driver door wont stay shut

5

Asked by Mar 18, 2016 at 10:01 PM about the 2005 Ford Escape XLS 4WD

its not stuck it just does not work. wat do i replace. i have 2 children 13 and 3
and iam a single dad and i need to try to fix this myself as money is verry tight
can some 1 please help me?

4,865

So this can be a simple issue. So I need some more information to advise you Mike. Does that door just bounce back open when you try to close it, (like the hooking that keeps the door closed is already in the closed position?) This would normally be accompanied by a bang as the metal fastener that keeps the door close would hit the hook that holds the door closed. The other thing I would look at is to see if the door mechanism is stuck open ( a piece of metal held by a spring that "hooks" into the hook in the door jam to keep the door closed? When you use the inner or outer door handle like you were opening the door, is there any action on the hook? does it move? Ill keep and eye on your post and see if I can find a video on how to address this issue. Best of luck

5

the latch does notheing if i use either inside or outside handle.

5,245

There are only two parts to the door latch that would be most possible for this problem. The striker on the door jam or the latch itself in the door. Start with the striker... You will probably need a special star socket to adjust it. Make small adjustments and close it to see if that corrects the problem. You don't say if the door does close all the way but just pops open or if it seems loose. If it is just loose, this might be all you need to do. If it turns out to be the latch in the door, you will need to remove the door panel to get at the screws that hold the latch in.