05 Escape Limited...baaaaad shudder problem

Asked by Sep 24, 2009 at 10:16 AM about the 2005 Ford Escape Limited 4WD

PLEASE can someone give me some insight?
Have an 05 Escape, never had a problem with it until just recently. It now has a constant 'flutter' when driving (almost the feel & sound you experience when you drive from a regular paved surface onto a concrete surface).  While the 'flutter' is bearable (although it can't be good), the more serious issue is the oh sooooo random (yet extreme) shudder!
The flutter randomly gets worse until it's in a full on shudder, then my "service emissions" light comes on, then whenever it feels up to it the light goes off and shudder subsides back to a flutter!
Initially, the scanner was picking up a "3rd cylinder misfire" code.  Had the Master Air Intake replaced (which didn't improve anything really), and now when the "service emissions" light rests itself and we run a scan, ZERO codes are being stored....so where do I go from here?? ANY IDEAS??

35

well i'm not sure about where your shudder is coming from but if its from any corner of the suv it's prolly the wheel bearings. my mom has an '02 explorer and she's had to replace all four of hers and one of them twice with under a hundred thousand miles

120

I own a 05 Escape and had the same problem. At least one of your cylinders has a faulty fuel injector and ignition coil, mine had two. It gets really expensive if you find out the damage was caused by the engine's computer which can send out faulty signals and damage the coils and injectors which is what happened to me. And then to top it off, if you don't change the coil(s), injector(s) and the computer quickly, deposits will build up in the catalytic converters and all three cats will also have to be changed. Which is what happened to me and cost me over $5,000. Good Luck!!! - John D.

45

I had a shudder problem as well and found out that all I had to do was replace the U joint in the middle of the drive shaft. It fixed my shudder and it was really cost effective because I replaced the part myself.

50

WOW, I went down and bought a Coil Boot for the Plug! ONE Bolt, One Clip and fixed the studder I had at 40 - 70 MPH. Had to turn off OVERDRIVE to clear the studder. I looked at the side of the boot and it has a burned pin hole in the side.

50

Check your error codes - if none, check each coil boot for burned pin holes and $80 bucks a piece, don't go crazy. :) The studder I had was a missfire. Mine did not show an error until after I did a transmission flush. Then the error popped up solving all the issues. It was shorting through the boot when the rpms got the voltage high enough.