Coolant flush necessary on 2009 Saturn Vue with 60k miles?

30

Asked by Sep 06, 2015 at 01:15 PM about the 2009 Saturn VUE XR V6 AWD

Vehicle runs fine. Due for 60k service. Told by Service Dept a
coolant flush and fuel injection cleaning should be done. Is that
necessary? Thanks for input. (PS fuel injection service was done
at 30k service, coolant flush never done).

80,385

I wouldn't. I bought my '93 Chevy Caprice brand new and had the cooling system flushed every 2 years (old green style antifreeze). After going through 3 radiators and 2 intake manifold gaskets, the car was still losing coolant when I sold it in 2012. Unless I'm having a cooling system issue, I won't flush another cooling system again. Same deal with the fuel injector cleaning. If your Saturn is running fine, I wouldn't bother. If it works, don't fix it. HTH. -Jim

Best Answer Mark helpful
66,695

If it were mine I would have the coolant system flushed and the coolant changed. Your coolant is 5 or 6 years old so it is time. The fuel injection service is not necessary and I would use an occasional bottle of Techron fuel system cleaner to keep the fuel system clean. I probably would have the brake fluid changed also.

30

Thanks folks. I think I am going to go with Bob's recommendation, I do lots of high speed highway driving, and stop and go city driving in NJ, where this summer has been mostly above 90 degrees, and our winters have been brutally cold and long lasting. It can't hurt, and I need to hang onto this vehicle for as long as I possibly can! I have a really good "shade tree" mechanic, which will save me $ over the dealership Service Dept.

975

I am at 104k on my 2008 Vue, live in Minnesota and have not done a flush yet. May have to take a look into doing it now, but as far as your concerned I would dig deeper into it first if it is truly necessary, also check what the manual says vs. the dealer. Dealers make most of their money from their shop. Pushing 30k, 60k, 75k, 90k, service intervals on their customers is the way they make big bucks with little work. Oil change is your number one most important thing to keep internal engine repairs to a min. I change mine every 3k. Also they are cheap, most dealers use them as incentive to get you in the shop to try and talk you into more repairs/services.

30

Thank you, Kartboarder, your input is always helpful and much appreciated!! And, it is the truth... I got "rooked" at my 30k service, interestingly by the same dealer who wanted to sell me a new transmission before even checking out the problem I was having, the 3-5- r wave plate, which after going to another GM dealership for a "2nd opinion" was replaced for free due to transmission special coverage. I have wised up and will investigate further, as you suggest. This is such a great website!