2005 ford escape center console shifter problem

40

Asked by May 05, 2013 at 02:20 PM about the 2005 Ford Escape XLT

Hi,

I have a 2005 Ford Escape XLT and I just noticed this last night when I put it in park my numbers 1 and 2 at the bottom of the shift lights come on and the back end is exposed, this never happened before, see image
Is this an easy fix? if so how can I fix it or, do I have to take it somewhere to be fixed, I'd like to be able to fix this myself if I can

Thank you for any help or direction with this problem.

Kelly

26,425

you can take the shifter apart and see what happened with the piece that slides with it as shown in the picture. If its not broken you can probably put it back in place.

40

kbro, you are the best!! Thank you so much for answering my post, but how does that come off? I lifted that little tab but I saw no screw in there, I don't want to break it, does that ring just pop off? Thank you again for your help I can't begin to tell you how much I appreciate you taking the time to help me

26,425

here is a picture that might help.

Best Answer
26,425

there is a screw here if the handle needs to come off.

26,425

in the picture. piece labeled #5 there are two screw towards the back if you raise the center console lid that need to be removed before you can get it out. other than that the rest of the pieces just clip on.

40

kbro, you are awesome!! thank you so very much!!!

40

hey I have one more thing to ask you, if you don't mind, to replace the external back door handle on the passenger side do I need to purchase the whole thing? the door handle was yanked off accidentally, by bother pulled on it too hard and it broke off, do you have a diagram to show that as well? I'm sorry to be asking you for more help, but you really know what you're doing and I really do appreciate your time, Thanks again

26,425

it comes in a couple pieces. it depends on which piece is broken. the handle is seperate in this picutre is seperate from the reinforcement.

26,425

not as good of a picture

26,425

5 is the handle, 6 are the seals, 8 is the reinforcement

40

Yes 5 is what was broken off, would I need to replace the whole thing?

26,425

if the reinforcement is fine then you can just replace the handle.

40

yea just the handle broke off (number 5) but I see a little plastic tab is broken off on the handle part, does a new handle come that plastic piece and how do I remove the current broken one out of the door< I'm sorry to bother you with all these questions but Thank you so much for helping me

26,425

you need to take the door panel off on the inside and take the two nuts that hold the reinforcement off and disconnect the rods and remove the whole thing. then you can replace the handle or the whole thing if you prefer. it easier just to replace the whole thing and be done with it. it not much more money and its piece of mind.

40

do you know where I can purchase the handle or the whole thing and also do you know where I can buy that plastic piece from my shifter , you're advice was great and I managed to get it out seems it had slipped down behind the shifter, I notice it has tracks on the underneath side but it's all cracked and dry so I was wondering if you knew where I can buy another one, Thanks again you are an Angel

26,425

the dealer is the best place so you know your gettin good parts that will fit. In this case I dont think the dealer would be much more than buying them from your local parts store advanced auto zone ect. you can also find them all over the internet if you prefer that way. just google it and you get all kinds of results.

40

what would you call that plastic piece in the shifter so I can Google it, I have no clue Thanks

26,425

I would call it a shifter bezel maybe. That piece may not be serviced seperate from the shifter assembly.

40

Thanks, I will try that I was also looking to get one of the glass hinges for the back lift gate window, the one on the passenger side has broken off as well, do you know where I can find one of those? Thanks,

Hi Kelly, I've had this same issue with my car! Were you able to find a replacement part for the plastic potion on the shifter? Please let me know if you've been able to fix this!

30

Where would I find the small cap next to the shifter? Mine has came undone and lost. I cannot find a diagram to locate the part

30

Please note that when taking the shifter off be prepared to have to small long pointed Needle nose pliers , two sets of hands so yours and another. The reason why is that once you take that screw out on the shifter, you need to grasp the plastic part that joins to the top part of the shifter, and pry apart with force until the snap lets go and then the top shifter part slides off. Than you will notice that there are two small wires with 2 small brass clips that were clipped on to the gear shifter top part. This is for your overdrive button. You will need dexterity and these long needle nose pliers to reconnect the little brass clips back on to the brass tabs of the shifter top part again. the trouble is with ours, these wires were barely long enough to peek out of the bottom plastic piece that encloses the steel shaft of the shifter itself. You have to push the bottom plastic tube part of the shifter pieces so the the wires are exposed and peeking out the top and then with one person holding the one wire with their needle nose and you the other you have to clip both wires back on the top shifter knob as you slid it on the steel shaft again. It requires patience and a good eye. Also make sure the lower plastic piece that slides onto the steel shaft has the u Shaped channel facing the front of the vehicle. That small channel is the only spot the wires will slide up through the plastic piece. Hopefully this will make sense once you get to that point. Or hopefully the manufacturer left you a little more length on these two small wires.

10

deadcandance, i accidently forecefully removed the overedrive cables from the top shifter, when i reconnected it my overdrive wouldnt turn off anymore so its stuck on "on" or i think atleast. Is there correct way of putting them back on there brass tabs, like a specific one goes on which? I have a 2005 mazda tribute which is very similar. Thanks in advance.