I am losing coolant but I cannot find the leak.

Asked by Apr 05, 2015 at 06:32 PM about the 2009 Saturn VUE Hybrid

I have a 2009 Saturn Vue Hybred.  Does anyone know if TSB 09-06-02-006A applies to
this vehicle?  It is the surge tank replacement.  I am losing coolant but I cannot find the
leak.  I by-passed the heater core and that was not it.  HELP

If you are losing coolant but have evidence of leaking check to see if it's getting into the oil.

I don't see anything in the oil on the dipstick.,,do I need to drain it for a more thorough inspection? I've put several gallons of water in the surge tank coming home from a 1500 mile trip so I would think it would be fairly high if,it was in the oil!

Were you adding straight water? if you were it was steaming off. is there a lot of excess moisture out of the tail pipe. Coolant can only leak from one of three places, into the oil, into the exhaust or on the ground.

If your cooling fan isn't working, check the fan relay and fuse first before replacing fan

The fan works with the A/C but doesn't seem to come on when the A/C is off. It's blowing hot and I drove it around a few blocks after it was blowing heat into the car, but the fan never came on!

I have been adding straight water. Nothing on the ground, on the dipstick, and the engine isn't missing at all. I plan to pull the plugs and look for any white or clean plugs. There is still plenty of antifreeze in the car and a shop Imtook it to in Arizona even put a dye in the radiator but no sign of where it's going. There is a TSB about replacing the surge tank but I'm not sure it applies to the 2009 Hybred!

When you check the plugs let me know because at the moment i'm stumped but i'll keep researching

Best Answer Mark helpful

Pulled the plugs today and then look fine (see picture). I changed them since I had them out, 80,000 miles. I'm stumped except for the possibility of it going out the surge tank. TSB 09-06-02-006A This bulletin stil comes to mind.

Looks like the coolant was going into the oil after all. Today I drained the oil since the dipstick didn't tell me anything. Oil is kind of brown, probably from a dye one shop put into the coolant. I also go out about a gallon and a half of oil when I only put five quarts in about a month ago. Water must be evaporating out somehow. The car ran fine for 1500 miles coming home from Phoenix in March.

time to pressure test the cooling system and listen for an air leak

Coolant crossover assembly. It seeps out of gaskets. Therefore not a lot of pressure, to find it. Crazy design. I fixed mine, just a lot of labor for a couple dollar part

My car drains the coolant from the tank every couple days and doesn't have a leak the needle moves here and there what could be problem