What should i do if i got cheated by the dealer and how can i share my bad experience with the rest?

Asked by May 26, 2012 at 12:08 AM about the 2009 Ford Escape XLS 4WD

The dealer was MR CARS AUTO SALE. I live in Philadelphia PA the dealer is in Elmhurst NY. Before going
to the dealer i looked at the pictures of the car and liked them. Then I called the dealer and asked him
questions about the car if for example it had any shortcomings and the answer was that it didn't have
any problems and was in "excellent condition" (as he said). Then the dealer told me to give him a
deposit because he told us that he could sell the car to anybody else. Being scared that we could
lose such a good deal I paid him the money.
I asked a guy who had to take a day off to help me tow the car, traveled almost 225 miles in both
ends, spent 50 dollars on gas and 45 on tolls, suffered for a long time in NY traffic and what i saw
didn't come up to my expectations. The car was horrible- the front passenger seat was a little bit
torn, the right mirror was broken, one of the switch buttons for the cd player on the steering wheel
was missing, and the car had two holes on the roof filled with black silicone though the car itself was
white so you can imagine how it looked like. It was not what I had seen on the pictures and the
dealer had lied to me that the car had no problems at all. He kept insisting that the car was still in an
"excellent condition". If this car was in an excellent condition according to him I can imagine what his
other cars which fall under  category "good" and "satisfactory" look like!!!  When I refused to buy this
car he in his turn refused to return me all the money i had paid.  He told me that he would keep $300.
So i got cheated and lost my money  and time. I want everybody to know about this awful dealer to
avoid such scams!!   
VIN of the car is- 1fmcu92739ka09365

did you check it out in person before closing the deal? never buy sight unseen, post as much as you can everywhere about the way you were treated, people don't remember 100 good things, but will never forget 1 bad one.

425

have your lawyer talk to the dealer and try to get your money back, it could work and even if it cost you that much to pay the lawyer wouldnt you rather pay him than the dealer? just a possible action but i agree with cj2121 dont ever get talked into a deposit or a sight unseen car. most used car lots will do anything to sell their cars.

Yeah, i agree with u cj2121. Now i learnt on my mistake. Actually my lawyer talked with the dealer but the dealer was so self confident that the lawyer could not do anything. The dealer told him that there was no law that he must return the money to the client back.

120

I would advise you to write to the Pennsylvania Attorney General Office. There should be an 800 number listed in the phone book for you to call and get a complaint form. Better yet download it from the internet. The Attorney General's Office will forward your complaint. You will be assured of an answer even tho it might not be the answer you are looking for from the dealer.

25,005

I know I'm 2 years late on replying to this. Let me ask you...What even possessed you to go to NYC area to buy a used car in the first place. If you drive thru just about ANY of the boroughs, the cars all look like they have been in a warzone! I really DO hope you got your $$ back, but if it was just $300.00, you got off easy IMO...That car was probably a massive money pit! I live in the Philly Metro area, plenty of decent places in PA and Southern NJ to buy a vehicle.