How is the PT Cruiser?

Asked by Mar 25, 2012 at 04:00 PM about the 2009 Chrysler PT Cruiser Touring

Seriously thinking of purchasing a PT Cruiser. Does anyone know if the car has a pacific maintenance issue?

30

I know that you have to be carful that if you live in the snow belt that the under side of them will rust out very quick. Other than that great little car awesome on gas.

195

I have to Pt Cruisers. One is a 2004 N/A PT Cruiser the other one is a 2005 PT Cruiser GT. They both have been fantastic and very reliable. Have had no issue with them and have only done routine maintenance on them. Its roomy for its size and I find it easy to park it in small areas. I have used it to bring a lot of things home, most recently took a trip to Best Buy to get a new 55" T.V and it had room for it and my passenger as well as the other things we had purchased on our trip to Best Buy. Over all very satisfied with it.

1,045

I have a 2004 that I bought brand new in April, 2005. Love the car. I have over 230,000 miles on it and it's still driving fine. I had the transmission rebuild at 160,000 and have gone through a few timing belts. The computer got replaced at about 200,000, and I've replaced the struts and shocks. Other than general maintenance (tires, oil changes, etc.), that's all I've had to do. It's a great car and I'm going to keep it until it's completely dead!

45

I actually have one for sale. It's a great car. I have owned two. Put 140,000 miles on the first one that I bought new. I have 105,000 miles on the convertible that I bought as a certified pre-owned at 25,000 miles. You should test drive and see what you think!

445

We've got 3 in the family and there are about 10 in the neighborhood... I've got a 2001 and my mom has a 2002. Both are "Limited Edition" trims. A cousin has a 2001 (also Limited). No problems at all besides the weight. Creates a solid car, but affects fuel economy and performance.

30

My 2001 PT Cruiser has been great for me! In 2005, w/074254 mi. I purchased a vehicle that I could easily get my GoGo Scooter in and out of the hatchback as I am episodically handicapped. This was the answer for me! I had a complete check up w/new battery, 2 arm controls, both tie rod ends etc, at 92.721 miles before my California trip in July of 2008, when I towed a 4 X 8 U Haul trailer packed solid with my precious belongings from Northern Michigan to Southern California, and it came through the mountains just fine! In 2010 w/106,266 mi. it was suggested that I needed to have my transmission rebuilt at the Chrysler dealer, and I also had problems with the key ignition and lock cylinder, which they replaced. My favorite mechanic (not at Chrysler) found it just needed a new battery. It drives through the heavy sandy desert roads of my area just fine. It does seem to take a larger area to turn around in than expected. Now in November of 2013, I have 118,113 miles on it.

20

I have a 2005 PT Cruiser Limited Edition Turbo "White" . If you like weak transmissions, senor problems, and top end work on engine then buy on. Most the people on here say this when there car is a lemon. Mine yes, but 04 pt's and up, I don't care who says it, tranys suck.. These cars are good, infact mines great. Bought it new specially ordered, but when they break, so does your wallet. I build exotic sport cars (fiberglass kit cars) and I'm very educated on this stuff and I've been threw the ropes on my car... It seems the Turbo models have more problems. 2004 Chrysler redid the trany's (made them more weaker). 2005 is the problem child of all years In my opinion, seems Chrysler had more oops all over the place. Mine, just hit 71,000 miles and I've had 3 auto trany's, one engine, all motor mounts all trany mounts, power steering pump, both CV axles, cam sensor, map sensor, and now today Starter (replaced that and now I have no fuel, won't start, btw it ran perfect yesterday drove it in turned it off, this morning now nothing, idk??) oh, and if you look in the air box (love this lol) you will see the oil breather (on valve cover) is connect to it. Chrysler puts a pos sponge to block the oil, which does not work, all it does is bypass the sponge causing your air filter to soak in oil, which now your engine will burn oil while running. made my laugh when I spotted that lol. so I made aftermarket breather fit so its not connected to air filter box. I highly recommend this.. Overall for a normal person wanting a nowdays car, sure why not, but for a mechanic that knows what's a good deal, HELL NO.. one look inside the engine compartment, specially turbo models, ha, CRAMMED working space..... Alternators are fun too btw lol.. Just throwing my testimony out there for yah, the only reason why I have this car still is, #1. Sentalmental Value, (Grandparents last car they bought) #2. I replaced just about everything on it, and now I know the car and what it is and how to fix it, I could do it blindfolded now lol why get another lemon and go threw that all over again...... My advice, buy a Porsche, I have one, never had a problem....

70

I own 2, a 2007 and a 2003 and the only problem I have had with either is the high speed fan system does seem to work correctly and either the fan unit or the relay seem to go out. Both of mine had no problems until they were well over 100,000 miles. A friend also has one that had the same problem with the cooling system. If I had anywhere near the problems as the previous writer I would check my driving habits and the parts or repairs (3 tranny's ???) that were being done. There are far too many of these cars that most drivers have little or no problems with. "weak transmissions" I have 230,000 on my 07 and never touched it. My wife's 03 has 160,000 and we have never touched it either. I also haven't been into my engine top or bottom end.

20

@techman1 open the trany up, if you know what parts your looking for they are weak. you have never done any work on one, ask someone who has. they're junk. crammed working space and junk.. is your 07 turbo? there's a difference...

30

DONT BUY IT!!!!! We have a 2002 pt loser and its nothing but a pos! Replaced the fan switch, fan, transmission(2x), ignition switch, radiator, sway arms, and now the freakn water pump. There's always something wrong or going out in this car. It's absolutely the worst car I have ever owned and am selling it now. Any buyers?? Yes I need a new car but maybe you should re think it!!