be pressure since I check it regulary. Hope other people make better buying decisions.

I have Michelin Primacy tires on a 2013 Sienna and 2 sets wore out quickly. I have 40,000 miles and need a 3rd set already. Great vehicle, horrible tire wear.

20

2015 Toyota Sienna and we're going on our 3rd set of tires and it's 2016. No abnormal road conditions for us. Just a lot of back and forth to schools and sporting events. It's abnormal and not right. Too bad Toyota Sienna owners don't know to look at the inside of their tires early and often. It would end Toyota's tire replacement scam if everyone were capable of using their very limited warranty.

20

we own a 2014, 32,000. Our very trustworthy tire guy suggested getting away from run flat, I had to get all new tires, they were all worn terrible on the inside. He aligned the front and will now use an after market shim kit to do a rear alignment. Searching the internet I am now seeing this is a common problem! Just talked to toyota dealership, he told me he'd been there a long time and has never heard of such problems. I think he is blowing a lot of hot air. He also said 30,000 is about normal for tires to wear out. :( Hoping the shims fix and our tires will last longer.

30

I have a 2006 Sienna XLE with 108,000 miles on it. Has 17" wheels. OEM tires were worn out at 18,000 miles,(cheap BFGoodrich), installed a GOOD set of Michelins, and JUST replaced them at 103,000 miles. Have ALWAYS kept cold tire pressure between 35-37psi, and rotate around 5-7,000 miles, drives and handles great. So does that make my van an odd one?

I own a 2015 sienna. One of the front tire got flat on freeway with a damage on the side of tire at just 8000miles. Toyota dealer said they do not handle tires with manufacturing defect. I emailed Michelin, no response.

The problem is with the design of the Sienna itself. Big heavy vehicl e basically on a Camry platform. Tires get worn out. I have a 2004 Sienna that is mainly used around town. Does some freeway driving every year or so for trips. Has not hit 100K miles yet but has gone through 5 sets of tires from Michelins to Pirellis. We finally just got America's Tire brand. They too are wearing out. Have had to have the car Aligned probably 3 x per year. Nice van otherwise but indicative of Toyota and their "rush to market" new model philosophy. There are so many issues with this particular model that I will never buy another Toyota ever.

10

just got a 2015 sienna se pre-certified bought at 25,000 miles the metal was showing on 2 rear tires at around 30,000 miles. Argued with them and got them to replace the 2 metal showing tires. Noticed it on the the rear ones at 55,000 miles took it to a tire shop and they said they all 4 need replaced the brand new ones had massive wear on the egdes showing metal also. They said it is a underlying alignment issue. They alligned it and said the one rear camber is still off and it needs a shim from toyota. Just paid $1,000 for these new tires and feel like toyota just threw 2 new tires on and did not fix the underlying problem. Now i have to call and argue with toyota again about this issue. Is a shim something that needs to be added over time or is it a issue that should have been corrected when they replaced the 2 tires. I am not very educated on this subject but feel it is unacceptable to have 2 new tires wear out in such little time? thanks for any help

10

We bought 2015 sienna on christmas in 2014. By the way I now own my forth Sienna minivan : 2002 le. 2009 le 2015 le and now 2016 se. The older the year the better the minivan.. my uncle had 2002 xle it was only few years back that he got rid of it at over 200k... it was a superb minivan by any standard... i drove it on few trips and loved it better than any i have owned so far. My 2002 le came used with winter tires.. one trip from albany ny to charlotte nc killed tires to the point i needed to replace them in charlotte on the way back. I attributed that to soft tires not meant to be driven over the road at 70 mph for long distance... bought Michelin best rated in sears.... they were 80k miles tires were gone in 45k... sears prorated my tires and gave me discount on a new set...michellin again...sold minivan at 110k with third set that i have put on it... wear was too aggressive for sure...michellin was my best bet by far. 2009 le bought used at 45k sold at 160k changed tires to Michelin twice... every 30000 to 40k or so not 80k that it was rated for, but at least these older siennas handled good.. My 2015 new van ..ohhhh... immediately after forst trip to Florida from charlotte i realized has isdues handling on the road...it just runs all over the road..by the time you make 10 hour trip you feel you drove a dump truck with steering issues all the way. I took to dealer ...they checked said its fine... i drove... said its not....got tired of it all together came in and traded it in for new 2016 sienna SE just to get rid of the issue on my hands... oh boy.... was i wrong. This minivan has a lot more bells and vissls huge and wide tires... just super duper minivan... we loved it from the moment we drove it.... but on my first vacation drive to florida i was driving same loaded dump truck with stearing issues. I thought my 2015 le sienna was just a fluke witb its stearing problems.... man was i wrong... My uncle another dedicated Sienna family just bought his sienna in Seattle and had it drivento charlotte nc. He said he got exhausted driving it nonstop.... it just runs left and right... you cant just keep steering wheel straight and go straight you got to keep correcting your wheel left and right if you want to stay in your lane... Now i know it is not just me or my van its all new 2015 and newer siennas that have a crappy steering desigh... or suspension.. not for me to diagnose... its for toyota,,,, but as fas as i am concerned.... this is my last sienna. Its a shame but facts are not opinions they can not be changed. By the way i still love my minivan a lot... its just cost cutting or inferior design of steering components makes the whole minivan loose its traction with reality. The minivan still drives ok in the city but not on highway....too loose on the road. When testing it on short distance on highway its hard to notice the "running" of tbe van left yo right and vise versa but on your first ling distance trip you will know you made a mistake buying new Sienna. Bill.

