AC Blowing Warm Air while stopped - 2009 Chrysler PT Cruiser

Asked by Jun 21, 2013 at 11:44 AM about the 2009 Chrysler PT Cruiser Touring

I have a 2009 Chrysler PT Cruiser.  The AC is working fine while the car is moving, but
when the car stops it blows warm air thru the vents.  Any ideas on what the issue could
be?

112,395

Check to see if fans are running behind the radiator. If not that's probably your problem. If they are check how much freon is in the system. Could be a little low. Have ac tech pull vacuum on system to check for leaks if none found recharge to proper level.

system needs vacuumed (evacuated) and charged expansion block my need replaced

may

1,175

It's also a probable that your heat is running as well. Check that out, I have done that before.

810

It's likely that your radiator fan unit needs replaced as the OEM fans in these vehicles are known to be problematic. The issue is that the low speed on the fan has died but the high speed is still ok, which prevents the engine from overheating. Since the low should ALWAYS be engaged when the A/C is running, there's a simple check to see if your fan is the culprit. With your engine cool, turn the car on and turn on the A/C. If the fan is NOT spinning, it needs replaced. (It’s important to do this check on a cool engine, otherwise the fans high speed may kick on causing you to think that the fan is working properly). This check should also be performed fairly quickly as I don't recommend running the A/C without the fan for prolonged periods. The reason for this is because when the fan isn't spinning, there is not adequate air flowing over the cooling fins to remove the heat from the refrigerant. When this happens, the A/C system builds up excessive pressure and socks the compressor which makes it hard to start. The reason the engine idles rough is because it's being bogged down while trying to run the compressor in this state. You should also know that when excessive pressure builds up in the system, it will vent some R134 (the refrigerant) to relieve the built up pressure and prevent damage to the system. So obviously, if you continue to run the A/C in this state you'll eventually need to add refrigerant. If you’re wondering why the A/C works when the vehicle is in motion, it’s because the air entering the grill from the highway is passing over the cooling fins and thereby doing the work of the fan and cooling the refrigerant. Replacing the fan yourself should take somewhere around 90 to 120 minutes. The actual part costs around $100 and there's a decent YouTube video out there that shows how to do it. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EwquTLC2Ink). This DIY repair is well worth it as I've heard some people say they were quoted around $800-900 for the repair at the dealership.

It's blow warm air I didn't check fan see if it was was running

20

(2009 PT) At 20,000 miles my A/C went out at low speed. The low speed radiator fan was out. Now at 50,000 my A/C started blowing warm air. The A/C belt was broken.

10

on my 2005 cursier 100,000 miles did the same thing, low speed stopped work'g, replaced the fan ( via youtube video) & it works great now