problems flat towing 2009 ford escape

60

Asked by Mar 25, 2011 at 07:51 AM about the 2009 Ford Escape XLT V6 4WD

Is anyone else having transmission problems(3 in 6 months) flat towing their 2009 Escape?

if yours is all wheel drive,it is not recomented to tow it.im guessing when you do you put it in nutural,best thing is remove driveshaft,that way the rear wheels are free turning.know its a pain to remove and reinstall but it will stop your tranny problems after towing it.

20

Yes, I have a 2010, I-4 FWD. On my trip to Florida the trans. burned out upon arrival in Florida. Fortunately Ford gave me a new trans. and I was good to go according to them. They told me this trans. was an upgraded version and I could tow faster than 65mph. (I don't) In the spring on my return trip I was experiancing fluid loss through the vent. Had it topped off in PA and took it to my local dealer once I got home to upstate NY. If you look in the owners manual under "emergency towing", they want you to flat bed tow the vehicle. This counterdicts "recreational towing". Ford still haven't given me a reason why or a solution.

20

60

I have a lawyer for my problems and can give you the name if you would like. My suggestion is that you get a lawyer because this is just the surface of your problems.

20

You can send me your lawyer info. but I plan on selling my motorhome so my problem should stop.

I dont have any problems,just ansewered your question????

10

We have a 2010 FWD Ford Escape with automatic transmission -- or should I say HAD. Just completed a motorhome trip towing the Escape from Florida to Texas and then to Massachusetts. In Texas I had the transmission looked at and they said it had overheated so they flushed it and refilled it with fresh transmission fluid and sent me on my way. In Massachusetts I took it to the dealer who said that the transmission had problems and was "fried" so they replaced the transmission under warranty. When we got back to Florida we solved the problem -- traded the Escape for a Jeep Liberty Sport 4X4, I recommend that all Escape owners that are flat towing it to get rid of it!!!

if it is all wheel drive it is not recomended for towing,unless the driveshaft is removed before towing.

60

Had similar problems and also trading for a Jeep Liberty! :-) but not before having a law suit with Ford and getting a settlement from them. Have the name of a lawyer who is good with this and also you pay nothing to them.

10

YES!!!! The transmission dip stick was manufactured too long for the Escape there for it reads full when there isn't enough transmission fluid in the reservoir. I burned up my transmission towing it from St. Louis to New Orleans and had to leave it on the side of the road in Memphis to be towed to the dealership when it was 3 weeks old!~ They had to replace a lot of stuff including the transmission. Get the proper dipstick, run your car for 5 mins before towing and don't tow over 65 mph. Haven't had any problems since.

10

Lots of problems from what I am reading. Sounds like a Class Action Lawsuit?

25

Well, if the transmission in the Ford Escape is anything like the transmission in the Ford BroncoII and the Ford Rangers, then they are just weak, plain and simple. You see, the transmission in the Ford BroncoII and the Ford Ranger was just a Ford Pinto Transmission fitted with overdrive. So, more than likely the Ford Esacpe may have the same idea. Using a car transmission, and fitting it with overdrive. That was the problem with 90 percent of the Ford BroncoII and Ford Rangers that had a automatic transmission in them. Also the Ford Explorers as well, had this transmission, as well.

30

Tried it with out much luck. First transmission burnt up. Put a Remco pump on the second one. First pump lasted 150 miles. Second pump lasted 1000 miles and died. Had to drive the Escape separately from the RV for the remainder of the trip, 300 miles. Probably going to trade the Escape.

Wow it looks like so many people is having TROUBLE TOWING there Ford Escape, I also did the same thing I went to Longview WA all the way to SPOKANE WA when I took it off the car Dolly I made it about 2 feet and that was it. I call FORD and they took care of the hole thing if I would had to paid for it my trip would be over. Aaron

Having same problem with our ford escape, purchased car in 2010 and had to replace transmission in spring 2011, towed it for 2 years and then this year took off on a trip and went 91 miles before the transmission was fried, now setting in Salt lAKE cITY WAITING for another new transmission at a cost of $8,000.00 Can't afford to trade in after the repairs are done. Why didn't Ford let us know about this problem and not sale the Escape as a towable car.

20

I am also very disappointed with Ford. We purchased our 2010 Ford Escape and currently on our 3rd transmission. I have expressed my total disappointment to what I was told as the highest person within Ford and all they offered me was to purchase another Ford product at "employee price". I might point out that this offer was made at the same time that Ford was running there friends and family pricing promotion. I told the Ford Rep that I was not interested and asked what my next step would be and he told me to find a good lawyer. I am asked for the name of the lawyer that was mentioned in this string so I can pursue legal recourse. I find it totally unbelievable that Ford would mid represent there product and feel that they have no responsibility.

20

Would love to talk with jewells7. Does anyone know how I can reach him about legal assistance.