ABS/ / flashing red brake light

10

Asked by Jan 04, 2017 at 10:52 PM about the 2009 Volkswagen Jetta SE

These lights came on in my car. So my husband immediately changed from
and back brakes. The back brakes were pretty warn which I'm sure is why the
lights when off to begin with. My question is now that this is complete the
lights are still on. We have unplugged the battery and restarted. Also added
brake fluid. With driving the car ( which is stopping great) back and forth to
auto zone. We also turned the car on and off several times with no luck of
them turning off. Is there a way I can get them to turn off at home or is it
something that vw will have to look at.

120,815

You don't have to go to the dealer, most independent shops can handle this, I believe the problem is in the ABS system, so the codes will have to be read and the diagnostics performed too find out what is not operating as it should, in the meantime, remember when those lights are on the ABS is off so, in a panic stop the brakes will lockup the tires and you could skid out of control unless you grew up driving older non antilock vehicles and learned how to stop in a panic with those cars.

12,965

He is right if the abs light is on there is likely a fault in either a wheel sensor or something wrong with the abs system itself. If you can get under the car i would check the pump system under the car for damage or signs of something broken or frayed. find yourself a shops that specializes in European or vw/audi cars tho as they will get a more in depth scan of the car and will be able to tell where the problem is much quicker then a joe blow shop who will likely just state something for a paycheck.

10

Thank you for feed back. Took my car to a small vw shop and for some reason my computer wouldn't talk to the diagnostic machine. With that being said they will be keeping my car on Monday to take a deeper look and see what has caused the lights to come on.

120,815

On most cases where the main processor won't link with the diagnostic machine is winds up being a blown fuse, and if the ABS is linked to the fuse that would also explain the light turning on. Hope they have a guy that knows his VW stuff.

10

He did check my fuse box under the hood and didn't see any blown fuses. Should I look again and see. He just looked at them with a flashlight but didn't pull any out to inspect them.

120,815

The best way is to pull one at a time and ohm it if it is open replace it. I maybe wrong but I thought these had two fuse boxes, 1 in the engine compartment and the other inside on the drivers side.

10

Yes I do have 2 fuse boxes. Going to check during the day tomorrow. I went to leave to take my daughter to gymnastics and the lights went off. But when I parked and went back out to the car the lights were back on.

12,965

you can get a fuse testor in a kit that touchs the back of the fuse prongs and lights up while its pluged in. Some times pulling all the fuses can be worse for your car as it un powers things like your stereo and if you don't have a code for it you now have a usless stereo that costs over 150$ at the dealer.

10

Thank you. Glad I waited for a response before I looked.