Interior Noise

90

Asked by Nov 25, 2009 at 10:54 AM about the 2009 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 LT1 Crew Cab 4WD

I have a 2009 crew cab and from the first time I drove it I noticed interior road noise coming from the rear of the vehicle. I am suspecting that it is coming in from the air boxes behind the rear seat between the cab and the box. I had a 2006 previously and never had this interior in that vehicle. I have drove several other similar vehicle and it has the same noise including extended cabs. It is not unbearable but I find it a nuisance.  I have the 18 inch factory tires and they are a more aggressive grip than the 17 inch. Has anyone else noticed this and can anything be done to bring the sound down.

9,040

The beat thing to kill road noise is sound deader. Just apply it to the inside of the cad and it sound quiet it down. Stick some sheets on the inside of the cab and spray the wheel wells for the most effect.

40

I just bought a new 2010 Chevrolet 1500 LTZ crew cab 4x4. And on the way home from the dealer i noticed the same thing. I stuffed towels in my air boxes with no help. Looking for answers.

130

I was curious about the tire noise my 2010 LT is making but its only on the passenger side in the back and the passengers confirm it is like the door is partially open ( its not) where as the drivers side is quiet. Called my dealer and the tech said I was the 6th call on this. He said he tried for a week on a customers vehicle to find the culprit and had no luck. He also checked with Chevy and they have yet to get back to him. He said these complaints have only happened for the 2010 pickups. Otherwise its been great to drive and love the 18-19 MPG.

90

I have a 2009 Siverado and I noticed the noise as soon as I test drove the truck because my 2006 did not have it and was quieter. I have ridden in the back to determine where the sound comes from. As far as I can determine it is soming from the air box behind the seat. This is the out let that lets the incoming air that comes from the A/C and heater to exhaust to the outside without pressurising the cabin too much. I do not know how to quiet it down. In my 2006 GMC they were visible because of the way the rear seat folded down but in the new style the back of the rear seat stays up and you cannot see them. If anyone has any ideas please provide them. The dealers seem to think thsi is normal and before I bought this truck I test drove another one and it was the same. I feel it is in the design of this component.

130

Chevy has a fix for this issue now. They replace the whole sound proofing material behind the rear seat (longer piece reaches to the floor)stuffed and plugged the access holes back there as well also added more sound deadening patches on exposed metal surfaces. I believe they closed off the cab vents as well? It sure made a major improvement!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I have a Nice truck now!

60

could you please tell me if they fixed this as a warrenty issue or your dealer did it for you or you paid to have it done. i as well as many people would like to know exactly what you had done. i traded in my 2006 Z71 for a 2011 Z71 with appearance package and the noise is loud and obviouse compared to the 2006. My dealer ( Emmert Motors Saint Helens Oregon) has changed tires twice for me to try and resolve the problem. came with bridgestone dueler rhs . they upgraded them to michelin ltz m/s 2's. then they put on bridgestone dueler alanza's. still cannot belive they went to so much trouble for me. the highly rated michelins were noisier then the original tires and road rough. the bridgestones alanzas cut the noise the michelins made in half and are a signifinately softer ride. but that rear road noise ( mostly right side ) still very , very noticable. i would really appreciate a reply. thanks alot, Gene H. Picture is with original tires and wheels.

Check out TSB # 10-08-58-0001E. for 2010 and 2011 trucks

I have a 2011 and the rear vents were noisy .The dealership had notices regarding that and installed a new baffle that was supposed to take care of it under warranty.They had a porter who never did this before do it and it didnt help at all.Can't get to the vents to stuff something in them without taking out the rear seats.So turn the radio up.

10

I have a 2001 gmc and it's leaking water inside the cab . I pulled everything out in the back seat this is a crew cab . I noticed water setting right below this vent on the back of cab behind the drives seat , what is this vent for and has anyone ever had water leaking in from this vent .

The vent is to equalize cabin pressure. When you turn on heat or AC there is fresh air coming into the cabin until you press "recirculate" which then closes off the fresh air venting. Like in winter you should press "recirculate" to heat the cabin faster. The venting process is for being able to close your door with all the windows are up... if not the door would cause a pressure build up in the cab and you door would likely need a hard slam to close tight vs a normal closing of the door.