Checking feon with a gage from a a/c kit

40

Asked by May 22, 2016 at 11:55 AM about the 2009 Ford Escape Limited V6 4WD

Can you get a reading correctly with the compressor not working   Because
the clutch doesn't engage   I put a gage on the line and said it was low but
the car was off

101,875

You must jumper the low pressure switch to start the system operating and then add gas to specs, then remove jumper and reconnect tie cycling switch and recheck operation, depending on out sides temp the text book reading should be 32 low side and 150 high side. HTH

40

Tennis shoe they tell me that it is not good the jump the pressure switch And the 09 has one pressure switch that I know of on top of the accummulator I'm lost because some say you can just add feon with compressor working when it get enough it will kick in, but how do I know how much is there before I start filling . Would like to know the amount that is there

40

Tennisshoe want to say in the one brfore ( compressor NOT working )! Sorry

101,875

What kind of charging system do you have?

40

I'm only using the ac pro can from auto zone " I had a different gage from a older unit attached to a the blue hose I put it to the charging side ,just the gage attached to the hose it read it was low , on the green side just a 1/4! Way Now the car was off because I figured the compressor wasn't engaging anyway so I just put it on valve

101,875

OK, so your doing a cold charge, so just hook up the can as it shows in the instructions start the engine and turn on the A/C switch, then pull the trigger or valve on the charging can and hold it on until the clutch engages, it may cycle a few times before it settles in and start staying on, watch the gauge on the can when it reaches 32 stop the flow and let the system stabilize, you still may need to add more until the gauge stays steady on 32. Sometimes it takes more than 1 can to refill a system, the way you are doing it is way expensive, that's why most guys either have a hot charging station or at least a good set of manifold gauges, when you can buy the small cans or even the big 30lb bottles keeps the cost down.

40

Well just went and filled it ,it showed I was at low side on the can I got the gage in the white is low so I fill to where it has to go to so it is at the right range but the compressor never turn on. So I am back to square one and it filled it fast so it must know have been that low I guess I will put a strand of copper wire on one side of the relay to check and see if relay is sending power to the compressor I hope I can find this problem

40

Should have knew that the feon was ok because the two fans would have spun if feon is two two low and hi also. It also spins both fans when the presser switch is no good ". But everything was ok till my fan went out and it was working off the high fan so when I saw that ac didn't work I thought that it was because car was working off the high fan and wouldn't let ac work. For a caution So when I replaced the dual fan the fans worked but the ac still didn't. Maybe there is something I need to change with the fans

101,875

The PCM controls the A/C, so if the 134 levels are good the switches are closed and the PCM takes over, so if the compressor is not running with the system full then one can only assume that a switch os bad or the PCM has shut down the A/C all together, either through a fault in the circuit or the actual PCM itself has been compromised. Have you tried pulling the codes? Possibly there is a stored memory code for something in the A/C circuit.

40

The code reader I got doesn't show those kind of codes think it show just for car running stuff Because I don't get nothing but a code for my gas filler neck So if it is the pcm I would have to replace a new computer I put this last year because of the coil wires didn't fire rit. Because of computer. Cost me 800 then 200 to flash it and ford got no warranty on comps u do yourself.

101,875

Then you may need to spend a few bucks and have the system checked out by a shop that has a live data scanner that can access the PCM, and sensor input readings.

40

If it is shutting down does that mean I wouldn't get a reading from the relay switch going to compressor were would it stop at. Do you know?

101,875

There would be no signal at the A/C clutch relay, on the coil side of the relay, not the power source side.

40

I think I have power going to the 2 on one side facing firewall one is when the relay was off Was going to put a copper strand on the other 2 legs of the relay plug it back in and see if the power crosses over Hey thanks for helping me out there mr shoes , really appreciate it

101,875

Only one of those is a ground the other is hot when the relay turns on.

40

Well I have power when I turn on car going on 3 legs of relay the other is ground I guess So power does go through the relay

101,875

Ok so the BCM has not shut out the A/C then you must have an open in the circuit it could be a pressure switch or a wiring problem.

40

If it was a pressure switch the 2 fans would run at same time . That's what happened last year and from what I see on a schamtic shows the relay would not got power. Is that right ? Going to post the drawing of diagram tomorrow

40

I don't have any power going to the the compressor plug but I got coming to and from relay .. Did notice something the power going into and out the relay is registering 14.v is that something to look at And this problem started when the dual fans when and the high fan was only one working when car would get hot to cool down. Is there something that works with that fan to let it know when to turn on and off , I keep wondering if the problem is got to do with the fans going out that time and I need to change something with it

101,875

Do you have that kind of voltage at the low pressure switch both I and out?

40

Ok the probe said I'm getting 5.0 and assume it was in and 0.9 going out the other is ground

101,875

That's too low, it should be battery voltage in and battery voltage out and to the compressor clutch.

40

Y is it I can not find a pressure switch on the other line. The only switch I see is on the accommulater. It is a 3 prong switch . That is it . Any schematic for a 09 mariner or a escape same car v6 nobody has or I can't find , this is nuts

40

Ok ,well finally got the Ac working. As for the power going to three wire pressure switch its a 5 volt switch so the 5.1 was good the relay is going to get the 14.5 going in when car is on that was ok . So was power. The problem was the freon , yes even though I was getting a reading that it was full. The hi side was he key for some reason the air was in the low side showing ok and the freon Liquid part was not enough on hi side was leaking out believing from the hi hose from compressor to condencer . Funny how you believe that the gage you get to fill up the system with , that come with he big can will not give you a accurate reading , you need to use for both sides . So after changing and hose and vacuuming system and refilling ,I got a smile on my face . Did cost me 290 though ,LOL .. Thank you Tennis shoe for your help and support ..

101,875

Yeah, that is why you need a manifold set of gauges, those refil cans they sell I think cause more problems than they fix, you really need that high side reading. Glad you got it fixed.