Should I replace the timing belt?

Asked by Sep 19, 2016 at 08:18 PM about the 2009 Hyundai Accent GS

I just bought a 2009 Hyundai Accent with 99k miles from a local car lot and
they say they drove it for 3000 miles and it's a great car. They have no
documented evidence that the timing belt was ever replaced but he told me
if it hadn't been, that it would have broken by now. Do you agree with this? I
hate to spend $500 for a new belt and water pump when I may not even
need it. Thanks for any input. It's supposed to be replaced every 60k miles.

20,915

No not the case it could make it over 100K. I purchased a Honda that never was changed out it had 130k miles and had not broken and it cost $130.00 parts. I think belt was $60+ and rest on water pump and tax. I did the install. I think $500 for parts & labor is way over board. It only takes a couple hours taking your time and for a shop that does this all the time, call aound.

20,915

I would for sure change it out I do not think I made that clear in my 1st post.

27,785

time to look at it..condition of belt...some last forever some dont..sounds like it was serviced and is in good shape..

20,915

I think the repair book says every 60K miles. 99% of people do not follow these suggestions from the owners manual so I would change it, it cheap insurance as if it breaks will cost thousands to repair.

Thank you all. I was going to buy a 06 Sentra with 118k from him, then changed my mind to the Accent, but he's offering sentra for $1000 below book, but the Accent he wants $800 over book, plus it may need a timing belt. I'm thinking if I can't get him down to buy the Sentra after all. If I back out he keeps $500 of my money. What should I do? I verbally told him I'd take the Accent for $4750 + tax = $5171. That's $750 more than it's worth according to Edmunds.com

20,915

The accent is 3 years newer almost 20000 less miles, So he gets $500 even if you decide to not buy from him? Edmounds is considered by the general public to be on the high side of quotes. If you do not mind me asking how did you get in on a deal that he make $500 on you for not buying? That sounds like over a barrel. I would have them checked out at your mechanic not his and find out for sure the condition of those issues and cost to repair and replace anything coming up in near future, and decide on what your willing to pay verses the upcoming out way of cash to keep it running maintained as it should be and make offer, I think it should be no more than the edmounds quote if it needs nothing and deduct from there. if it means leaving $500 on the table so be it to not have to deal with them, even more so if the mechanics have bad news for you.

Yes, that's his rule. They have spent time with me so that will be the fee if I back out now, and I'm considering it.

How? I paid for the '06 Sentra, then became more interested in the newer 2009 H Accent.

1,990

That salesman's "would've broken by now" statement is asinine at best. What he's saying is: If it hasn't broken, it's not going to. Don't fall for it. What it really means is that the breaking of the belt is just ahead, possibly before you ever get home with the car. A used car salesman will tell you whatever he has to tell you just so he can sell that car. And $500 to repair and replace the belt and water pump is way out of line. If a mechanic told you that, find another mechanic.

20,915

$350 for belt and water pump Maybe, anymore than that I would shop around. I had a Sentra 88 model and it was a good car (parts were high)but not many on the road now IDK I did not since buy another and I felt like the ones that came after it were even more disposable.

20,915

I think the best way to have leverage in this negotiation is to get the Accent to your mechanic and have a inspection done and find out if it needs work soon. Use this as deduction point to start your offer for it.