Bought new 2008 Toyota Sienna Limited AWD. Today we have 150000 miles and 8 sets of tires replaced. Serviced the Van at Toyota dealers only; except for two major highway tire blow-out DOBBS and Canadian Tires. Toyota blames the Run Flat tires. The two tire dealers (DOBBS and Canadian Tires) blames alignment issues with Van. Never seen anything like this...Where do we go from Here? Did anyone try writing Toyota Inc. Directly? And what is the results?

I have not written Toyota Directly, but it sounds like we all need to do that. I owned a 2000 Toyota Sienna XLE 13 years/239,000 miles and only bought 3 sets of tires after the originals... all got 60,000 miles, so a little more. I bought a brand new Toyota Sienna AWD Limited Minivan in March 2013. Today I have it at the Toyota dealler w/ 61,000 miles on it replacing my rear brakes which went bad 4 days after my last tire rotation/inspection/60K service 2 weeks ago. They just called to tell me that I need a new set of tires too. This would be my 4rth set. The original run-flats lasted 24k, which is longer than most people got. Had my car serviced at dealer days prior to a trip in July 2014 and only made it to Ohio before needing new tires. The dealer in Dublin, Ohio only had 2 run-flats so bought them and planned to make it to the next Toyota dealership heading toward Minnesota to get the next 2. That didn't work out and the run-flat collapsed it only made it 11 miles. Called Toyota Care roadside assistance. They wanted to take me back to a town who not only did not have run-flats, also did not have 18' tires. I called ahead myself and made it to Duluth where we purchased the only 18" tires we could get -- not fun-flats. Those tires lasted 20k or less... attributed it to having 2 run-flats and 2 regular tires. Bought 4 new regular tires at 41k. These tires have made it 20,000 miles, so I guess that is the norm! This has been a very high maintenance car, as I have purchased 2 sets of rear hatch struts and had them installed, so I guess they only last 20,000 miles, as well. This is becoming a very expensive car!!! Oh, and I also go to the dealer every 5,000 miles and have all recommended oil changes and services co this is a Toyota Certified vehicle. Love the AWD, so don't know what I would buy. I am a loyal Toyota owner/buyer and have bought 5 Toyotas. This is the first time I have had any problems with Toyota design flaws.

I have a 2015 sienna LE.. I previously owned a 2006 sienna LE. Only1 year of driving and 12k miles later I noticed the tires becoming bald. Why should a person who is leasing have pay for a new set of tires when the miles are low? The only answer I got was "Firestone will sell you the same type of tires at a discount". But it will result in the same wear after the same amount of miles. . My 2006 didn't need tires until 3 years into driving at 60k miles. Definitely something wrong with the newer Sienna, maybe heavier? Before I owned a Sienna I had a Honda Odyssey with no tire problems.

Siennas are notorious for tire wear. Figure on 20,000 to 30,000 miles per set at the most. Gone are the days then Toyotas were economical cars. I've been through 5 sets of tires, 3 radiators and a power steering rack in only 128,000 miles on my 2004 AWD. Goodbye Toyota, hello Honda!